Crankcase quiz

17 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

I don't know why you're spending so much effort on an unstable three-wheeler but I guess you have your reasons.  Two or four wheels are so much more stable.  

It's no effort. Been doing these conversions for over 25 years. Unstable? Don't believe everything 20/20 said just to release the ambulance chasers.

On 8/29/2017 at 1:49 PM, Daniel627 said:

I would love to have an '85-86 ATC 250R, but everyone thinks they're made of gold now. 

Greenhuman has atc70's with 230 motors??? That's sick! 

My mom rides a CanAm Spyder, I won't talk shit. She has bad knees and can't hold up the Heritage Softail that would be hers. Makes me happy she can ride along with my dad on his Road King. 

Understandable. I'm sure if I rode a quad more I'd feel more comfortable on them. I won't knock them cuz they're still fun. A Fat Cat would be bad ass to have, but I think they're about as rare as, well, something that's rare lol. 

IMG_1117.jpg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, greenhuman said:

Don't get me started.

I'm right there with ya! Greenhuman, those 70's are bad ass! I wanna ride one! Being that they're smaller, I'd be a little afraid of going balls out on em, but they look a hell of a lot of fun :ride:

On 28/08/2017 at 6:41 PM, greenhuman said:

Honda CRF230L cases to use the redundant foot peg mounts for my ATC90 foot pegs. Cases are bored to accept a 74mm OD sleeve. The crank is only 40g heavier than a lightened crank due to the balance holes. The cases are slightly notched at the bottom of the breather cavity for the 74.2mm stroker. I don't bother with the lower new cases screw as I bolt the cases together with a 6mm bolt through the old lower front engine mount hole which also runs a locator dowel.

70mm bore (285cc) or even larger? :goofy:

Tpc trikes sells the triple trees for $175, I think one would have to press the crf450 stem into it. They charge an extra $175 to provide (I think) the stem and press it in. The front end wouldn't be hard. But the swingarm for the rear, that's gotta be a pain in the ass to fab up. 

I still think the 80's fat cats would've been a lil more comfy under the ass though 

18 hours ago, MarkandtheBRP said:

Here's the baddest a** Fat Cat... EVER

CRF450X with lots of custom fab to cut it down. A work of art

IMG_3900.jpg

I'd like to see a photo of the other side.  The Yama big wheel has two drive chains with a jack shaft to clear the wide tire.  Those would be awesome on the beach, dunes, or sand wash, but that's about it.  Very cool.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a photo of the other side.  The Yama big wheel has two drive chains with a jack shaft to clear the wide tire.  Those would be awesome on the beach, dunes, or sand wash, but that's about it.  Very cool.

No intention to throw poo on this post but I used to go to the Oregon coast dune system year after year in the 90's during the annual events "Sand Fest" and the "Dune Fest" and there were always many different venders there set up during those weeks.
One vender that was there many times sold kits to convert ATC 250r three wheelers into big wheels. There were always a bunch of them there. Many had CR500r engines in them.
And yes, they were Cool back then as well, and fast

It does have 2 drive chains. Not mine or my project, I stumbled across them when in Oregon a couple of years ago
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2017 at 10:39 PM, MarkandtheBRP said:

Here's the baddest a** Fat Cat... EVER

CRF450X with lots of custom fab to cut it down. A work of art

IMG_3900.jpg

Thats cool right there. I sold my Honda Fat cat just today. Had it for over 20 years. The geometry, suspension was not very good. It was cool, different, but not that much fun to ride. It was basically a cruiser. Good for putting around. Now this Extreme Fat Cat. I bet it would be loads of fun. How well does it steer? 

24 minutes ago, 1gr8bldr said:

Thats cool right there. I sold my Honda Fat cat just today. Had it for over 20 years. The geometry, suspension was not very good. It was cool, different, but not that much fun to ride. It was basically a cruiser. Good for putting around. Now this Extreme Fat Cat. I bet it would be loads of fun. How well does it steer? 

It'd been a number of years since I'd seen a Fat Cat it seems, until I just looked at some earlier today. After looking at them, you're right, the rake on the fat cat looks like it gives it awkward geometry. While looking at the Yamaha BW, the geometry looks like it belongs. 

The way I'm thinking, which could be the case, is Honda decided not to retool and just used up the atc frames left in the warehouse, not looking that deep into ride-ability. While Yamaha did a lil R&D, and made changes to the head tube as necessary to make it ready for tons of fun. 

I've never gotten to ride either, but both look fun. I thought I remembered Honda making a 2 wheeler out of the atc250r? Or was that just an aftermarket company that made a kit to swap it?

The original real fat cats were a hand full. I bought one for my wife. She liked it but barley rode it. I had to sell it before something bad happened as it weighed a ton. It also had a nasty habit of following ruts. Then went to a little Yamaha bw 80 it was manageable but too small. I couldn't win. 

I never tried the little Yamaha 200 with the fatter tires and low seat height. That might have been perfect but was missing a automatic clutch for her. :excuseme:  

The 

1 hour ago, stevethe said:

The original real fat cats were a hand full. I bought one for my wife. She liked it but barley rode it. I had to sell it before something bad happened as it weighed a ton. It also had a nasty habit of following ruts. Then went to a little Yamaha bw 80 it was manageable but too small. I couldn't win. 

I never tried the little Yamaha 200 with the fatter tires and low seat height. That might have been perfect but was missing a automatic clutch for her. :excuseme:  

The BW200 was a keeper.  It was GREAT on the beach.  I wish I could zip-tie one onto my back for when I get to a sandwash.  Great beginners bike.  On hard dirt ruts, no good.  It's only for riding in sand.  Sand ruts, you don't really feel them.  You can ride it on a smooth dirt road also but nothing gnarly.  On asphalt, it's a chore to turn, very strange.  My buddy had his for twenty years, first at Glamis then Baja. 

Edit: I almost forgot, his BW 200 fell into a swimming pool in Palm Springs.

They also made a BW350 two years only.  

Edited by Baja Rambler
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Daniel627 said:

It'd been a number of years since I'd seen a Fat Cat it seems, until I just looked at some earlier today. After looking at them, you're right, the rake on the fat cat looks like it gives it awkward geometry. While looking at the Yamaha BW, the geometry looks like it belongs. 

The way I'm thinking, which could be the case, is Honda decided not to retool and just used up the atc frames left in the warehouse, not looking that deep into ride-ability. While Yamaha did a lil R&D, and made changes to the head tube as necessary to make it ready for tons of fun. 

I've never gotten to ride either, but both look fun. I thought I remembered Honda making a 2 wheeler out of the atc250r? Or was that just an aftermarket company that made a kit to swap it?

Mine was very much like driving a 4wheeler. It steered about the same. Was hard to steer. And did not steer sharp. The front was meant to stay on the ground. It had a wind up power. Nothing that would lift the front other than maybe 1st. And no clutch to shoot power to the wheels. Was quiet riding it to and from deer hunting.  I thought I liked it.... until I rode my first dirt bike. Then I never wanted to ride it again. Funny how likes and dislikes are relative to what you had in the past. Was no good in mud or the snow, fat tire would not cut the snow like a dirt bike front tire.