DRZ Different types of road tyres?

Heya. I'm not really sure on all the different tyres and specs for the DRZ 400. 

I bought my 2002 DRZ 400E with dirt tyres on them and then bought road tyres for them so i could ride home easier. Is there a difference in road tyres and super motard? 

As you can see in the photo, the wheels seem really small compared to SM and was wondering if that's okay how it is or could i buy thicker wheels. 

The second last photo is how it should look. 

The last photo is how it currently looks. 

Thanks in advance.

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5301.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

IMG_5303.JPG

370F33DE-EBE4-4345-B925-C8C38F02F4E9-5453-00000ACA1D22BC70.jpeg

IMG_4094.JPG

• Like 1

SM uses different size wheels than your E. To get that look, you need 17" wheels, front and back. The street tires on 18"/21" wheels is often referred to as a sportsman setup and actually does quite well on the street and on the tract.

• Like 1

As stated above, Super motard wheels are 17" diameter and wider to mount wider tires.  The wheel diameter for the E model and S models of the DRZ400 are 18" rear and 21" front. The front wheel (rim) is 1.60 wide, rear is 2.15.  I do not  know off hand the width of the SM wheels.

E wheels mount 80 or 90 width front and 110 or 120 rear.  SM wheels mount 120 front and 140 to 150 rear.  The differences look even greater than the tire widths suggest due to the wider SM wheels.  You can't just mount wider tires on narrow wheels even if the widths in the rims diameters were available. It just doesn't work.

• Like 1

Thanks @Noble and @ptgarcia for the help. I will just stick with what I have got for now and buy another set for the off-road tyres. 

@HeavyRotation I like your idea! 

Edited by Jaay
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Jaay said:

Thanks @Noble and @ptgarcia for the help. I will just stick with what I have got for now and buy another set for the off-road tyres. 

@HeavyRotation I like your idea! 

That's what I am doing. I have two complete front wheels (with oversized brake rotors) already and I'm working on the rear. I'm trying to get my hands on a wheel with a cush hub but finding one at a reasonable price has turned out to be a chore. Actually, finding any rear at a reasonable price has been a chore.

• Like 1