Kreft revalve control AER review

I felt the need after a few months to share my experience on kreft suspension tuning. I raced into the A class from the 90s through 2005 and have been riding trails mostly since then. I've had suspension work from factory connection, pro circuit, Enzo, tbt, devol, rep, pro motion, moto pro... To name a few. Having the AER fork stock and valved by another shop I was relatively happy with them. I also snowbike and this bike (2016 factory edition sx-f 450) was bought to do both. I'll post an add on to this review on the air forks ability to work in sub 0 temp after a full season on them with the kreft work. But on to the dirt part of the review:

I did the full 1700 dollar suspension job. I know it's a lot, but it's for a purpose. The air fork can crank up to snowbike spring rates. With revalve control the valving can do woods soft and snowbike stiff by turning a dial. I got the microfinish also which is amazing buttery. 

150 miles of trails and this is the must plush, perfectly balanced, rock and root gobbling suspension I've ever ridden hands down... By a long shot. Set the sag and fork pressure as recommended in the chart tailored to me and I extra click of rebound dampening on the shock and it's money. A few buddies tried it also and about lost their minds. Slap down in a flat from a wheelie is like landing in a down ramp. The most noticeable change in the fork is the spring rate, it used to ramp fast.. Now it feels just like a spring fork. 

Yesterday I went to the local track for some laps in the pro/intermediate group at greysharbor. Just for sport I left the settings as is and went out to instantly bottom the fork hard on a baby little 30 foot double. In between rounds I broke out the chart kreft provided and change the fork and shock to mx intermediate / expert settings. 

What do you know.. Perfect. Damp, smooth, progressive. Blasted every triple and flat landed over shooting one double and it took it all like a champ. 

I'm just blown away with this stuff. Can't wait to set it up for snow and report back how it performs with the timbersled ARO 120 on it. 

Dan and Adam... Thank you, and damn fellas. Nice work. 

• Like 3

That's awesome man. I saw a review recently that racerx put out on a Husky 450 they built, Pingree said it was the best suspension he had ever rode in his life. Got me curious for sure

The parts they have made looks real good, obviously they have tested there selfs, but I find the oil volume change can be massive when adjusting the bleed system on the aer. 

Karl would you explain that a little more ?

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

Kreft got a raving review from ping , I have to admit I'm intrigued and would love to ride it to see if it lives up to the review

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

I only seen a pic from mog, from what I uderstood it allows you to adjust float externally, is this right??

Edited by karlace

The external revalve control is a spring tensioner on the valve stack that controls stiffness of valving via a screw down shaft with a 12mm nut that's outside on the base of the fork. Unlike the clicker that is a needle valve changing flow to the stack, this changes the stacks resistance. Both are in play and they have a chart that allows you to setup a baseline for each type of riding. Air pressure is unrelated to this setting and has little need for change from woods to mx. I added 2 psi to mine when I was struggling to clear slow stepups and realized I needed a bit more spring to lift the front end. 

• Like 1

I am really thinking about it for my 17te250. Suspension was good most of the year but at the end of the season was starting to get rough. With 80 hours on bike I figured it must be just the oil is getting baked and was just going to change oil and see how they feel. After reading about this revalve control it might work really good for all the different type of riding I do with bike.

Come down to seattle and try mine if you want. Still blown away, it's a snowbike now and the valving is cranked to the max, it's amazing how slow the compression is, works amazing on the timberseld thus far. Haven't got to hit something big yet but on a road and bumps ride I only used half the travel and was only at 175psi.

The aer should not be pushed past 50 hours on a service ,your on borrowed time ,the oil is only a small volume and will be very worn

From what I have read the revalve control is getting good reviews but the price is enough to buy a secondhand bike ? Ive seen for the cc and oc and 4cs you can now buy cone valve inserts , I bet they are not much more ?

I've got about 200 miles of off road/trail riding with the Kreft Revalve Control on my '17 450xcf.  I can honestly say it is the best suspended motorcycle I have owned, after having experienced multiple revalves on multiple bikes in the past.  The 4CS fork inspired me to sell an otherwise perfectly suited bike in the '16 350xcf - hoping for more comfort with the AER fork on the '17. From the first ride I could tell I would experience just that with the '17 AER.  I was, however, incredibly intrigued with the Kreft Revalve Control and decided to take the plunge  - and couldn't be happier!  Considerable improvement in smaller bumps and rocks, mid stroke harshness eliminated, and overall bottoming resistance all have been improved upon an already capable (in my opinon) stock AER fork and rear shock.  The range of tunability is incredible, and so far has been pretty spot on (with only a click or two of fine tuning in between).  The set up manual is easy and makes really helps with understanding what each adjustment will do with your suspension.  I've never felt a strong confidence in making suspension adjustments in the past, but after enlisting a few resources and following the instructions, I have been able to successfully get the results I have been looking for.   

• Like 3

I'm sending my suspension to kreft next week. I'm pretty excited to see how it works when I get it back.

If you guys in the US are paying that much I would hate to see what Aus shops charge for the same thing. Crazy money to drop on std forks

• Like 2

On 1/4/2018 at 10:07 PM, ecavaliere said:

I've got about 200 miles of off road/trail riding with the Kreft Revalve Control on my '17 450xcf.  I can honestly say it is the best suspended motorcycle I have owned, after having experienced multiple revalves on multiple bikes in the past.  The 4CS fork inspired me to sell an otherwise perfectly suited bike in the '16 350xcf - hoping for more comfort with the AER fork on the '17. From the first ride I could tell I would experience just that with the '17 AER.  I was, however, incredibly intrigued with the Kreft Revalve Control and decided to take the plunge  - and couldn't be happier!  Considerable improvement in smaller bumps and rocks, mid stroke harshness eliminated, and overall bottoming resistance all have been improved upon an already capable (in my opinon) stock AER fork and rear shock.  The range of tunability is incredible, and so far has been pretty spot on (with only a click or two of fine tuning in between).  The set up manual is easy and makes really helps with understanding what each adjustment will do with your suspension.  I've never felt a strong confidence in making suspension adjustments in the past, but after enlisting a few resources and following the instructions, I have been able to successfully get the results I have been looking for.   

@ecavaliere I'm in Socal and curious where you ride?  Trails, desert, or what type of terrain. ?

I just picked up an 19 FX350 with the AER and boy is the shock harsh on rocks and square edge hits both while moving slowly 2nd gear type stuff and higher speed 4th gear stuff.  Other than that the chassis is balanced and the bike handles good, with no bottoming issues.  

I have a 17 KTM 252sx that I use for single track. Sent them my suspension to be revalved for single track. I like the idea of the revalve control but with the recommended settings the suspension was too stiff for me. I called them several times and they told me that they didn't have any softer settings at this time. Somewhere around 6 to 8 months later I called them again and they said that they have some new setting and that they would pay for shipping if I paid for any wear part. $140.00 and close to a month later I got my suspension back. With the recommended settings its still too stiff for woods riding. I rode it on a mx track and loved the settings that they gave me for the woods. I called them again explaining to them that I'm not trying to be a pain but the suspension is still to stiff for me. He said that he would talk to a tech and call me back. Hasn't happen yet. Its been 4 to 5 days. I did some testing around my house and if I turn hs on shock and open the revalve control all the way out it works much better. I just don't like have the hs and revalve fully open because it lets the suspension blow thur the travel quickly. I told them that I'm not trying to be a problem I just want what I thought I was paying for. I gave them all my specs that I thought that they would need. I can do the work myself just didn't have the time. I still think that the revalve control is a good idea but it also depends upon the valving.