Jump to content

throttletamer 08 CRF450 G2 Throttle Tamer (or flywheel)

Recommended Posts

Yeah. Yeah... I can hear it coming.. "You should have got a 250".    But honestly, such a prime condition scooter at such a deal couldn't be passed up.  Plus I honestly believe this will be a collectors bike one day.  So you can congratulate or scold.  I'll gladly accept either.

I enjoy riding it and it's very trusting to handle, but having not ridden/raced in yrs (81 KX-420).  Albeit, each time we go out we get to know each other a little better, I'd like to tame it a little bit until I get my riding legs back.  Thought about a #17 flywheel install but would rather not go that $$$ committed because I know I'll want it reverted back by mid next season...  But I'm still on the fence.

So I know the G2 Throttle Tamer was designed more for the later EFI bikes, I'd be interested if anyone else has installed one on this model and what you think. 

Moreover, if you did install a flywheel in this model, what did you put in and what do you think.

cheers,

Whop

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I installed the 13 ounce on my 04 CRF450 and loved it.  Took away most of the stall issues and made it much better as a all around bike.  I currently have a 08 CRF450 and have a 13 ounce for it but have not installed it yet.  I just had a 2013 KTM 450 sxf fall into my garage so the CRF is up for sell more than likely.  I will be installing a throttle tamer and flywheel on it very soon.  They are both worth doing in my book.  Both can be put back to stock easy.  I say go for it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Firedude said:

I installed the 13 ounce on my 04 CRF450 and loved it.  Took away most of the stall issues and made it much better as a all around bike.  I currently have a 08 CRF450 and have a 13 ounce for it but have not installed it yet.  I just had a 2013 KTM 450 sxf fall into my garage so the CRF is up for sell more than likely.  I will be installing a throttle tamer and flywheel on it very soon.  They are both worth doing in my book.  Both can be put back to stock easy.  I say go for it.

Congratulation on the KTM.  If I were you I'd let the 08 collect dust before selling it, it's the last of its kind.   I'll probably look to buy a couple more if I can find them a sweet as this one.

I've been on the fence between the fly weight and the rekluse.   Cost is no problem but more wanting to go with what is most effective.  I do like the sound of the 13 oz and a G2.   I was kind of leaning on the 17 oz but not sure what kind of results to expect. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Whopharded said:

Congratulation on the KTM.  If I were you I'd let the 08 collect dust before selling it, it's the last of its kind.   I'll probably look to buy a couple more if I can find them a sweet as this one.

I've been on the fence between the fly weight and the rekluse.   Cost is no problem but more wanting to go with what is most effective.  I do like the sound of the 13 oz and a G2.   I was kind of leaning on the 17 oz but not sure what kind of results to expect. 

I have been thinking that as well.  I love the 08.  It really is the best of the CRF's.  This one is pretty cherry also.  Wife just does not get that though.  I have not tried a Rekluse on these bikes but have ridden with guys that had them on other bikes and swore by them.  I would do the weight then if you still feel the need do the clutch.  They do work well together I hear.  Flywheel really does mellow the bike just enough to make it even more fun to ride.  I would think the heavier 17 would really make it sweet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an '07. I have both the G2, and a +13oz f.w. Also have the Rekluse 3.0. I love all three together. I ride woods only, so if that's what you're doing, all great mods.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drumiv said:

I have an '07. I have both the G2, and a +13oz f.w. Also have the Rekluse 3.0. I love all three together. I ride woods only, so if that's what you're doing, all great mods.

Not much on the trails or woods.  Mostly MX practice days.  Do you think the +17oz is too much?

Also I remember riding a friends KDX years ago and recall the thing would rev with the clutch engaged at a stand still. I assumed this was because of the heavier FW.  It was more of a nuisance but never really knew...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I have an 08 and it has just the basic mods - Filter screen removed, Full Yoshimura Exhaust, UNI Filter.... that's about it. Before I purchased the bike I read everything I could find about it and what I gathered was this was one of the best CRF's out there. I was fully thinking that it would be "Scary Fast",.. but almost found it a little lack-luster in the power department. ...

What I've learned since then was that there's a different ignition curve (Retarded timing) on 1st and 2nd gear which in turn makes the power come on a tad slower and much smoother ;)

I am currently in the process of setting mine up for the woods and my 13 oz. will be here any day...  Having said all of that, seems like stock would be pretty good for the track (?) but either way, the 13 oz. will smooth things out just a tad I would think.... just my 2 cents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WERNER1 said:

Well I have an 08 and it has just the basic mods - Filter screen removed, Full Yoshimura Exhaust, UNI Filter.... that's about it. Before I purchased the bike I read everything I could find about it and what I gathered was this was one of the best CRF's out there. I was fully thinking that it would be "Scary Fast",.. but almost found it a little lack-luster in the power department. ...

What I've learned since then was that there's a different ignition curve (Retarded timing) on 1st and 2nd gear which in turn makes the power come on a tad slower and much smoother ;)

I am currently in the process of setting mine up for the woods and my 13 oz. will be here any day...  Having said all of that, seems like stock would be pretty good for the track (?) but either way, the 13 oz. will smooth things out just a tad I would think.... just my 2 cents.

I would dump the uni filter and go back to stock.  I have personally seen that filter be the cause of the ti valves being trashed early.  They let more dirt through than stock.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 11:01 PM, Whopharded said:

So I know the G2 Throttle Tamer was designed more for the later EFI bikes, I'd be interested if anyone else has installed one on this model and what you think. 

Moreover, if you did install a flywheel in this model, what did you put in and what do you think.

I'm 50 and have been easing back into motocross this year after 25 years away from the sport and have been hitting a few practice days at nearby tracks (the ones within 2 hours).  

Background:   I Bought a mint condition 08 CRF450R last fall during a mid-life crisis moment and during the 1st practice day at a local track I was pretty much sucking ars and could only last about 2-3 laps before pulling off with arm pump.  I bought a throttle tamer with the slowest initial ramp-in and it helped noticeably during the next practice session.  My cornering was smoother with more controlled power delivery while I feathered the clutch.  

I've also picked up a 2nd 08 CRF450R a few weeks ago that's been ridden hard and I'm planning to turn it into a woods bike this winter.  Once the initial critical maintenance items are complete (motor, bearings, suspension) a weighted Flywheel and Recluse are on the winter mods list.  Depending on how those mods work out I might install similar on the primary MX bike.  I bought the 2nd 450r as I live on a farm and am planning to set the suspension up for conditioning riding in my pasture and timber areas.  I might also try some hare scrambles next summer with the woods beater 450r.  

 

Edited by FooBarr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FooBarr said:

I'm 50 and have been easing back into motocross this year after 25 years away from the sport and have been hitting a few practice days at nearby tracks (the ones within 2 hours).  

Background:   I Bought a mint condition 08 CRF450R last fall during a mid-life crisis moment and during the 1st practice day at a local track I was pretty much sucking ars and could only last about 2-3 laps before pulling off with arm pump.  I bought a throttle tamer with the slowest initial ramp-in and it helped noticeably during the next practice session.  My cornering was smoother with more controlled power delivery while I feathered the clutch.  

I've also picked up a 2nd 08 CRF450R a few weeks ago that's been ridden hard and I'm planning to turn it into a woods bike this winter.  Once the initial critical maintenance items are complete (motor, bearings, suspension) a weighted Flywheel and Recluse are on the winter mods list.  Depending on how those mods work out I might install similar on the primary MX bike.  I bought the 2nd 450r as I live on a farm and am planning to set the suspension up for conditioning riding in my pasture and timber areas.  I might also try some hare scrambles next summer with the woods beater 450r.  

 

That's comforting Foo.  I never was fast and don't figure I'll ever be but I've been having a blast even before the G2 is scheduled to arrive, this week.  I found a spot (silly video just made today, attached) where I can just work on getting used to the torque and general handling of the bike and not worry about jumps or other riders.  But looking forward to the G2.  Evident from the start of the video, I need a lower seat lol.  I figure about the time my singing improves, I should be ready to get back on an MX track. LOL 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just installed the G2 Dirt Tamer on my 2010.  Now I can at least crack the throttle open without the bike jumping forward.  Definitely a bigger issue with the FI models than Carb models.  Once you get past that initial 1/8-1/4 throttle it comes on like normal, so it just makes it more practical to feather the throttle at low speeds.  I also have the Trail Tech +17oz. flywheel that I'm getting ready to install this coming weekend once my puller comes in.  I'll update how that works and how the two work together at keeping the bike under control.  Granted I use the bike in the woods as much as on the track and only ride for fun, no racing, so for me to actually enjoy this bike, I felt it needed to calm down a bit.  I've had the smaller bikes, but am done with the high revving nature of those bikes, I prefer to lug around at lower RPM's.  I may eventually move on to a 300 two stroke perhaps, been looking at the Beta's, just in case the 450 just becomes too much of a handful to enjoy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Whopharded said:

That's comforting Foo.  I never was fast and don't figure I'll ever be but I've been having a blast even before the G2 is scheduled to arrive, this week.  I found a spot (silly video just made today, attached) where I can just work on getting used to the torque and general handling of the bike and not worry about jumps or other riders.  But looking forward to the G2.  Evident from the start of the video, I need a lower seat lol.  I figure about the time my singing improves, I should be ready to get back on an MX track. LOL 

Now being a senior rider I ride with much greater awareness than I ever did racing in my teen years.  As a young motocrosser my skills pretty much sucked and plaster casts were common attire.  Now I practice with purpose--focusing on developing/maintaining good mx technique.  I bought the Semics training DVDs and watch them every couple of months while working out in the basement.  My lap times improve noticeably simply by focusing on riding position and cornering skills.  Initially I was getting arm pump by always sitting too far back and dropping my arms (the big pot of coffee before practice wasn't helping much either).  The exercises Semic details in the vids helped a lot.  Now at the track during the C/Vet practice sessions I notice most of the riders tend to coast entering into corners and that's where I tend pass more folks than pass me.  It also helps to get the suspension dialed in where it can absorb the braking and acceleration bumps so you can carry more speed.  Check out the sticky on Dogger's DIY suspension tuning.  His prescription he wrote up for me worked wonders over the stock 08 valving.

Another good thing I did last year is invest in some good riding gear (knee braces, Leatt neck-brace/chest protector, carbon-fiber helmet).  I prefer the Michelin Man style of riding gear.  This summer I was at a practice day and came across a middle-aged gent pretzeled up laying in the whoops after a bad endo.  He couldn't move his arms or legs and I ended up helping load him in the ambulance a 1/2-hour later.  Last I heard he's still in rehab partially paralyzed, pretty sad situation.

So in summary, focus on developing good skills, ride safely in your comfort zone, race your own race, and have fun.  And just FYI, the shop owner that I bought my CRF from last year still races MX and harescrambles and he's 60.  Heck a shop owner I bought my 81 RM 125 from several decades ago can still be found racing and he's in his late 60s.  He rolls through the big stuff but back in the pits he always has be biggest grin on his face.  Yeah...I'm thinking "I got a few good year left...screw the kids college fund!"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:24 PM, FooBarr said:

Now being a senior rider I ride with much greater awareness than I ever did racing in my teen years.  As a young motocrosser my skills pretty much sucked and plaster casts were common attire.  Now I practice with purpose--focusing on developing/maintaining good mx technique.  I bought the Semics training DVDs and watch them every couple of months while working out in the basement.  My lap times improve noticeably simply by focusing on riding position and cornering skills.  Initially I was getting arm pump by always sitting too far back and dropping my arms (the big pot of coffee before practice wasn't helping much either).  The exercises Semic details in the vids helped a lot.  Now at the track during the C/Vet practice sessions I notice most of the riders tend to coast entering into corners and that's where I tend pass more folks than pass me.  It also helps to get the suspension dialed in where it can absorb the braking and acceleration bumps so you can carry more speed.  Check out the sticky on Dogger's DIY suspension tuning.  His prescription he wrote up for me worked wonders over the stock 08 valving.

Another good thing I did last year is invest in some good riding gear (knee braces, Leatt neck-brace/chest protector, carbon-fiber helmet).  I prefer the Michelin Man style of riding gear.  This summer I was at a practice day and came across a middle-aged gent pretzeled up laying in the whoops after a bad endo.  He couldn't move his arms or legs and I ended up helping load him in the ambulance a 1/2-hour later.  Last I heard he's still in rehab partially paralyzed, pretty sad situation.

So in summary, focus on developing good skills, ride safely in your comfort zone, race your own race, and have fun.  And just FYI, the shop owner that I bought my CRF from last year still races MX and harescrambles and he's 60.  Heck a shop owner I bought my 81 RM 125 from several decades ago can still be found racing and he's in his late 60s.  He rolls through the big stuff but back in the pits he always has be biggest grin on his face.  Yeah...I'm thinking "I got a few good year left...screw the kids college fund!"

I hear ya.  I got nothing to prove to anyone and prefer to improve at my own pace.   I've got a 70% torn rotator cuff and very mindful of it.  I auger'd a sandy corner on that side and pretty much ended the day 'but only the day'.  I was back out the next week.   So now instead of the MX track, I practice at a friends place that has some straights and some woods and it keeps me entertained.  I'd hope to think next year I'm back to doing double jumps like it was doing 20 yrs ago.... but for the moment I've got to get all my technique relearned.  My G2 goes on tomorrow so Sunday I think I'll spend the day toying with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So last night I finally got the trail tech flywheel installed.  Seems to be a big improvement coupled with the G2 throttle tamer.  I felt like I could give the throttle a pretty decent twist and it responded with power AND traction as it revved slower off the bottom.  By that I mean a good 1/4 to 1/3 throttle, not a handful.  But by comparison, I could barely crack the throttle before and the front wheel was up in my face or I was spinning.  Low speed maneuvers without stalling seemed to be better as well, but I was most impressed with the power delivery and how much more practical it is now.  I was convinced that I was going to sell this bike and buy a new left over 2017 250, but now I'm having second thoughts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got the G2 installed with the aggressive cam onto my 2008 CRF-450R.   I can't even think of owning a 250 now as now the bike behaves like one until I'm ready for it to shred.  Now it's all in the wrist!  I can approach jump faces with more confidence now and not worry about too much or not enough throttle. I can make my approach now with steady speed.   As a result, my lap times are actually faster.  Only draw back is when you are in a long straight and intend to let it run wide open in taller gears, you'll need to re-grip else your elbow will be pointing at the ground.     I expect by mid next season I'll be going back to the original throttle cam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Congratulation on the KTM.  If I were you I'd let the 08 collect dust before selling it, it's the last of its kind.   I'll probably look to buy a couple more if I can find them a sweet as this one.



I've been on the fence between the fly weight and the rekluse.   Cost is no problem but more wanting to go with what is most effective.  I do like the sound of the 13 oz and a G2.   I was kind of leaning on the 17 oz but not sure what kind of results to expect. 



Just curious what's so special about the 08 crf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have an '07. I have both the G2, and a +13oz f.w. Also have the Rekluse 3.0. I love all three together. I ride woods only, so if that's what you're doing, all great mods.

What gearing do you run with that combination? What have you done to suspension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Babywolf said:


What gearing do you run with that combination? What have you done to suspension.

13/50, and Factory Connection did the suspension. Love the bike. Gearing lets me chug around in 3rd., but still moves out when needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13/50, and Factory Connection did the suspension. Love the bike. Gearing lets me chug around in 3rd., but still moves out when needed.

I have the same gearing, fww is in the mail, jd jetting has it running great, but.....I dont like my suspension/handling. My guess is it is stock with possible fork oil changed. Bike is not near as plush in woods as my older more beat up 2003 CR250R. I never did anything to its suspension but it was reworked by total control by PO. I guess I just need to let them have a try at getting some front end plushness out of the 450, Am I missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:49 AM, Big mick said:

 

 

 

 


Just curious what's so special about the 08 crf

 

 

This article should sum it up.  But mainly it was the carb disposition the gave it the gravy.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/we-restore-a-2008-honda-crf450/

It's like that one point where all the pieces came together before the MX world was abruptly pushed into the next generation.  Many say it was only about 2016 before they regained their footing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×