Stator?

I went for a quick ride tonight and out of the blue the bike bogged at high rpm momentarily as if it was suddenly starving for fuel then recovered. A minute later it stalled. It reluctantly fired back up only to die again, for good.
After a 2 mile uphill push home and some basic trouble shooting, I have no spark. I tried swapping out the CDI, and a known used plug, nothing. Unfortunately I'm out of time to wrench tonight and on a plane tomorrow for the week. If this seems like a sure thing with the stator I will go ahead and order it so it's here waiting when I return.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommended a particular brand stator?

On a possibly related note, the last time the bike run was on the dyno. I did notice on the last run it made the highest torque, but took an unexpected dive around 9k.

1 minute ago, samacart said:

I bought the one from the TT store recently. Over a thousand miles on the new one and been a better bike since. Must have been going out slowly. 

That's the way that they die, in my experience.  Slowly, silently and then suddenly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I guess the next question, and perhaps the most important, why is ondastreets' bike in my post???

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I have noticed tapatalk does that too.... not sure where some of those pics come from....

have heard to not go with an aftermarket stator, unless a ricky stator...

Not bad for a bike about to hit 19k miles thats never had a single valve shimming.

i just read this in your dyno thread and i thought...hmm thats nice for ohio but dont he know thats bad mojo...and now i click this thread ....stinks but at least you were kinda close to home

keep us updated and GLWStator

• Like 1

Not bad for a bike about to hit 19k miles thats never had a single valve shimming.

i just read this in your dyno thread and i thought...hmm thats nice for ohio but dont he know thats bad mojo...and now i click this thread ....stinks but at least you were kinda close to home

keep us updated and GLWStator

I know, right. That's what I get for talking it up. I'm gonna start recommending the WR250R instead. To top it off, the amish kids all pointed and laughed at me.

1 ($175) break down in 12 seasons isn't that bad I guess. Unless you're Floyd, all perfect records come to an end.

I'm rebuilding the head this winter before the shim comment comes back to bite me in the ass too.

• Like 2

I had my E model die in the middle of a 4WD track miles from the road with no spark. The rest of the day was an adventure to be put in a novel, but after eventually getting the bike back home it turned out that the metal piece behind the stator cover that holds the stator wires down had snapped off and attached to the pickup sensor so it wasn't detecting when to fire the CDI. $0.02 part caused so much trouble.

Pulling the stator cover off did reveal a burnt coil so I ordered a Ricky Stator replacement anyway, but the cause of the no spark situation was a blocked magnetic pickup sensor.

• Like 2

Original stator lasted 12 years and about 40,000 miles
1st Ricky stator lasted 2 yr and 2000 miles

2nd Ricky stator lasted 2 yr and 2000 miles

Now I'm with a RM stator. No time or mileage to report.  I used to recommend Ricky Stator but now not so much.  Both Ricky Stator stators were burnt to a crisp.  The original stator still looks OK but the wires rotted off where the stranded wires were crimped to the sold coil winding wires.  If the RM stator has a short life, I'll pony up the cost of an OEM stator.

• Like 3

Original stator lasted 12 years and about 40,000 miles
1st Ricky stator lasted 2 yr and 2000 miles
2nd Ricky stator lasted 2 yr and 2000 miles
Now I'm with a RM stator. No time or mileage to report.  I used to recommend Ricky Stator but now not so much.  Both Ricky Stator stators were burnt to a crisp.  The original stator still looks OK but the wires rotted off where the stranded wires were crimped to the sold coil winding wires.  If the RM stator has a short life, I'll pony up the cost of an OEM stator.

Are the windings coated? I had to drill the crank access plug out when I did the big bore. Afterwards I sprayed the stator with contact cleaner and blew it off with air. Could that have shortened its life? I have also been using the Trail Tech flywheel since 08, approximately 7-8k miles.

The windings are coated, not sure if contact cleaner would damage the thin/frail coating. You would need to know the chemistry of each to determine that. But it sure may have been a contributing factor

Edited by shuswap1

On 8/29/2017 at 0:17 PM, ohiodrz400sm said:

Are the windings coated? I had to drill the crank access plug out when I did the big bore. Afterwards I sprayed the stator with contact cleaner and blew it off with air. Could that have shortened its life? I have also been using the Trail Tech flywheel since 08, approximately 7-8k miles.

Contact cleaner will not affect the windings at all. Which Trail Tech flywheel. They had one with 'extra strength' magnets that can over load the stator (so they stopped production).

• Like 1

Contact cleaner will not affect the windings at all. Which Trail Tech flywheel. They had one with 'extra strength' magnets that can over load the stator (so they stopped production).

I can't answer that. It was the -16 oz(which is actually 8 oz). I bought it back in 08 or 09.

Good news is the bike runs now.
Bad news is I ran the Battery Tender lithium battery down too low and now it's junk.

10 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I can't answer that. It was the -16 oz(which is actually 8 oz). I bought it back in 08 or 09.

Good news is the bike runs now.
Bad news is I ran the Battery Tender lithium battery down too low and now it's junk.

You might be able to save the battery, depending on how long it was discharged. I was under the impression that battery had low discharge protection. Did you contact Battery Tender?

http://www.batterytender.com/battery-basics

You might be able to save the battery, depending on how long it was discharged. I was under the impression that battery had low discharge protection. Did you contact Battery Tender?

Not yet. I'll try tomorrow.
It will show 13v and the bt charger thinks it's charged. When you hit the starter, the voltage drops to 1.