Fiddling with carbs

Had some running issues on one of my Xr200r's so I cleaned the carb and replaced the leaking carb intake boot. Still had some odd stuttering and poor idle. Revved fine at higher rpm. Then on a tip I pressed out the needle jet.  The one on the right is the old one. Check out the wear. Gas was leaking past at idle and the bike would still run even with the idle air screw all the way in. In the second picture you can see the depth of recess on the top side of the needle jet. This will affect the fuel curve as you open the throttle all the way up. I hope the pics help anyone with similar issues. 

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

I've cleaned carbs many times, Just never knew these guys wear, and didn't know they can be easily pressed out. Just use a wooden dowel and tap out with a hammer. A pencil with no point will work too. Made a huge difference. Note the carb is over 17yrs old and this jet was probably never replaced. Still an easy check even on a newer carb.

• Like 1

Sounds like me cleaning the carb on our little crf50f. I thought I was doing ok all the times i cleaned it, til I realized I needed to take this out and clean it. Had to use a punch and tap it out 

20170207_132830_1486497565764.jpg

I can also recommend the "Berryman Chem-Dip" one gallon carb cleaner. We got it from walmart for around $18. Really nasty stuff, but it kicks butt in cleaning carb parts. Don't leave em in too long, and don't put plastic or painted stuff in there.

I prefer Berryman products, been using them for years. Yes, never use carb cleaner on plastic anything, it'll eat it