Sign in to follow this  

Fox Shock on the XT

I have the shock on my bike and really like it, but am curious about one thing; the spring length. There's only about 6 threads left on the shock body. It's as if the spring is to small. Anybody familiar with it know what the deal is? TIA

Ha ha! Thanks Marylander, that FB link above is from my post.  I wondered about spring length too when collecting that information, so I poked around on the web for a while trying to figure it out.  It appears that the gist is that advances in materials and manufacturing processes allow for springs made with thinner wire and fewer coils for a given spring rate.  There appears to be three primary benefits of this: 1) The spring is lighter vs. one made from more coils of thicker wire. 2) the thinner wire spring with fewer coils has more travel for a give length, so shorter lengths are possible, and 3) Shorter springs fit a wider variety of applications.

There's a bit more about the concept here on Race Tech's page.  If some one wants a longer spring for some reason, one of these Eibach's 10" springs should work.  Personally I like the Fox spring's short length because it provides some extra space for the airbox boot next to it.

Thanks for the replies. It seems to work well, so not planning on changing it, just curious.