Are you late-model RMZ owners still happy about choice?

So...current YZ 250 smoker rider/racer once again searching for my new 4-stroke.  I know...all the bikes of today are great, and reliable if you care for them properly.  I can make the case for just about any of the brands and sizes (250F or 450/350) but I keep coming back to the idea of buying a new or leftover RMZ 250 for the same reasons that you guys selected your bike.  The turning/handling, punchy power, and hopefully, the reliability all sound like what I want.  I owned a 2007 RMZ 250 that was decked out with all the right bolt-ons about 6 years ago and it was a great bike.  I mostly have owned/raced YZ 250Fs though the years, though.  So...you guys that actually bought the RMZ 250s....can you say that you picked right or have you thought that maybe you should have bought something else?  My inclination is to go blue again, since it has been great since 2014 and the EFI backwards motor was introduced, but the RMZs seem to be available at a nice discount from many dealers.  So...would you buy the RMZ all over again if you could???   

Hi, I purchased a 2014 RM-Z250 in '14, Im 6'0" and heavy for a 250f at 230lbs plus gear. 

I installed a Yoshimura RS-4 and a K&N air filter (big difference) and use the grey\rich coupler. Sent fork and shock to Factory Connection to get dialed in (very happy with the settings)

Love the bike! Been reliable(I keep up with it) and the chassis is great!

Motor wise, easy to ride, plenty of power (with pipe and air filter, let it breath), gear box is great and I did go up 1 tooth on r-sprocket to get into 3rd sooner. Weak link is the clutch, It tends to heat up fast which requires on the fly adjustment (I installed Pro-Taper cluch lever which helps a ton). An after market clutch basket and set up would take care of this.

Overall, been very happy with the RM-Z, would I buy another one? Yes l, with one reservation, I would make a call to factory connection to inquire if they could get the air fork to work as well as my coil fork.

When you have the chassis dialed on these bikes are amazing!!

Was riding yesterday in very muddy conditions and the feont wheel simply sticks!

Good luck!

On 8/27/2017 at 4:18 PM, thsp485 said:

So...current YZ 250 smoker rider/racer once again searching for my new 4-stroke.  I know...all the bikes of today are great, and reliable if you care for them properly.  I can make the case for just about any of the brands and sizes (250F or 450/350) but I keep coming back to the idea of buying a new or leftover RMZ 250 for the same reasons that you guys selected your bike.  The turning/handling, punchy power, and hopefully, the reliability all sound like what I want.  I owned a 2007 RMZ 250 that was decked out with all the right bolt-ons about 6 years ago and it was a great bike.  I mostly have owned/raced YZ 250Fs though the years, though.  So...you guys that actually bought the RMZ 250s....can you say that you picked right or have you thought that maybe you should have bought something else?  My inclination is to go blue again, since it has been great since 2014 and the EFI backwards motor was introduced, but the RMZs seem to be available at a nice discount from many dealers.  So...would you buy the RMZ all over again if you could???   

I have a new leftover '16.  Honestly for moto I am sure it is outstanding, but that ship sailed for me about ten years ago.  I now ride off road exclusively at least three days a week, and so far, for my conditions, I am not that thrilled with the bike.  I do really technical riding (think Trask Two Day ISDE Qualifier if you were riding in the late nineties for the last one) and a two stroke is generally a much better choice for my conditions, however, I wanted to see how the Zook would do in my terrain.  So far, with minimal mods, it just feels too top heavy and chunky.  I know this is a four stroke trait and is not limited to the RMZ.  I need to revalve the suspension obviously, but I wanted to get a feel for stock first- and to see if the bike warranted spending money on it.  That said, I think for more open terrain that is less technical, it would be awesome.... and in the more open less technical areas it does seem fairly capable.  For me, and my needs, I think I will keep mixing gas.

I am sure someone here will ask me why I bought the bike, considering my terrain.  Well, just for fun!  And to try something new.  I may keep it for my occasional trips to the open country on the east side of the state.

Intermediate MX and A offroad for ability here.

I have a new '16 with under 20 hrs on it, and love it. The handling, the weight, and I even gel with the stock PSF-2 fork!! Love it. Replaced the air filter cage with one off of an 07 RM 2 stroke and put on a Yosh slip on. Very happy. I ride it 80 % mx, but is really good in GP style races/tracks, too.  Seems to flame out too easily in stock mapping for tighter off road.

I am picking up a very low-hour 2017 RMZ 250 this Saturday.  I think the bike is great.

Just picked up a 2017 leftover myself, great deal!  Anyway, I love the bike so far, feels really good and coming from a 450, its nice to be able to relax a little bit when riding.  I am a larger rider (215lbs) and comparing to my fully worked 2010 CRF450R, I am pretty impressed with the suspension and handling of this bike, especially since it weighs about the same as my 450.  Feels a lot lighter and more nimble though, just like I've read in all of the shootout reviews.  I've heard that if you treat these bikes right, they will run forever with little overhaul needed.

• Like 1

I was searching for something I could ride more steadily for MX track days.  My YZ 250 was a  bit too much of a hotrod for me.  This 2017 already has a 270 kit installed and has 15 hours on it.  I cannot wait to hit the track.  I hope I chose well.DSCN2317.JPG.acc16aca3654322c37bf80b90b1ec70f.JPGDSCN2317.JPG.acc16aca3654322c37bf80b90b1ec70f.JPG

DSCN2317.JPG

• Like 1

270 is definitely something I'm going to consider when the time comes.  Enjoy!  let us know how it rides..

My first track day was yesterday.  Our track has not seen rain in over two months, so it was very hard as the day wore on.  So....the 2017 RMZ is all that I was asking for in a bike, but is not perfect.  First off...it is noticeable heavier than my 2013 YZ 250F.  Lifting it off the bike stand would make you think it is a 450.  The 270cc motor feels like a mini-450 in a lot of ways.  The Showa air fork works well but is not close to the plushness of the Yamaha KYB SSS forks that my YZ 250 had.  Turning is great....the bike stays planted and gives a lot of confidence.  The grips are way too hard....I will be swapping them for the pillow-top style soon.  My hands hurt today due to the hard track and stiffness of the fork and grips.  Overall....I am happy with my choice and will learn to adjust the fork to my liking I am sure.  Great bike for sure.

We've had the same issues here until recently with hard packed, dusty tracks.  But I will say having taken this bike through hard pack, mud, deep sand, even a couple tight single track loops, I couldn't be happier with the way it handles.  I'm sure the 270 is nice to have, but I honestly have no regrets about giving up some power for the handling characteristics of this bike.  I enjoy it more and more each time I ride.  

• Like 1

So, last week I took my 250 to a track that I have so far only taken my 450s to. Deep sand, huge elevation changes. I was skeptical as to how my 250 would do. I used a Litpro to record lap times, and apparently I was cutting similar or even faster times on the 250!!! And this is before I removed the airfilter backfire screen.

• Like 1

This past weekend I took my RMZ 250 (270) to the same track that I visited a couple weeks before, this time we had seen some rain in the days prior to the prepped practice day.  I really enjoyed my RMZ a ton this time.  The track was softer and it allowed to bike to feel less rigid.  I could ride better each lap without the hand-pump that my 250 smoker would cause and I felt more comfortable each lap.  I know I made the right choice, even though I really enjoyed the smoker for all-round dirt-bike duty.  On a track, though...the 250F is great.

• Like 1