Hunter743

How to tackle whoops

8 posts in this topic

Yesterday at the track (which doesn't have whoops) but there was a lot of people so there was these set of whoop like bumps at the end of a corner I hit them at about second gear and leaned back so my back tire just bounced over and my front tire glided on top is this how you do real whoops or am I learning a bad habit

That's called braking bumps, and that is a good habit from the corners, if you watch pros ride they almost are on the fenders trying to get the power to the back wheel on some corners, but that would be a bad habit for whoops or rollers. Most major instructors will tell you to remain in a neutral position on the bike and let the bike glide over( called skimming technique) or if they are larger you can double them( double technique I believe that's what it's called). Those are the two are probably the most common ways to ride them out. All I ride is pretty much whoops so after some pratice it will come naturally

That's called braking bumps, and that is a good habit from the corners, if you watch pros ride they almost are on the fenders trying to get the power to the back wheel on some corners, but that would be a bad habit for whoops or rollers. Most major instructors will tell you to remain in a neutral position on the bike and let the bike glide over( called skimming technique) or if they are larger you can double them( double technique I believe that's what it's called). Those are the two are probably the most common ways to ride them out. All I ride is pretty much whoops so after some pratice it will come naturally

Thank you I just didn't want to get in a bad habit thank you for the info

No problem. There's a lot of good stuff on youtube to advance yourself as a rider, I go back and refresh and watch new about every month now

As mentioned before, body position should be "neutral" or "central" - see pic. That being said head down over the bars, butt out, looking through the top of your goggles, provides you a good position to control the bike through the foot pegs, gripping with your legs and control the handlebars. It is important to control the bike (hold) with your legs while also letting it work. That same body position works well with zipping through braking/acceleration bumps but with the leaning into the force of acceleration or leaning back against braking.

Yes, that feeling you get blitzing through the braking/acceleration bumps can be much like the same feeling skimming whoops. But there are more aspects to whoops like how you enter. I find they are often times right after a corner and my preferred entry is to jump the 1st one and then skim the rest. I'm not very good at rhythm'ing through them.

Getting a bike to go through whoops well can be as much suspension adjustments. You need to have the bike well adjusted to you, so that it travels evenly over the whoops. Sometimes you do hold your legs a little bit stiffer going over the whoops as it can give you a little bit more lift but that is used more rhythming through than skimming. Typically skimming them is mostly about throttle control and body position. Also, having entry speed correct helps a lot.

Capture.JPG

1 person likes this

Was at a track I've only been to one time before. It has a nice set of whoops that are pretty easy to just decide to blitz them. They are in a stretch that you get an excellent run going into them. Plus they were not that deep and not very far apart. Because whoops are basically evenly spaced you can really just stay on the throttle (unless you are rythming through them).  When you hit a set of whoops correctly, it is a good feeling.