Ttr125e suspension and wheel suggestions

So my wife started to ride this year and I got her a Ttr125e because she's shot and small. It's been great so far but it needs new wheels for sure and also I think the front suspension needs some work. I'm trying to decide if I should do a yz80 for swap or the brb front springs or just tune up the stock stuff. She's not going to be hitting doubles or anything like that. Maybe some smaller jumps in the future but nothing to crazy. What do you guys think I should do? Also any suggestions on the wheels. Seems like there's a small selections for the 14 and 17's. Not as easy to find.

Thanks

Depending how her skills evolve,

perhaps you should reconsider investing time and money in her current TTR

as she'll be ready to move up to a more performance oriented bike.

How tall is she ?

That's what I planned on doing.

She's 5'2. So the bike is perfect for her. I don't think she'll be ready for a yz80 or anything like hat for a while. But the suspension on her bike right now is just to soft and worn out. And the rims and spokes need work. That's why I was asking about wheels. I've never laced a wheel before but I'm pretty handy and think I could do it.

• Like 1

Yep under 5'6" or so is an unfortunate rider height that hasn't got many choices for off-road bikes

that are a bit more performance oriented than entry level recreational.

Too tall and/or skilled for a beginner bike bike yet a tad short to be comfortable and confident on a 'full-sized' (21/18 wheels) bike.

Kawasaki KLX140L (19/16) and 140G (21/18) could be nice options though.

Edited by mlatour

I think Pro-Wheels has 14"/17" rims for TTR's.  Until she starts complaining, I would leave the suspension alone.  You can valve it and get it to work for her.  A buddy of mine is a suspension guru and gets the stock stuff to work.  

Fork Springs are inexpensive and make a big difference. Depending on her weight possibly the stiffer shock spring too.

The shock can be revalved and that would help a lot as well.

So the ttr suspension should be good enough as long as it's redone and tuned correctly?

Good to know. Right now it's stupid soft. She's not a big girl either but the front still seams way to soft.

Yeah, it is. The BBR springs did wonders for mine. It handles way better without the front trying to tuck everywhere because it's collapsed, too.

I'm going to try 15 wt oil next and probably the shock spring as well, but after that I'm done. I'm riding it in pitbike races at the local MX track so it's getting a little more abuse than it was designed for, TBH. Sure is fun though!

A typical landing w/ the stock fork springs:

IMG_0015-XL.jpg

Yeah she's not even to that level yet but still feel her over all riding could be improved with the proper suspension. Might make her a little more confident if it doesn't move so much over ever little bump. Like even when I strap it down on the trailer the thing will basically come undone because there's so much play in it. Super annoying.

I'm in the same boat and in the process to adapt the YZ85 front and rear end. The front is easy, it goes in with no mods. The rear is a little more tricky but it will fit. The battery is moving behind the front plate (smaller model than OEM) and what I don't like is the air filter intake boot going around the shock reservoir but no choice...

A YZ85 can be found around $800 and the engine himself will rembourse half of it.

Yeah I keep looking for a rolling chassis because I'd have a hard time taking one apart. I feel like if I get a complete one she might as well just ride that. Even though its to much bike for her at the moment. She'll learn.

If your interested
I have a set of YZ85 forks and triple tree. They where to go on my wife's TTR 125 but things came up and I never installed them. I think I even have the front wheel.

On 3/16/2018 at 9:02 PM, sabthumper said:

If your interested
I have a set of YZ85 forks and triple tree. They where to go on my wife's TTR 125 but things came up and I never installed them. I think I even have the front wheel.

how much for the forks, triple tree and wheel to zip code 78654?  What else would be needed to complete the front end conversion? 

On March 26, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Scottie Davis said:

how much for the forks, triple tree and wheel to zip code 78654?  What else would be needed to complete the front end conversion? 

Well let me find them. I have someone else interested also. I have been crazy busy. They are in my garage buried with my other hobbies. 

The thing with the yz85 forks is they need to be valved too and are super soft for an adult.  They are going on a bike 30lbs heavier than a yz85, so the need springs, then valving after that.  Plus, I ran heavier oil.  The rear is easy, just re-drill a shock bolt hole in the frame and weld in a washer on each side to gusset it.  Then revalve the shock.  the rear shock is pretty good.  You may want a spring.  But she can tell you that.