I need to stay off Craigslist

Here's the story.  The last couple of months I've been looking for a disk brake front end for my 84 IT200. Any 43mm forks would be fine really didn't care what they came off off. An 85 rm250 roller came up for sale. Excellent , the rm had some of the best conventional forks so it would be a good donor.  But there's a catch I needed to buy the complete working 85 rm250 to get it. We'll the price was cheap enough so I bought them . I did get an extra  bottom end with missing parts , cylinder and head,  and some plastic. 

Now I need to figure out what I want to do with the running rm. The bike needs a ton of work, it starts,  shifts and stop and is all there. I kind of feel sorry for it being so neglected. Like a 3 legged dog with one eye full of fleas that has uncontrollable diarrhea. Don't know if I should clean it up and give it a home or take it out back and put it down. 

20170826_172702.jpg

20170826_172717.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

Here's the story.  The last couple of months I've been looking for a disk brake front end for my 84 IT200. Any 43mm forks would be fine really didn't care what they came off off. An 85 rm250 roller came up for sale. Excellent , the rm had some of the best conventional forks so it would be a good donor.  But there's a catch I needed to buy the complete working 85 rm250 to get it. We'll the price was cheap enough so I bought them . I did get an extra  bottom end with missing parts , cylinder and head,  and some plastic. 

Now I need to figure out what I want to do with the running rm. The bike needs a ton of work, it starts,  shifts and stop and is all there. I kind of feel sorry for it being so neglected. Like a 3 legged dog with one eye full of fleas that has uncontrollable diarrhea. Don't know if I should clean it up and give it a home or take it out back and put it down. 

20170826_172702.jpg

20170826_172717.jpg

If you're reaching out on a public forum for advice then you already know the answer.

You have the forks/disc for your Yamaha so sell or even give that RM away before you spend a fortune on a bike that isn't worth fixing up. 

I'm going to go over the bike today and see what it really needs. The bike does work so it has that going for it.   From doing some searching there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the 80s RM'S . There is no real value or demand  in the bike right now. Either it will remain that way or at some point will start going up in value.  Once the mid 80s Hondas reach a point where they become  to expensive  the other bikes may gain more appeal. One thing I have realized is all bikes are money pits. Whether its my new 17 ktm 250xc  or something old it take $$ to keep a bike running. 

Having other bikes from the mid 80s era I'm curious about the RM. There is no way i would ever spend the $$ on a full restoration that would be insane. I have $300 in the bike right now. If I can spend $500 or less to get it working good  I would have no problem with that. You can buy a 10 year old bike and easily drop $1000 into it whats the difference. 

I have an 85 cr250, had 2 1985 kx250s in the past. Would be kind of cool to have all 4 brands of Japanese  250 mx bikes from 1985.  

• Like 1

I say save it. I'm in the same boat with the '86 cr250. It's a pile of parts currently but, like your RM, I saw potential in it and decided to save it. I say another '80s RM wouldn't be a bad thing to see. I don't see very many of them around.

OP, I knew I was going to have a busy summer anyway so I have barely looked at CL since spring.  I discovered I had many more days to work on the bikes I already have PLUS tweaking up a riding area I have.  So NOT looking at CL is working out great for me this summer.  Not sure how this will go come winter, though!

• Like 1

I have enough projects at home that I do not bother looking for more. I would buy something that had parts I need and then create another project from the remnants. So on and so it goes :)

• Like 2