First oi change, slightly overfilled...problem?

Hello all.  I just finished my first oil change on my bike, and it is also the first oil change for the bike in general.  I filled the bike up with oil, started it up for about 20-30 secs and it went back down below min (im assuming thats the filter filling up) then i topped it off twice more and realized i over filled it slightly.  when the bike is standing up you can just see a little air pocket at the top of the window.  Is this enough over that I need to worry and try to drain some or will that be about close enough to be OK?

• Like 1

When you are checking the level is the bike on the kick stand or are you pulling the bike towards you so it is straight up and down?

Most people will tell you a bit over the max line isn't a big deal. I would personally drain the oil into a clean container and then fill it the proper amount. Only takes a minute and then you can relax knowing it's done right. 

• Like 1

I would loosen the drain plug slightly and let a little bit out, then recheck. 52 ounces of oil is what CRF250L 2012-2016 gets with a filter change. I always just put a whole quart in and then pour 20 more ounces into the empty quart using the graduation marks and add that. Works out pretty good.

• Like 1

Yeah i would personally try to drain a little out. Better off to play it safe, I would have it a little below the full line when the engine is cold 

• Like 1

When you are checking the level is the bike on the kick stand or are you pulling the bike towards you so it is straight up and down?
Most people will tell you a bit over the max line isn't a big deal. I would personally drain the oil into a clean container and then fill it the proper amount. Only takes a minute and then you can relax knowing it's done right. 

I leaned the bike as best I could to center it, without someone to hold it for me. I think tomorrow I'm just going to drain it a bit and get it where it needs to be so I don't worry about it... just didn't want to make another mess and have to clean it up.
  • Like 1

So when i got home from work today i drained about a solo cup of oil out of the engine, had my wife hold the bike level and only had to put about 1/4 back in soooooo I was way over.  very glad i decided to drain some.  thanks again for the advice!!!

• Like 2

I leaned the bike as best I could to center it, without someone to hold it for me. I think tomorrow I'm just going to drain it a bit and get it where it needs to be so I don't worry about it... just didn't want to make another mess and have to clean it up.

Not sure how others check the oil through the sight glass, but I get on the sight glass side, squat down with one knee on the ground and one straight up, reach up, grab the handlebar and seat then tilt towards me where engine crankcase rests on the knee that is straight up. Then I can bend down to eye level with the glass. I suppose that I should say...Caution should be used with this method. If one pulls the bike a little more past center/balanced, it could fall on you while squatting.

• Like 1

I primarily check the oil with the bike on a rear stand.  The manual says to start the bike for a couple minutes before checking the oil, and I do when setting the level after changing it.  Most of the time before riding I just look when it's on the stand cold, have found the oil level drops at most 1/4 of the way between the marks, so if it's in the middle to the top mark, cold, it should be OK when hot.  Personally I'd rather have a dipstick, much easier to pull it and check it when sitting on the bike, instead of trying to balance the bike with one hand while sitting next to it to see the sightglass.

• Like 2