05 YZ250 - Upgrading to 1 1/8" bars

Hey guys, 

Looking to clarify some info on the 05 and trying to upgrade the 7/8 bars to fat bars. From what I have read, the 05 triples are 1mm closer than 06+. 

If I were to buy another set of stock triples, what bikes and years would fit without pressing in a new steering stem or changing the front end?

Thanks for reading, appreciate any knowledge with it!

28 minutes ago, internalcombust said:

mQI42--9376yftxrEVNqNAQ.jpgwhy not just use an adapter?

Edit: nevermind, wasn't thinking.

I'll check those out and see how they are. Thanks.

Edited by MaybeMe

Just now, internalcombust said:

These adapters bolt to the 7/8 bar clamp lowers and then you mount your bars to them.

Sent from my SM-G925V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yeah, thought about it after. I may go with the Applied top and bottom clamp set. It would save my arms big time from the vibrating.

Thanks

• Like 1

The adapters came on an 05 YZ125 I bought a few years ago (sold since).  They work, but they also serve as risers which I didn't like at all.  I wound up getting just a top clamp from BRP, and that setup worked great.

Why do you consider the fat bars an "upgrade"?   I have bikes with 7/8 bars, and bikes with fat bars.  The fat bars, in my opinion, are a total pain in the ass.  They make most handguards much harder to mount securely because of the taper, and they also make it harder to tie the bike down in the truck/trailer without a dedicated set of straps, or a hook mounting point (I use a loop mounted on the triple clamps).  If you go with someone else, you have to remember to bring your own tie down stuff.   I suppose they are marginally more durable, but modern 7/8 bars can take some serious crashes.  It's been a couple of years (at least) for me since I've bent 7/8 bars.

I feel like there are LOTS of things better to spend money on rather than trying to adapt fat bars to an older bike.  

OP probably used that word because the modern Yamahas all come with oversize now.  But there are a lot of reasons why folks choose oversize over 7/8.  Many of them are psychological, to be sure.  I have my own reasons (both psychological and practical), and I'm sure OP's are totally different.

4 hours ago, rpt50 said:

Why do you consider the fat bars an "upgrade"?   I have bikes with 7/8 bars, and bikes with fat bars.  The fat bars, in my opinion, are a total pain in the ass.  They make most handguards much harder to mount securely because of the taper, and they also make it harder to tie the bike down in the truck/trailer without a dedicated set of straps, or a hook mounting point (I use a loop mounted on the triple clamps).  If you go with someone else, you have to remember to bring your own tie down stuff.   I suppose they are marginally more durable, but modern 7/8 bars can take some serious crashes.  It's been a couple of years (at least) for me since I've bent 7/8 bars.

I feel like there are LOTS of things better to spend money on rather than trying to adapt fat bars to an older bike.  

Way easier to find bars imo. Between myself and my friends, we have probably close to 20 extra sets of 1 1/8 bars that would come in handy when I bend a set. I have a couple sets of 7/8s just in case, but 1 1/8 would make life easier and give me the tiny bit of confidence they won't bend as easy. 

No reason to shell out for more bars when I could spend the same and have plenty of bars to choose from. Plus I don't think any bikes come with 7/8s anymore, so it must be a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikedabike said:

I have never had to use any sort of special tie downs with 1-1/8 bars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

As long as you hook them right under the crossbar where it's 7/8, it's usually fine. Or just pull the strap through the closed part of the hook so it cinches.

14 hours ago, mikedabike said:

I have never had to use any sort of special tie downs with 1-1/8 bars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ThumperTalk mobile app

If the bike has hand guards there will likely not be enough room on the narrow part of the bar to get a "standard" tie down (like anything you buy at HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc.) in a safe position.  In fact, I just sold a KTM with fat bars, and the new owner only had standard tie downs with him when he came to get the bike.  I did not want to send him on the drive home (rather long) with some half-ass tie down job holding his new bike, so I had to run out to HF and buy some nylon loops for him (no, I didn't have to, but I wanted to do things right).  The reason I didn't already have the loops for the bike is that I had given mine to someone else having the same problem a few weeks earlier, and they had not been returned.  

Different strokes for different folks, but between additional cost, hand guard mounting difficulties, and potential transport hassles, I would never spend money to alter a bike that came with 7/8 bars and clamps.