07 crf450r clutch issue

Just got the bike back from the shop for a complete rebuild, got the motor installed and it fired rite up no problem. Now the issue is when I pull in the clutch lever and put it in gear it like I didn't even pull the clutch lever in! I've taken the clutch side apart, everything seems fine the baskets have no groves or anything, fibers are all good... even if I fully engage the clutch actuator with pliers it don't help it still seems like it's not doing anything! Anyone have any ideas or things to look for?

13 minutes ago, spaz-spray said:

I just tried it in top gear it will roll with clutch pulled in

So the clutch is dragging, not failing to disengage at all.  When you put the bike in a higher gear you increase the mechanical advantage of the rear wheel to over come the clutch drag.  Now, what to do about it?  My '92 Aprillia trials bike developed an issue where the clutch would be totally locked up when I unloaded the bike and started it up the first time.  With a trials bikes low gearing I had to shift it up into fourth gear before I could get the clutch to break loose.  Once the clutch let go, it worked fine through out the rest of the day, even in the lower gears.  I never could figure that problem out.  If your bike is fresh off a rebuild I would suggest you try the following, at least for one ride.  Put the bike into top gear and push it around a bit with the clutch pulled in.  After you have "unstuck" the clutch plates put the bike in neutral and start it up.  Point the bike out into an open area and then put the bike into first gear with the clutch pulled in.  Be ready, it may take off.  If the bike takes off try standing on the rear brake to make the clutch plates break loose.  If none of this works hit the kill switch.  I suspect your clutch just needs to "break in" a bit.

Edited by GlennRay

3 minutes ago, spaz-spray said:

Thank you for the advice, I will try it tomorrow when I get home from work!

Make sure that you are pointed out into an open area that will allow you to maintain control of the bike and not hit anything!

3 minutes ago, spaz-spray said:

Yea first time I did it was in my garage, needless to say it was sketchy at best!

I predict that the clutch action will get better with use and even better after you change the oil in the engine the first time.  Is your clutch cable activated or hydraulic?