Hey guys, have a quick question. Is riding a damn money pit? I remember when I first starting riding I bought a 2006 drz125l and that thing seemed to need no work at all but my 2010 yz250f seems to always need work. My buddy has a 2011 kx250f that never seems to need anything, but it's never been rode at all. He thinks that it's just yamaha but I disagree. Any kx or yz riders that are always working on the bike?

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

17 minutes ago, Zalein said:
Hey guys, have a quick question. Is riding a damn money pit? I remember when I first starting riding I bought a 2006 drz125l and that thing seemed to need no work at all but my 2010 yz250f seems to always need work. My buddy has a 2011 kx250f that never seems to need anything, but it's never been rode at all. He thinks that it's just yamaha but I disagree. Any kx or yz riders that are always working on the bike?

Edited by Zalein

Routine maintenance is key to avoid problems.

Constant money pit is often due to:

-buying a high maintenance 'race' bike when your usage does not warrant it

-barely enough money to initially get into the sport, not enough budgeted to properly maintain it afterwards

-fixing up an older bike a little at a time when a complete teardown should be done

-treat your bike as a 'toy' (play hard, put away wet, only fix when broken) 

-partial rebuild after a failure (mixing new and questionable old/worn parts together)

-general lack of mechanical knowledge / skills.

• Like 8

• 6 months later...

Depends how you ride too. Do you go out with your buddies and trail ride for a couple hours or do you regularly do 500 mile, multi day off road trips? Parts wear out even when you're not thrashing the bike.

One could argue that any hobby is a money pit. When you start a hobby - start up costs.
As you get better, you want better stuff for that hobby - more costs
Keep the hobby going - more costs.

Finish with that hobby and on to the next, more cost.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rode two strokes all my life. Bought a yz250f just to try a four stroke out. It’s a great bike, reliable and hooks up well .

IMO buy a 125 two stroke and just ride it. Cheap and easy to maintain. Or a 250 if your comfortable. They are just cheaper in the long run to maintain, and more fun to ride casually 

Routine maintenance is key to avoid problems.

Constant money pit is often due to:

-fixing up an older bike a little at a time when a complete teardown should be done
-treat your bike as a 'toy' (play hard, put away wet, only fix when broken) 

I’m guilty as hell of these two [emoji16]