No power to bike/raising idle using brakes

Just picked up a new to me 97 DR350SE with 1900 miles. Bike is in pretty good shape overall, but it left me stranded on the trail this weekend. Running fine all day (and started fine in the morning), turned the bike off and it wouldn't start again. No power at all getting from the battery to anywhere. Didn't see any visible breaks in wiring and the battery itself looks fairly new with no corrosion on the terminals. Wasn't able to bumpstart it due to the terrain, but was able to get it jump started and it ran mostly ok after that.

On the way home I kept having an issue where the tach would shoot to near redline (same engine rpm) whenever I hit the brakes/turn signals (basically anything using power). Bike was also running at higher revs then before at idle (4kish) and took a while to come back down to normal idle.

Any thoughts on what could be my issue? Internally shorted battery? Bad ground? Something else?

Corroded ground would be my #1 guess.  The high rev could be a different problem, like a partly clogged carb or an air leak.

I went through 4 batteries, one cracked, the others just dead after an hour or two of riding ( both lead acid and lithium). It would always jump start no problem. I checked the whole electrical system up to the rectifier and then replaced that, all set now!