2017/2018 YZ 250 F mods to improve HP

What works as far as Cams, head work, programming and exhaust? What fuel do you run. Bike will be ran in the Canadian pro nationals next year just trying to decide between at 250 2 stroke which we ran this year and a 250 f. Rider is 165 lbs and a really good 2 stroke rider.

thanks 

Edited by gedakbx

The 2 strokes had good results in MX2 the last season. If that is what the rider feels good on, go for it. 250F's don't last long when you are pumping big HP out of them. The mods you describe can normally still be run on pump gas and will give the bike a boost, especially head work and cams. The 250 smoker is still gonna make more power. 

Can't just buy as you go.  It won't work together. Has to be a package deal from a good builder.   We also run Canadian pro national. 

Port,cams,valves and cylinder cut tuned to a GET ecu on pro 6 fuel.   Makes 46 hp and is reliable.    At 20 hrs do top end

or just go with the ktm, husky that makes 46hp stock.  

4 hours ago, ckny said:

The 2 strokes had good results in MX2 the last season. If that is what the rider feels good on, go for it. 250F's don't last long when you are pumping big HP out of them. The mods you describe can normally still be run on pump gas and will give the bike a boost, especially head work and cams. The 250 smoker is still gonna make more power. 

Yes they did rider was just looking for a change maybe

59 minutes ago, yz250f 78 said:

Can't just buy as you go.  It won't work together. Has to be a package deal from a good builder.   We also run Canadian pro national. 

Port,cams,valves and cylinder cut tuned to a GET ecu on pro 6 fuel.   Makes 46 hp and is reliable.    At 20 hrs do top end

I may have talked to you in Kamloops did you have the HP motor? yes the 2 strokes have to stay stock from the carb boot to the exhaust flange. Josh won the Yamaha factory ride at the GNAC so KTM and Husky are out of the question for next year.

HP would be a pretty safe bet for an engine package. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckny said:

HP would be a pretty safe bet for an engine package. 

Yes he did a 134 for us last year it was fast and reliable

• Like 1

Maybe he wants good suspensio , 46hp dont mean squat if you cant ride it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using ThumperTalk mobile app

9 hours ago, motocrotts said:

Maybe he wants good suspensio , 46hp dont mean squat if you cant ride it.

The 2018 AER works pretty darn good. I still prefer a KYB spring fork but the new WP is so much better than the previous junk. 

The 2018 AER works pretty darn good. I still prefer a KYB spring fork but the new WP is so much better than the previous junk. 

I agree as long as the temperature doesn't change. Here in az temps can change 30-40 degs during the day. People are constantly having to vary their air pressure throughout the day.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bring the rain said:

I heard the 17-18 don't have a lot of room for porting. already like a mod on previous yrs. I cant imagine a star race bike.:ride:

I heard the same thing on the week end