denting the header away from the rad?

my last header wore through my rad.  so I got new rads.

then I wrecked my header, so now I got a new header.

this new exhaust is AWFULLY close to these brand new rads... I dont want them rubbing on each other again.   what is the best way to gently dent the header down a tiny bit.. almost like the 2017 (I think) have??   red hot and gently with a ball peen hammer?

IMG_2782.jpg

Edited by cdf450

anyway you can cut the corner of the rad and re-weld it ?

rather do that than dent the pipe

no thats a lot of work. that wouldnt be easy.

have you seen the new headers?  a tiny little dent wouldnt effect anything, and would give me so much clearance.  im positive the new ones are bent in at two spots, one for the kick start and one for the rad.    come to think of it.. id almost like one at the kickstart too, and no, im not cutting my kickstart.

Edited by cdf450

Control/clearance dents are used all the time, a dead blow hammer is nice and/or wood.

• Like 1

Would heat help? Any tips or tricks? Or just start smacking away gently?

Would hate to punch a hole right through my brand new exhaust. That would be my luck.

I would lay a piece of 1/2 pipe on the header and smack that.  I would prefer more clearance than the relief in the header would give.  If the radiator does not have  epoxied core joints it may be best to take it to a radiator shop and have it modified.

Edited by bnr
  • Like 1

Just curious as to how you guys figure taking my rads off. Draining them. Cleaning them. Cutting them somehow and probably eliminating the two outside cooling columns, bringing them to a specialty shop in the city and having them aluminum welded is better than two quick smacks of the header??? What am I missing here?

I don't think I need much. Maybe 1/2" would be a ton.

Have you guys seen those radiator lowering kits? I'm sure a guy could make a radiator raising kit too quite easily for even more clearance.

• Like 1

Just dent the pipe, easiest, most practical solution.

• Like 1

Id rather be safe than sorry. With my luck and amount I've been spending lately. Last thing I need is to ruin a brand new header. Just double checking. Half the people recommending to modify the rads kinda threw me off a little.

Will do some header smashin later and post some pics up

• Like 1

Header smashing went very smooth. Super easy. I definitely over thought it

IMG_2802.thumb.jpg.e26d997755544791e58ac61c855ed6b4.jpgIMG_2805.thumb.jpg.9f57f4d1b046efecb7e89368efe51b8b.jpgIMG_2806.thumb.jpg.5c8bb78e7b4496ec3c3e09f6c50dd3cd.jpgIMG_2810.thumb.jpg.fecd75741193177a26629534421f09ca.jpg

• Like 2