1994 440 parts availability?

I've been looking at different old beaters to restore for a winter project. I can seem to find much for parts for this bike, mainly top end rebuild parts. Am I missing something on my searches or are parts few and far between? THanks, Rob.

Parts are far and few between... Gonna have to enjoy the hunt.

The ones you find have the potential to be rather spendy. 

Thanks, I figured as much. I may pass. I've also considered something like an XR 400.  This 440 popped up and is rather clean minus the seized motor and it sure caught my eye.

Not to say it can't be done, just have the patience of a saint and the checkbook of a ceo. 

• Like 1

Just typed in KTM 440 into ebay search - and it came back with 28,670 parts available   :goofy:

I think pistons are the biggest issue. Custom only. $!!!!

I've yet to see a piston for sale outside the custom route. I did see a rod on ebay for about $400. I wonder if the  cylinder could be sleeved? I just need to walk away. :)  I've been off my bike since June 21st, tore my rotator cuff. In the mean time I bought a new 300xcw and a ton of parts to keep from going nuts. It's getting expensive and testing the wife's patience already and the couch in the garage isn't all that comfortable.

1 minute ago, Rob Mt. said:

I've yet to see a piston for sale outside the custom route. I did see a rod on ebay for about $400. I wonder if the  cylinder could be sleeved? I just need to walk away. :)  I've been off my bike since June 21st, tore my rotator cuff. In the mean time I bought a new 300xcw and a ton of parts to keep from going nuts. It's getting expensive and testing the wife's patience already and the couch in the garage isn't all that comfortable.

Keep the peace and spare the frustration. Andre Horvath in Austria has quite few parts, but even he is out of pistons and most things are more expensive than many care to spend. If this bike was a special bike or a nod to the past and the associated romance, I could see a resto. Enjoy the relative peace and new bike/parts.

• Like 1