Having trouble installing new shock spring

Pull the bumper down and there should be a nut on the shock shaft under the top. You stick the top of the shock into a bench vise so you can loosen the nut, then unthread the top of the shock to swap out the springs. A little tip is to turn the spring so you can get the wrench on the nut, and as you loosen it, rotate the spring at the same time, it keeps the wrench jaws square on the nut.

22 hours ago, dirtbkr188 said:

Pull the bumper down and there should be a nut on the shock shaft under the top. You stick the top of the shock into a bench vise so you can loosen the nut, then unthread the top of the shock to swap out the springs. A little tip is to turn the spring so you can get the wrench on the nut, and as you loosen it, rotate the spring at the same time, it keeps the wrench jaws square on the nut.

that was my original thought, but I cant get the top of the shock to budge once the nut is loose, any thoughts?

I'd say the only thing left to do is spray some PB Blaster penetrating oil on the shock shaft with the top of the shock in a bench vise and let it sit overnight, to soak down into the threaded area. Then a good set of vise-grips clamped to the shock shaft to loosen it, and before you reassemble it dress up any marks left on the shaft.

• 4 weeks later...

After loosening the nut you will need to heat the top mount to break loose the locking compound that Honda uses.  I used a propane torch but an electric heat gun can be used as well.  You obviously don't want to melt the rubber in the mount.  I've been riding our 2003 XR70 (I'm no lightweight) with a highly modified engine with a stock modified shock for years with no issues.

• Like 1