Just Picked up my First Husky, a '05 TE510

Got it for a cool $2k, clean title already plated. It needs a little work, some new fork seals, headlight, and cosmetics, but it runs good and strong and had no issues.

Anyone here have experience with these bikes to give me any kinds of heads up on what I should look for? Also a reliable place to get parts for it?

I've been looking for a big bore dualsport for a while, I think once I get this all tuned up it'll be the best of every world, or at least I'm hoping! Honestly seemed a little less torquey than my 350 sxf, but I liked the power delivery.

rZyHtdh.jpg

• Like 3

I had a 05 TE 510 for 7 years  and it was a great bike. I liked motosportzhusqvarna for parts. The 510 was a lot of fun with very few mods needed. I installed a jd jet kit to make it run better and start easier, I would recommend the 06 jet kit though.  I also had a skid plate, hand guards and a heat shield. I do miss that bike.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, rancher1 said:

I had a 05 TE 510 for 7 years  and it was a great bike. I liked motosportzhusqvarna for parts. The 510 was a lot of fun with very few mods needed. I installed a jd jet kit to make it run better and start easier, I would recommend the 06 jet kit though.  I also had a skid plate, hand guards and a heat shield. I do miss that bike.

The JD jet kit is definitely on my to-do list. 06 model noted though, thanks!

What would you recommend for gearing? It seems 1-3 is so short, especially for the dirt they're almost useless. I haven't counted what's on it now though. Are there any places to get graphics kits for the blue/yellow version? Looks like everyone runs the red and black combo but I like the blue.

If you can think of anything else let me know! I'm really looking forward to doing some long motocamping trips on this bike.

7T9hDG3.jpg

bNA1ble.jpg

oCy1cmS.jpg

Edited by dR0
  • Like 2

I have an '08 510 , the ever popular efi that is questionable . I'm running 14/47 or something close , it's done at 65-70mph or at least vibs and high rpm stop me from going more on the street . I really like the bike but need to put the balance in to cut vibes down so I can ride it more than 20 miles at a time . I don't know how the '05's are .

I get most of my part from the UK , Husky world or something like that . Good guy to work with . He sells new parts on ebay.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 10:23 AM, jjktmrider said:

I have an '08 510 , the ever popular efi that is questionable . I'm running 14/47 or something close , it's done at 65-70mph or at least vibs and high rpm stop me from going more on the street . I really like the bike but need to put the balance in to cut vibes down so I can ride it more than 20 miles at a time . I don't know how the '05's are .

I get most of my part from the UK , Husky world or something like that . Good guy to work with . He sells new parts on ebay.

I don't have a spedo on mine but I know I got to at least 80mph on my first ride without any overly distracting vibrations, strange. I frequently take my '14 KTM 350 SXF on the streets for short sprints and it does 60-70 while staying under 5k RPM. Barely even struggles. I'm hoping this Husky won't have trouble passing cars on the highway doing 80, but we'll see.

Do you guys have any direct links to reputable sites? I did find a guy on ebay with a lot of parts though, may be who you were referring to.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/husky-parts

2 hours ago, dR0 said:

I don't have a spedo on mine but I know I got to at least 80mph on my first ride without any overly distracting vibrations, strange. I frequently take my '14 KTM 350 SXF on the streets for short sprints and it does 60-70 while staying under 5k RPM. Barely even struggles. I'm hoping this Husky won't have trouble passing cars on the highway doing 80, but we'll see.

Do you guys have any direct links to reputable sites? I did find a guy on ebay with a lot of parts though, may be who you were referring to.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/husky-parts

Google: Hall's Cycle somewhere in the midwest or Bill's Motorcycle Plus in Salem Oregon

Husky-Parts is the guy I get my stuff from , he has much more not listed you just need to message him with a request .

As to the vibs on mine , at some point when BMW owned Husky they though it was cheaper to not install the balancer shaft in the 510's , don't know when they did it possible the '05 has one so the vibs won't be bad . On mine by the time the revs get to 4k-4.5k there is quite a bit , enough that going down the road @ 5k rpms(55mph with my gearing) my hands and feet go numb in about 5-8miles. It was really a stubid idea for them to take the balancer out , offroad it's still there but a person is going up/down on the rpms so it doesn't become so numbing. Mine is geared low for running on the highway , it'll pop a wheelie in 5th and 6th gear if I let it , by 70 it up to 6500rpms. I have a new sprocket and chain set with higher gearing just wearing out the old yet.

Just noticed , my exhaust comes out the left side , didn't realize they changed them so much in '08 when they went to efi .

I called Hall's Cycle twice for parts and they didn't have any or even seem interested in getting them so I went elseware.

Here's another source of good info and help on Husky's ,  http://www.cafehusky.com/

Edited by jjktmrider

Ok a little more help here. Your 2005 model does have a counter balancer so you do not have to worry about the vibes that jjktmrider has. Your 2005 also has a different primary ratio for the gear on the crank/clutch with the stock gearing on a 05 is 14/50 versus jjktmriders stock gearing is 13/47 on his 2008 with a different primary ratio. His gearing is not a direct comparison. I would look at trying a 15 tooth counter shaft as it is the easiest and cheapest option and it will likely fit with the stock chain length. You can also go smaller on the rear sprocket and that would also help but it costs a little more than the front. The parts guy I used was knowledgeable  and had a lot more parts than the website showed http://www.motosportzhusqvarna.com/Husqvarna TE, TC, SM, 250,310, 450, 510 04-07 DOHC.htm

• Like 1

Owned a 05 for 10 years. Never owned a bike for that long. Struggle with a starting problem in the beginning. Turns out the OE compression release valve cam kept wearing out. If you have the same problem, they improved the design on the replacement units so the problem went away. I may have contributed to the problem by being lazy and not reaching down to pull the hot start button when I should have. The OE muffler is very restrictive. If you swap it out with an aftermarket slip-on, you'll unleash the beast. Keep an eye on the water pump impeller. On mine, a 10 cent, nut holding the impeller on, came loose and cost me $1k to fix an over heated motor. I loved that bike so it was worth fixing. I updated the plastic to the classic red & white and never had issues getting decals from DecalWorks.  Sold it last year.

http://www.xriderdown.com/Pages/TE510Project.aspx

IMG_0317.JPG

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:51 PM, rancher1 said:

Ok a little more help here. Your 2005 model does have a counter balancer so you do not have to worry about the vibes that jjktmrider has. Your 2005 also has a different primary ratio for the gear on the crank/clutch with the stock gearing on a 05 is 14/50 versus jjktmriders stock gearing is 13/47 on his 2008 with a different primary ratio. His gearing is not a direct comparison. I would look at trying a 15 tooth counter shaft as it is the easiest and cheapest option and it will likely fit with the stock chain length. You can also go smaller on the rear sprocket and that would also help but it costs a little more than the front. The parts guy I used was knowledgeable  and had a lot more parts than the website showed http://www.motosportzhusqvarna.com/Husqvarna TE, TC, SM, 250,310, 450, 510 04-07 DOHC.htm

Ahh, so they changed more inside as well , I do have the 13t front sprocket after looking and have a 14t along with a 1 tooth smaller rear with chain waiting to go on . Can the crank gear and clutch be swapped between the '05-'07's and the '08-'09's ?   I think I should have gotten the '05 I was ready to buy till this '08 came up locally so I went that route, did prefer efi over carb since I ride year round and no jetting needed . Those vibs are what keeps me from enjoying the bike much more , sucks to have to completely tear the motor apart to get it running smooth ,waiting till the topend needs rebuilding, then I can see why so many like these bikes.

Edited by jjktmrider

On 9/7/2017 at 6:42 PM, xriderdown said:

Owned a 05 for 10 years. Never owned a bike for that long. Struggle with a starting problem in the beginning. Turns out the OE compression release valve cam kept wearing out. If you have the same problem, they improved the design on the replacement units so the problem went away. I may have contributed to the problem by being lazy and not reaching down to pull the hot start button when I should have. The OE muffler is very restrictive. If you swap it out with an aftermarket slip-on, you'll unleash the beast. Keep an eye on the water pump impeller. On mine, a 10 cent, nut holding the impeller on, came loose and cost me $1k to fix an over heated motor. I loved that bike so it was worth fixing. I updated the plastic to the classic red & white and never had issues getting decals from DecalWorks.  Sold it last year.

http://www.xriderdown.com/Pages/TE510Project.aspx

Thanks for the info! I'm having a hard time finding any aftermarket slip ons unfortunately. So with DecalWorks any of their kits will work for the bike? Did I read that correctly? I assume they'll just fit them to the plastics. Could be some cool looks.

How much did you sell the bike for if you don't mind me asking? Trying to place a value on these bikes, I think mine is the first one I've actually seen go up on craigslist in my area, and I'm constantly trawling that board.

Mine has an Arrow exhaust I do believe , made over in Europe . Probably the best place to look for one , but shipping may be horrible .  I got my 510 fro $2800 , early last year , about the average price around me , though I had to get a $200 JDJetting control to make it not flameout all the time when it got warmed up (common issue with the efi ). The '05 I was looking at was $3200 . SM versions maybe $600-$1k more .

Edited by jjktmrider

DecalWorks's has an interactive website that lets you design any custome decal you can emagin for any bike. I sold the the bike for less than the $4k of performance products and suspension work that was put into the project bike. The buyer basically bought all the performance upgrades and just happened to get a reliable bike to go with it. It also had a very clean maintenance history. It's not an easy bike to "turn and burn". It belongs with an owner who appreciates the bike for what it is. Can you tell I still have sellers remorce? 

• Like 1