DRZ400 engine noise is driving me nuts

I'm a newbie here coming off a 17 year relationship with a KLR600. I bought an 08 DRZ400 with 3,400 miles that looks to be in great shape. It has the 3X3, JD jetting, amd a Devol skid plate. The engine mechanical noise is driving me nuts. I have searched this site and others for information about level of noise coming from the engine and I understand they are a bit noisy. Not surprisingly, the noise is not as loud with the skid plate off. I have ridden this one about 300 miles and the noise hasn't changed. I changed the oil and there was no indication of metal in the oil or filter. The bike runs really well but I can't get over this engine noise thing. Is there anything I should check to confirm it is normal? I don't want this thing to leave me stranded smewhere out on a trail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLKGmvU4oIo

Edited by john Bee

When I first bought my, slightly used, S and started spending time with it, I obsessed over the sounds it made. I was sure they unloaded a known problem on my star-struck ass. I read posts, started threads and listened to Youtube samples. All the time people here told me that it was "normal" and "just ride it". That was in 2005.....It was normal and I've been happily ridding it, (a lot), ever since!

Funny thing is, now that it is getting a little long in the tooth and the valves are starting to move a little I'm starting to obsess a little again.

Especially now that it has developed a mid RPM surge issue I can not seem to adjust out.

• Like 1

I just went through the same exact situation as you a few months ago buddy. I know it's kinda stressful but your engine sounds perfectly fine to me. If you start hearing a higher pitched rattling sound however that would be your cam chain and you should get a manual tensioner to fix that. I got the manual cam chain tensioner right after getting the bike just so I wouldn't have to deal with it later on.

• Like 2