• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

JUST IN!   07/18/2018

Video: 2019 Yamaha YZ250F Features & Benefits 

Highlander01

1994 DR350SE starting issues

28 posts in this topic

Took the neutral switch apart today, tried to clean up what I could, put it back together and I'm getting continuity again. Still not getting the neutral light to turn on but that may just be the bulb. I went through more of the electrical connectors and didn't find anything that looked bad.

The bike won't even spark at all now where before it was intermittent...

Thinking CDI box again. 

Anything else I'm missing?

My ignition switch if turned about a mm past the ON position will let the starter spin but it won't start.

So.... could be your ignition switch.  CDI are usually the last thing to go, electrical connections, switches,  and wires the first thing to go :)  [on older bikes]

My ignition switch has idiosynracies as well.  The previous owner had to show me just how weird it was.

On 9/6/2017 at 11:07 PM, thedktor said:

My ignition switch if turned about a mm past the ON position will let the starter spin but it won't start.

So.... could be your ignition switch.  CDI are usually the last thing to go, electrical connections, switches,  and wires the first thing to go :)  [on older bikes]

Huh, did the ignition switch still show continuity when you tested it? Did you end up replacing the switch or do you just have to get it in the right spot? 

I went in to 6 Volt Cycles here in Bend and chatted with one of the mechanics, and he gave me some good tips for troubleshooting electrical components. Looks like I'll be going through every ground, switch and connection next time I can get in the garage. 

Point being the starter and ignition appear to be on a separate circuit, so just because the starter spins it doesnt mean the plug will spark.  On mine just putting the switch in the right position sorts it.

Might be worth checking the stop button if you have one. Normally stop buttons can just be disconnected to eliminate.

Gotcha. I'm still wrapping my head around all the different switches and electrical connections, so I definitely appreciate the advice. 

I'm having the exact same problem, turn the key on, bump start works but the electric start does not.  I've had the bike connected to a car battery so I'm not worried about lack of power, swapped the coil and plugs out for known working ones, even swapped the CDI out for a known working one.  No spark.  Have you tracked down the culprit yet?

On 7/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, AKanary said:

I'm having the exact same problem, turn the key on, bump start works but the electric start does not.  I've had the bike connected to a car battery so I'm not worried about lack of power, swapped the coil and plugs out for known working ones, even swapped the CDI out for a known working one.  No spark.  Have you tracked down the culprit yet?

I haven’t... Left the bike alone for the winter, put the battery back in and it started right up. Wouldn’t start at all after though... Thinking it might be the decompression valve or a flooding issue. Wish I could be more help, but the bike will be on the back burner for a while. Best of luck!