Jump to content

What year has the best suspension?

Recommended Posts

Curious what year KTM XC or XCW has the best suspension in your opinion. I'm thinking of getting a newer model 300XC with linkage for my next bike (currently have 07 300xcw). I have read the 2012 XC has pretty good suspension. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Joe.  My 03's sucked, my 10 was better, 13 was pretty good, and just had my first ride on my 17 on Saturday.  For a new bike, with no tweaking, and suspension that still needs breaking in, but impressive none the less.  The newer the better IMO. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive got a 12 with tuned suspension.

 

I ride with 3 guys on 17s with stock suspension... theyre all minutes faster than me!!!!!! wth?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 17 300XC with a re-valve in front and rear is good. I didn't find the stock suspension being 200 lbs the best, especially coming off a Yamaha.  It has some harsh points. I am 200lbs and running the 4.6 rear spring as stated in the manual. Sag numbers are good.

I demo rode the new 2018's and then my 17 re-valved back to back and it was much better. (this was on a track)

I've also ridden the new Xplor 48's on same type of re-valve as mine and they were super smooth. No complaints.

Edited by Tony211

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on an 18 300xc with stock suspension, I like it but I know it could be set up a little better. I came off of an 09 ktm 450 and had the suspension pretty well dialed.  If you send of your suspension they will set it up for your body type and riding style.  Any suspension can be dialed in perfect for you, it might be kinda spendy but worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will probably spring for OHLINS TTX inserts and shock come spring in 2018 just because. I wonder in the AER internals and shock will fit other years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, billtro11 said:

2012-1013 XC and SX have the sought after CC forks and linkage.  

Had them on my '12 xc but the 17 and newer AER are a huge step forward from them.

 

Joe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

Had them on my '12 xc but the 17 and newer AER are a huge step forward from them.

 

Joe

Ive really wanted to get on WP's AER after the 4CS debacle.   Thanks for the reminder to get on my buddies bike and check them out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 07 250XC came with 2004 Yamaha WR250 forks (I didn't know and got shafted on the purchase) so I really can't answer the question, but I have 2012 XC forks coming this week. Should be a nice upgrade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1997 SX 250, Marzocchi Magnum 50mm conventional front forks, and Ohlins rear shock. :goofy:

I was going to say 95 with the zokes or the 96 with the ohlins. But nothing wp sells. Asking which ktm has the best suspension is like going to a hog farm and asking which pig smells the best. Let's just say the factory boys don't ride anything ktm puts on the bikes they sell to the public.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, motocrotts said:


I was going to say 95 with the zokes or the 96 with the ohlins. But nothing wp sells. Asking which ktm has the best suspension is like going to a hog farm and asking which pig smells the best. Let's just say the factory boys don't ride anything ktm puts on the bikes they sell to the public.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Please....like all mfg, some models in some years were not so great ( ever ride Japanese mx with air forks) , but ktm the last few years have made huge improvements. 

 

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very true Joe, but still none of their riders run what they sell to the general public. I'll shut up when KR lines up at the next gncc with a pair of explor forks on his bike or aer 's for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Edited by motocrotts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Droptyne said:

My 07 250XC came with 2004 Yamaha WR250 forks (I didn't know and got shafted on the purchase) so I really can't answer the question, but I have 2012 XC forks coming this week. Should be a nice upgrade. 

That's interesting, I thought Yamaha forks were supposed to be great. 

Let me know how the new forks work out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anyone really called Yamaha suspension great, until 2006 when the SSS suspension came out. But these forks didn't even fit in the triple clamp. Yes they were 48 mm, but the area where the bottom clamp tightens never made contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, motocrotts said:

Very true Joe, but still none of their riders run what they sell to the general public. I'll shut up when KR lines up at the next gncc with a pair of explor forks on his bike or aer 's for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app
 

Well most other factory teams do not ride the stock suspensions either so BIG deal.....LOL :smirk:

 

 

Joe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×