New Tires, high speed wobble

Hey guys,

Just got new pilot powers on the drz. Removed the wheels and got them balanced at a shop and now have them installed. Today I notice my bike gets the wobbles at around 80 mph. I thought it may have been the wind but it happened during 3 different rides. Id be annoyed if the shop didnt balance them properly. Could there be anything else? When goign anything under 80 I dont notice anything being unbalanced just at those speeds.

Edited by bricew25

ive found over the years that some tires just dont agree with the setup of some bikes, you could try a different pressure, i run mine at ~35 .. ive had good luck with ceramic beads in bike tires to- 4oz for 12$ on amazon, i'd try it ..... front fender, missing weights on bars, things like that might affect it to, the front end runs real light on these .. also, since theyre new, give them a few rides to scuff in if theyre not, they might settle down ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

I've had this very same thing. New tyres at highway speeds caused a sort of weavey wobble. I had brand new head bearings so knew it wasn't that. I went back and asked the guys to re-balance and bingo. Turned out a weight had dropped off, not stuck on properly at the shop...

I also run Pilot Powers, I run them at ~32 and I've dropped the forks a bit in the yokes which helps with lightness at the front. Don't wanna wheelie away from every set of lights.

;)

I just checked and dont see any missing weights, but what you describe sounds just like the issue. The weavey wobble is a good way to put it and I know it didnt happen with my old worn out tires. I guess I will ride with it for a bit and then take them for a rebalance if it continues. 

I've never taken motorcycle wheels to a shop - does tire change include wheel truing? I believe not and perhaps that is a problem..

Make sure the tire shop didn't inflate to 40psi or more, DRZ likes mid to high 20 psi.  Your tires were designed for 100lb heavier bikes.  Nuts on the tank.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 38super said:

Make sure the tire shop didn't inflate to 40psi or more, DRZ likes mid to high 20 psi.  Your tires were designed for 100lb heavier bikes.  Nuts on the tank.

Ill check what they are at when I get home. The shop told me 32 PSI is what they had them at which seemed normal to me but I have never thought about the lesser weight. Most people run them in the 20's? 

Upper 20's for commuting, and mid/low 20's for canyons (depends on the tire and your riding).  Front fender can catch air and cause head shake, loose grip helps.  Some tires are affected by road surface / rain grooves, really looks goofy from behind.  Friend hit a ladder in a carpool lane, best tank slapper save I've ever seen.

Balance your own wheels.  It is easy to do, especially with something like the inexpensive motorcycle Harbor Freight wheel balancer.

3 hours ago, Chas_M said:

Balance your own wheels.  It is easy to do, especially with something like the inexpensive motorcycle Harbor Freight wheel balancer.

It just seems easier to have a shop do it when its included in the price of the mount job.

Check the balance,  but make sure the wheel is on straight.  It's very easy to miscount the little adjustment ticks when comparing one side to the other.

1 minute ago, whyfly said:

Check the balance,  but make sure the wheel is on straight.  It's very easy to miscount the little adjustment ticks when comparing one side to the other.

Would those have moved though? The 2 bolts on each side stop those blocks from moving ticks I thought 

I have to back them off every time I take off the wheel to get slack in the chain.     It also doesn't require any work to check check that when you make sure the wheel weight didn't fall off.      

On 8/28/2017 at 10:54 PM, 38super said:

Your tires were designed for 100lb heavier bikes.  Nuts on the tank.

:lol: