New Bike - When to change the oil

What kind of bike did you get?  Many believe in a 'brisk' break-in; that is to say don't baby it.  Go through the gears without over revving and do not let the engine get too hot. Do not sit and let the engine idle too long.  I like to do the first oil change within the first three hours of running.  It is important to do the first oil change early and to change the filter, clean the screens and clean the oil drain magnet. 

Edited by Chas_M

13 minutes ago, Shantelly said:

I bought 2017 250 XC-F and I'm at 2.8hrs

Sent from my LG-H831 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Racing? After every race. Recreational riding? See your owner's manual.
http://www.ktm.com/globalassets/product-manuals-pim-data/dok_bike_bed_17_3213472_en_om__sen__aepi__v1.pdf

Me? I'd drop the oil and filter now. Your first was due at 1 hour, then 10, 20, 30 hrs and so on. See page 29

2 minutes ago, Shantelly said:

I believe it was done by the dealer when I got it because they did the first bit of break ins and I got it at 1.2hrs

Sent from my LG-H831 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I suppose that's possible, but I've never heard of a dealer breaking in a dirtbike for a customer. If that's correct, your next change is 10 running hours of recreational riding.

I ride a lot of different things and I would say 5 hours on the oil. The more you change it, the more your keeping the engine from wearing out. Oil is cheap but these engines are not. If you change at 5 you can go 10 on the filter especially if the oil is relatively clean coming out. That's just my opinion and I'm on 75 hours and everything is still well within spec. Do as you wish though

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app