Xr400 Help and Advice.

You ask: Rounded off - Where do I go from here?

Well since you stated earlier that you intend to install a crf450 cam chain, then take a dremel tool with cut off wheel and carefully cut your old chain off.

Then you can take your cam with stuck rounded bolt to a machine shop to get removed.

Naturally use oil soaked rags and other precautions to keep metal shavings & grinding grit out of your motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RideEnduros said:

You ask: Rounded off - Where do I go from here?

Well since you stated earlier that you intend to install a crf450 cam chain, then take a dremel tool with cut off wheel and carefully cut your old chain off.

Then you can take your cam with stuck rounded bolt to a machine shop to get removed.

Naturally use oil soaked rags and other precautions to keep metal shavings & grinding grit out of your motor.

That is a solid plan. Too bad those cam chains don't have a master link like a drive chain.

34 minutes ago, afm774 said:

I could be mistaken, but I think you can still push a pin out of the cam chain.

That could work. The push pin from a regular chain braker would be too big to push the cam chain pin thru but it would be enough to get it started then you could tap it out the rest of the way with a pin punch.

bike_master_chain_breaker420525.jpg

@Timmy Chonga it looks pretty typical. Just a lot of carbon buildup and grime. While you're down this far its a good idea to check for scoring on the jug and gap the piston to the jig. If you have a machine shop close, have them hone the jug and then re-gap everything. Replace the rings since they are fairly cheap.   

If you are interested in getting all of the carbon off your piston and head go to the store and get you some Heavy Duty Easy-Off spray. Mask off the aluminum areas that may get overspray as the chemicals will discolor them. Spray the carbon buildup and let it soak for 5 minutes. Scrub with a brass brush, rinse and repeat until clean. If you accidentally spray on some aluminum parts just wipe it off with a wet towel asap.   

Not to me. I've done up MUCH worse. It will clean up and be fine. Just don't use any sharp objects (like a chisel or exacto knife) near the mating surfaces.