Need help with boots.

Bought a pair of gearne react boots after my tech 7 boots had both hinges pop out and alpinestar told me that they were not fixable. I tore a ligament in my left ankle and I need more support. So I bought these gearne boots and they feel stupidly flimsy right out of the box. They feel worse than my tech 7 boots after 2 years and they are brand new. I need a boot that is going to last while offering the best protection I can get from hyper extention. I'm on the verge of not being able to ride moto anymore due to this and it would drive me insane only riding woods. I suppose I will not like the gearne boots seeing as they feel like tennis shoes not riding boots. I'll put down the money for a good pair of it keeps me doing what I love so what are the best boots out there. I've already got an idea I'm just trying to narrow it down. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yah but don't they feel really flimsy? Don't mistake being comfortable for not enough support i should say. A lot of reviews I read say they feel broke in out of the box and my tech 7s are stiffer than my gs and they have 2 year on em

Yah but don't they feel really flimsy? Don't mistake being comfortable for not enough support i should say. A lot of reviews I read say they feel broke in out of the box and my tech 7s are stiffer than my gs and they have 2 year on em

There is a HUGE difference in the react boots and the sg10 or sg12.

Sent from my LG-H871 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

I have the SG12's, and they most definitely aren't flimsy. The Sidi's are also a great choice, I have them as well. The 12's, side by side, are more heavily armored.

Sidis are for skinny feet only. 

My feet swim in garnes.

• Like 1

I heard the tech tens offer the best support. My ankle blew up in the sidis, I don't think they offer enough support for guys in the ankle club ;). All the screws are weak pivot points and the boot will fold around the hinges.

image.png

Edited by Casing-daily
  • Like 1

Gaerne SG12s. They have a pivoting ankle with stops which helps to prevent hyperextension. They feel very comfortable right out of the box, but with the hinge stops it really helps keep your ankle from over rotating and twisting.IMG_20170822_174110_302.jpg

• Like 2

Might go with the sg12 boots then. Basically the question I have to ask is if your at Loretta Lynn's and you have a broken ankle but your going to ride anyways, what boots are you wearing lol.

• Like 1

here is what i know

alpinestarts are great if you have a smaller foot and can wear their booties.  But if you are size 11 or larger, these will turn you big foot into a giant big foot foot that cant possibly operate the shift lever.

SIDI are great boots for people with skinny or normal feet

Gaerne are great boots for people with wider feet, I have wide size 12 feet, and i LOVE my SG10 boots. super comfortable liner that helps keep you feet dry, the hinge allows SOME movement through a NARROW range, but not too much. 100% worth the investment!!!!!

Gaerne's are great boots with a well deserved reputation.  But they are very "soft" compared to other boots which is why everyone always says they are so comfortable and need no break-in.  In trials circles they are called "motorcycle slippers" and many guys who have suffered foot injuries have opted for a stiffer boot such as Alpinestars.

Doc

• Like 2

Might go with the sg12 boots then. Basically the question I have to ask is if your at Loretta Lynn's and you have a broken ankle but your going to ride anyways, what boots are you wearing lol.

SG12s for me. I've worn one of their original versions of SG12s for many years. I'm a big guy, so my ankles take a bit more of a beating, but I've had multiple time where I've over jumped something, or accidentally launched a wall jump (that one hurt) and my ankles weren't the part of me that was hurting.

Here's the SG12s in the normal position: 20170828_135730.jpg

And here it is with as much flex as I could put on it with one hand:
20170828_135735.jpg

The mix of the "razorback" strap which attaches to the top of the boot and then connects to the ankle pivot helps keep things from bending too far. 20170828_135806.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using ThumperTalk mobile app

Btw that's a good looking pair of gs. I am right in between the tech 10 and sg12. Also heard some good things on the tech 8s any one on here wear those? And anyone tape their ankles? Seen something on vital mx a while ago and some guys do that and it helps tremdously against hyper extension.

Btw that's a good looking pair of gs. I am right in between the tech 10 and sg12. Also heard some good things on the tech 8s any one on here wear those? And anyone tape their ankles? Seen something on vital mx a while ago and some guys do that and it helps tremdously against hyper extension.

I've only tried on the techs, never actually ridden with them.
Anyway, I have taped my ankles a couple time for riding after spraining them from sports, but ultimately found I didn't really need to when riding.

Yah I used to actually race bmx for a while untill I could afford a bike and that's where most of my ankle injuries have Happend. Broken both of my ankles doing that and then my recent case at an open practice have given me the ankles of a 60 year old at 20. So maybe you see why im trying hard to find a way I can ride and still be confident. Thanks though

• Like 1

When I was researching boots, I saw a lot of hate for Alpinestars being stiff and never feeling broken in (Tech 8s and 10s specifically). Maybe if I had the chance to do it over, I would've gone to another shop and tried on some more Sidis and Gaernes. The shop I went to, however, only had Alpinestars and one type of Gaerne, and I'm in an area where there are not many shops to choose from. I didn't want to order online because I wanted to be sure that whatever I bought fit well. I much preferred the fit of the Tech 8s over the other Alpinestars and Gaernes in the shop, so that's what I went with. They also did feel like they were/would be more supportive throughout the foot, ankle, and lower leg, but obviously I can't know for sure without buying both brands. I've put about 12 hours on them so far and I really can't think of what I would improve. I'm generally not too fussy about my gear, though.

They seem to offer a ton of support. I've had my toe get caught on roots that nearly yanked me off the bike, and I didn't experience any pain or even any soreness afterward. I expected shifting to be really difficult, but to my surprise it was no problem at all. A bit more work than tennis shoes, but I didn't think twice about it after about 5 minutes riding in them. It's probably worth mentioning that when I used to ride/race as a kid, I always wore Alpinestars, so that may have something to do with it.

All that to say, don't count Alpinestars out if what you're primarily looking for is a boot that offers a ton of support and protection. I'm not necessarily saying you should buy them over any other brand, just that, in my experience, they work as advertised and I haven't experienced any of the negatives mentioned by others.

When I was researching boots, I saw a lot of hate for Alpinestars being stiff and never feeling broken in (Tech 8s and 10s specifically). Maybe if I had the chance to do it over, I would've gone to another shop and tried on some more Sidis and Gaernes. The shop I went to, however, only had Alpinestars and one type of Gaerne, and I'm in an area where there are not many shops to choose from. I didn't want to order online because I wanted to be sure that whatever I bought fit well. I much preferred the fit of the Tech 8s over the other Alpinestars and Gaernes in the shop, so that's what I went with. They also did feel like they were/would be more supportive throughout the foot, ankle, and lower leg, but obviously I can't know for sure without buying both brands. I've put about 12 hours on them so far and I really can't think of what I would improve. I'm generally not too fussy about my gear, though.
They seem to offer a ton of support. I've had my toe get caught on roots that nearly yanked me off the bike, and I didn't experience any pain or even any soreness afterward. I expected shifting to be really difficult, but to my surprise it was no problem at all. A bit more work than tennis shoes, but I didn't think twice about it after about 5 minutes riding in them. It's probably worth mentioning that when I used to ride/race as a kid, I always wore Alpinestars, so that may have something to do with it.

All that to say, don't count Alpinestars out if what you're primarily looking for is a boot that offers a ton of support and protection. I'm not necessarily saying you should buy them over any other brand, just that, in my experience, they work as advertised and I haven't experienced any of the negatives mentioned by others.

Always did like the tech 8 boots.