Sign in to follow this  

Half clip options for Beta needles?

I like my jetting to be pretty spot on. The Beta came jetted pretty darn good from the factory, but it was a wee bit blubbery with the stock needle position (clip 2). So I dropped the needle to the 1st clip position, and now for the bike to run well (not feel flat) I've got to run the AS at only 3/4 turn out.

The needle that came in the bike is the NOZJ, and in the Beta jetting chart it lists the NOZK as the next richest needle.  If the needle ID is the same as the Yamaha and Suzuki needles, what would I even be looking for with the 3rd digit (1/2 clip increments) being a Z? To go richer, does it start to go to numbers since the Z is the last letter in the alphabet?

Or am I better off just saying screw it, and jump over to the Suzuki NExx needles? If I do jump to the Zook needles, are guys typically needing to change pilot and main sizes? Or are the needles similar enough to run the Beta sized jets?

The bike (2016 250RR RE) came with a 35P, 165M, and the NOZJ needle. Like I said, it's pretty darn decent (compared to the Yamaha 2 strokes I've had), but I would like to clean it up a 'tiny' bit to be spot on. The spare jets Beta supplied with my bike are for the 300RR (N2ZJ, and 35P), so whatever I move to I'll have to order in regardless.

• Like 1

I see that Sudco makes some, but nothing definitive if they work on the PWK carbs in the RR's.

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

I see that Sudco makes some, but nothing definitive if they work on the PWK carbs in the RR's.

I've been cleaning up my garage and I came across some of the washers I used for my hawk gt needle. If I can put my fingers on them again I'll send them to you. They've been sitting in the bin for a couple decades... :)

The problem with those shims is the needle no longer floats, and can wear the nozzle more rapidly.  I have done this to tune JD needles but machined the slide well .45mm deeper and ran the washer either above or below the clip to retain float.  That said I beleive the NIE* series are half clip cousins to the NOZ*.  I highly recommend the Suzuki needles in the 250RR.  Very good smooth power and excellent milage.  As a base line, I run this at 1K', 60-85 deg, and its perfect.

NEDW # 3

38 p

168m

a/s 1.5

• Like 1