Crf230F With BBR 240 kit Hanging Idle

Having an intermittent hanging idle. Blipping the throttle makes it go away. Otherwise it hangs.

BBR 240 kit with cam. PC exhaust. airbox snorkel removed and opened up a tad. 

Currently my jetting is 130 main 45 pilot. The pilot screw doesn't seem to affect anything really.  I've tried it from 1 turn out to 3.5 turns out. No big change. I have a dynojet extended screw. I haven't checked the needle. The bike runs great aside from the hanging idle. 

I am running the pull throttle cable only. I am beginning to wonder if it is the cable routing. But it appears to be closing properly. 

Also, I used almost half a can of starting fluid spraying around the intake boots and head. No noticeabble change in idle speed. 

This issue start happening after the BBr kit was installed. Any ideas on where to start? Thanks!

Side note. I need to check the o ring on the pilot screw. I removed the screw and washer but couldn't get the O ring out. I could see it but only had the carb titled sideways. Not removed. 

6 minutes ago, VortecCPI said:

Likely a damaged or missing 0-ring.

On the pilot screw? 

talking about jetting in my life i experienced two reasons for hanging idle:

extremely lean pilot circuit AND noticeably increased popping at the exhaust during deceleration

extremely rich pilot circuit AND idle knob  turned in too much (slide too high)  AND bike starting without choke when cold (after  1 day of rest  a properly jetted crf230 NEVER starts and runs without choke)

imho the second option is more likely. try with the screw at 3/8 turn from closed and unscrew the idle knob at least half turn. better or worse?

if better a 42 pilot around 1.5 turn will be the solution

Edited by 30x26

First things first:
Basics....
Route the throttle cable properly and lube the cable with a cable lube tool.
Disassemble the throttle assembly and clean and lube tube to handle bar with a light dusting of silicone spray.
Properly adjust throttle cable, double checking for operation with tank installed while bars are full left, full right. Several times.

Now that that is all working properly, you can start blaming other things if you still have problems.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 30x26 said:

talking about jetting in my life i experienced two reasons for hanging idle:

extremely lean pilot circuit AND noticeably increased popping at the exhaust during deceleration

extremely rich pilot circuit AND idle knob  turned in too much (slide too high)  AND bike starting without choke when cold (after  1 day of rest  a properly jetted crf230 NEVER starts and runs without choke)

imho the second option is more likely. try with the screw at 3/8 turn from closed and unscrew the idle knob at least half turn. better or worse?

if better a 42 pilot around 1.5 turn will be the solution

I doubt it is lean. It had a 42 pilot and a 118 or 120 main jet, screw was at 1.5 turns out and it still had the hanging idle before I switched to the 130 main and 45 pilot. It could be rich, but wasn't aware of that causing a hanging idle.

Would a bad O-ring on the pilot screw make it rich or lean?

It doesn't pop or anything, and it runs pretty well, and idles smoothly, except for the rev hang.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into the potential O-ring issue, then work backwards from there.

10 minutes ago, adnohguy said:

First things first:
Basics....
Route the throttle cable properly and lube the cable with a cable lube tool.
Disassemble the throttle assembly and clean and lube tube to handle bar with a light dusting of silicone spray.
Properly adjust throttle cable, double checking for operation with tank installed while bars are full left, full right. Several times.

Now that that is all working properly, you can start blaming other things if you still have problems.

Can someone provide the proper cable routing? I have done everything listed in your response but that, not sure how to verify. It does feeling a little tight when turning the bars to the right, but not much.

Also, while the idle was hanging, I tried moving and pulling/pushing the throttle cable and it never made any changes. I also had the throttle tube complete off, just pulling the end of the cable with my fingers, and the idle was still hanging some.

Thanks!

bad or missing o-ring makes it leaner. 

does your idle speed increase without touching the throttle with the bike on the sidestand or does it stay high at a stop?

Edited by 30x26

2 hours ago, 30x26 said:

bad or missing o-ring makes it leaner. 

does your idle speed increase without touching the throttle with the bike on the sidestand or does it stay high at a stop?

The idle hangs after letting off of the gas, mostly at lower RPMS and slower speeds. I have just rode it around my yard. Then it just hangs at the same RPM. Doesn't increase.

2 hours ago, Confederate said:

Check for proper float adjustment!

What is the measurement? and will this cause a hanging idle? The bike doesn't leak when it is leaned over on the stand, so I would say the float would be too low if anything.

Can someone provide the proper cable routing? I have done everything listed in your response but that, not sure how to verify. It does feeling a little tight when turning the bars to the right, but not much.
Also, while the idle was hanging, I tried moving and pulling/pushing the throttle cable and it never made any changes. I also had the throttle tube complete off, just pulling the end of the cable with my fingers, and the idle was still hanging some.

Thanks!

Yes nice photos and illustrations are available for your viewing pleasure in a genuine Honda OEM factory shop manual.
And so much more.... like float level and how to adjust the engine valves properly
  • Like 2

I have never ever owned a machine without my first purchase being a factory shop manual for it....

Worth it's weight in gold.... Every time!!

• Like 2

Had this happen several different times. Once it was my slide spring  in a bind, not flatening out which put extreme pressure on the inner nylon washer. The other time, my carb vent hose was binding the  slide lift arm. On my Freeride, it does it if I set my idle up, which lifts the slide slightly which causes the main to hemorage contributing to the idle circuit

• Like 1

18 hours ago, adnohguy said:

Yes nice photos and illustrations are available for your viewing pleasure in a genuine Honda OEM factory shop manual.
And so much more.... like float level and how to adjust the engine valves properly

18 hours ago, mixxer said:

I have never ever owned a machine without my first purchase being a factory shop manual for it....

Worth it's weight in gold.... Every time!!

Thanks guys. I found a manual online. Truthfully, I probably wont keep this bike very long. My wife likes to do some trail riding during the fall season, so I purchased this bike to ride with her. Otherwise, I primarily ride a kx450f. But I also have a CR250 2 stroke that I love riding every once in a while.

I bought it at a good price and just enjoy tinkering and fixing things up in my free time. Thanks for the replies.

I think I am going to start with the throttle cable routing. I have the cables routed over the bar instead of under. I thought the previous owner was a squid and didn't know that cables go on top haha. But it looks like OEM routing is under the bar.

I am also going to pull the carb, replace the o-ring in the pilot screw crevice, check the slide for smooth operation. Will check the float level. I am going to stay with my current jetting 130 main and 45 pilot. But I will start with the pilot screw at 3/8 turn out, and move up from there.

One thing to note: I believe after I idled it down via the idle screw, the hanging idle was at a lower RPM. This is perplexing. Wouldn't that be indicative of a slide or throttle cable issue? I just don't know of a logical place to start with this. Should I unhook the throttle cable at the carb and see if it hangs using just the slide arm to rev it? I want to do this logically.

Thanks everyone!

check the code of the needle too. it's relevant for the size of main and pilot jets.

with the power up needle you can start from 42 and 125-130 , with 03-05 needle 45 and 120 are a better starting point

13 minutes ago, 30x26 said:

check the code of the needle too. it's relevant for the size of main and pilot jets.

with the power up needle you can start from 42 and 125-130 , with 03-05 needle 45 and 120 are a better starting point

Pretty sure it's a stock 2006 needle. I have a dynojet needle that came with a jet kit. haven't installed it.

I set he pilot screw to 3/8 out. It idle okay until it warmed up. Now it won't idle. If I idle it up enough to keep it running. It has the hanging idle. Then I blip the throttle and it stalls. 

Float level looks okay. 

IMG_3632.JPG