Hard to believe

Well ok JH look really good. However Im finding it hard to believe he is THAT much faster than USA's best. The dynamics at last weeks race simply dont allow a good comparison.

JH is fast and confident. However I doubt  he will "crush" Eli. 

Flame...........

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 5

Last to first , never done before ? But yes he wasn't that much faster

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

• Like 1

The only dynamics were tomac trying and failing , and then had to ride for the championship , what about the dynamics of everything was new to herlings ? You make out like he had a home track advantage ?

• Like 2

I guess we'll see this weekend. Eli said he's going to goo 100% in this weekends GP, with no pressure the dude can go fast, see if mog changes his tune after Sunday..

• Like 5

I hear ya and you may be right. JH was loose fluid and very fast.

The dynamics were all in the head. I cannot believe sometimes how much my lap times come down when im relaxed and have nothing to loose.

No I dont have any solid evidence to point to, I just do not believe JH is that much faster than Eli.

BTW it seemed to me that Eli was catching JH when Eli flopped over. Im not convinced eli was ridding over head to stay with JH. Yes he fell down BUT.....like DesertCR says we will see

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 3

If Tomac goes out and races hard ppl think he's a rabid dog, if he rides smart then ppl think he's slow. Idk why guys don't like Tomac, maybe because he's a hermit and people don't understand him?

If it was dungey we were talking there would be so many guys grappling for a spot to latch onto his scrotum it's not even funny...

• Like 8

Timing has a lot to do with it.  The talent pool varies from year to year.  This year, Tomac looked like he had the speed to run with him in the first moto, but landed in a fluffy spot and stuck the front end.  Small error, but I think let Tomac know that he should slow it down and win the title.  I'd have done the same thing.

One year ago, Musquin wasn't really a top three guy outdoors, and this year looks like the fastest guy in the AMA motocross 450 series.  Roczen (who isn't American, of course), Dungey or Tomac on their good days could all have swapped the lead with the Dutchman, but none of them are around right now at full speed with Tomac in title mode.  Hopefully Tomac pushes it at the USGP and we can see a good battle, if those two are even out front.  Might not be, there are some other fast riders in the GPs.

Not trying to make a "So and so weren't here" argument, but it kind of is like that.  Two of fastest guys of the last few years aren't even riding this year (Tomac was in win the title mode), but that doesn't take away from the fact that Herlings is fast.  He needs to work on his consistency, if he can reduce lapses of concentration, then he'll win more titles.  Look at Febvre, kicking butt last year and this year he's 190 points back and in 6th place, and has entered every event.

It's too bad Herlings had a few bad events in the beginning of the season and had the bike issue last weekend, it would be cool to see it tighter.

• Like 1

Tomac riding how he did last 5 weeks will get blown away ,I don't think that will happen , I think he will ride much better and could do anything from 1-3 overall .AC is in pure championship mode and I don't expect him to do anything special , the heat will be a factor , the Netherlands is cool and windy low humidity , I don't think tomac is very mature as a racer yet , if this week screws with his head he will flop.

And those saying he was chasing down herlings in the 1st race , herlings came from 4th on the start and blew by ,tomac went after him and he lasted less than a lap running a pace herlings ran all weekend. To even try to say he was close is like saying I'm close to being tall !!

• Like 6

My bet(s) on the US GP would align with this assessment:
(1) Herlings is fastest in the world right now.
(2) Cairoli is second fastest.
(3) Musquin might be third fastest. If he is, it's only by a hair above the next group.
(4) Gajser, Febvre and Tomac are neck and neck.

Musquin is not racing the USGP, so Tomac will finish 3rd - 5th. Of course this is only a guess. Of course there's good start / bad start luck, and a ton of other factors.

Can Tomac ride from last, and finish in this 3rd - 5th spot? No way! Tomac will need a decent start.

Edited by Hendricus
  • Like 1

Ppl just need to accept that Tomac is not on that level. He may be arguably the best US born racer at the moment but he's not the best in the world. Herlings came in last minute, unfamiliar with the bike, layout, track etc and flat out owned everyone. The circumstances don't change that. I hate to admit it, but it is what it is.

Edited by ah665
  • Like 5

Your only as good as your last race...
If Tomac wins the usgp the excuse is he should anyway since its here. If he gets ate up then the truth will be hard to accept for most swingers. That might make his fans more rabid though and work for his brand more than anything. Or Jeff wins and Tomac swingers start wearing orange...

Sent from my VS880 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lowmass said:

Well ok JH look really good. However Im finding it hard to believe he is THAT much faster than USA's best.

Only a fool doesn't believe what he saw with his own eyes 

• Like 8

is the MXGP track in Florida sandy ?

If so IMO the odd's are agin Tomac. Herlings is a sand guy and I don't think Tomac is.

however the heat should play to the US guys, but again perhapse not to Tomac as he doesn't train in Florida.

it's going to be interesting, I'm a Tomac fan, but my money is elseware,

$100 on Craig please .....LOL

• Like 1

I watched him and he was pushing hard. My friends were at the race and said he had a couple sketchy moments but that can be expected. I only seen maybe 2 moments where he almost ate it. I think what impressed me most was his ability to keep that pace throughout the whole race looking at the lap charts. I think the only guy active that can pull that off is Eli and he's been so up and down this year. I'm still not buying stock in Marvin yet...

• Like 1

Herlings embarrassed us on our own soil.  I believe the GP riders are faster outdoors than the US based riders.  Would any of our guys be able to go over there and win like Herlings did here?  No way.  There is a reason we haven't won the Des Nations in years and it is that we are not the fastest outdoors anymore.  It's not because we send our B team.  The competition ebbs and flows and the US MX riders are not as fast as the GP riders in this era.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Hendricus said:

My bet(s) on the US GP would align with this assessment:
(1) Herlings is fastest in the world right now.
(2) Cairoli is second fastest.
(3) Musquin might be third fastest. If he is, it's only by a hair above the next group.
(4) Gajser, Febvre and Tomac are neck and neck.

Musquin is not racing the USGP, so Tomac will finish 3rd - 5th. Of course this is only a guess. Of course there's good start / bad start luck, and a ton of other factors.

Can Tomac ride from last, and finish in this 3rd - 5th spot? No way! Tomac will need a decent start.

No way Musquin is faster than Tomac. Only someone who wears orange tinted sunglasses would see it that way.  You probably think Tomac was riding as fast as he could in SX 17 if you had the same glasses on in May.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wielywilly-g said:

No way Musquin is faster than Tomac. Only someone who wears orange tinted sunglasses would see it that way.  You probably think Tomac was riding as fast as he could in SX 17 if you had the same glasses on in May.

hummm......I may have to place another bet..!

I'm not an Orange fan at all,  but after watching this season, I think Marv is on point for the 2018 outdoor championship, He and Eli are quick, but Marvin is more consistent and looks smoother. And don't forget Blake, if his thumb get fixed he just may be unstoppable...I can't believe he did as well as he did with a thumb that can be pushed back to touch the fore-arm...and the throttle hand as well !

• Like 1

JH put on a show, his speed was impressive...last to first in a 40 rider field tells me he's on another level.

I'd be surprised if Tomac could match his speed at the GP.