WTB My first CRF250X

I'm looking at picking up a CRF250X and have a few questions...

I'm going with an X over the R as I would mostly be riding local trails. I also would like to register the bike in NY for short trips on local streets, where I imagine the wider ratio transmission would be preferred.

This is my first bike in quite a few years, I've ridden a few recently, but I'm a bit of a newbie with the newer bikes.

I may take a look at an '06 CRF250X, what should I keep an eye out for while taking a look at it? 

Any reason to go with an R over an X for my purposes? I'm sure it can handle its own on a local MX track

If your trail riding, no reason to go with an R.   Also, forget about plating either one in NY.

You can get an ATV plate, but you will be unable to plate it for street use.

Valves. Start it cold using the starter only. If it won't start knock $600.00 of the asking price. Touch the engine to make sure it hasn't been run and show up half an hour early.
I have an 05 bought new. That has been my only real issue.
Wheel bearings
Tires
Filters
Seat cover
Plastic
The usual maintenance items

I agree with spit 51 valves are an expensive fix. but still worth a look very reliable easy bike to ride ,also a few mods will make things interesting

Valves will be an issue for sure for pretty much any 2006 crf. I personally know 4 guys that have done valves on their crf bikes. I did mine for about 350$ parts + 80$ at machine shop. That was years ago and bike has ran great. If you'er lucky the seller recently did the valves, on the other hand if not, than the bike has been well taken care of or hardly/lightly used. 

If it has difficulty starting with the electric starter, or kicks through easily, it needs valves adjusted badly, and/or will soon need new intake valves. Stainless steel intake valves BTW. Usually I would always recommend OEM, but the Honda titanium intakes just don't last. I noticed absolutely no performance difference with the steel valves, no one I know did either.

Good Luck

basically what said above but put it on a stand and check for shlock linkage play and steering head bearing play. also check for bent rotors and bent rims. in 3 years of riding my x i bent both rims and both rotors and the linkage bearings were shot when got it. look at the air filter and generally make sure its been well looked after