Fuel economy (or lack thereof)

I'm currently sitting by the side of the highway, completely out of gas. Here's my trip odometer, sitting at 36 miles. What the heck am I doing wrong? What do I need to fix? I was under the impression I'd be getting a hell of lot more miles out of every tank, even on a completely stock DRZ-400E.

IMG_20170827_091735181_HDR.jpg

That's about all you can expect from a DRZ :rolleyes:

Ok, so maybe a little less than most......was it producing black smoke? You either have a carb metering issue, didn't start with a full tank or a leak. I'd load a gas can and head your way but BC isn't neighbouring Wyoming.

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 1

Do you have one of those Flow valves on you fuel tank vent hose? I observed a fuel leak coming from the FCR on my 400......so without much thought I tore carb off bike and went through fuel system (Inlet needle, float weight, float height).....hours later not really having found anything.....took bike on a short test ride and when I parked it....AGAIN fuel running out of overflow hose from carb bowl.....then it hit me....cracked open fuel cap on tank and heard the SHHHH sound of pressurized fuel......Trick valve on vent hose was allowing tank pressurization in hot mid day sun. Solution.....slightly crack fuel cap on hot days because my wif complains about gas odor with bike parked in the garage.

Are you truly out of gas? Did you unscrew the gascap and look in the tank? Maybe someone stole your gas before you left for your ride. When you put it on reserve, how many miles did you go? The screens on the petcock, inside the gastank can get gummed up, preventing fuel flow, making it appear that your out of gas. My fullsize Chevy van burns 2 1/2gallons of gas in 36miles

• Like 1

On August 27, 2017 at 0:10 PM, shuswap1 said:

That's about all you can expect from a DRZ :rolleyes:

Ok, so maybe a little less than most......was it producing black smoke? You either have a carb metering issue, didn't start with a full tank or a leak. I'd load a gas can and head your way but BC isn't neighbouring Wyoming.

I've only had my "S" for a short period of time I keep a gas can in the garage and have been filling it up before I've hit reserve.  Unless I'm remembering it wrong, I think I had nearly 100 miles on it before without hitting reserve.  I'm guessing with reserve it would be somewhere between 120 - 150 miles for a whole tank. I know the "E" model has the FCR carb which is thirstier but 36 miles doesn't seem normal to me.

Doc

1 hour ago, Bermudacat said:

Fuel economy is all in the wrist. :smirk:

True, but 36 miles to empty would take some serious 'wrist'

I suspect that the OP has missed some important clues in his diagnosis:)

Edited by shuswap1
  • Like 1

If you can't find anything obvious, start leaning the carb out. Stock these motors can take running on the lean side of optimum. But that FCR will never get near the 225 kms i got out my stock tank, bsr. S model.

On 8/30/2017 at 10:25 PM, shuswap1 said:

True, but 36 miles to empty would take some serious 'wrist'

I suspect that the OP has missed some important clues in his diagnosis:)

I got 74.9mpg during break-in once, and 26mpg doing 70mph with an 800 foot elevation gain. Both with the BSR.