Yz125 Kick Start Assembly

Hi there,

I pulled off my crackcase to get to the kickstart assembly to inspect it as sometimes it was not returning after being pushed down. I pulled off the exhaust then the side cover, then the power valve cover and the crankcase cover, all that. I got to the kick start assembly fine and inspected it and all looks good but now I cant put it back together!

On the video I watched on youtube he says to put the kick start lever on and test that it is working, everytime I do this the spring pops off or the kick won't even move like the cogs aren't lining up properly. Is there any special timing that it needs to go on?

Thanks for any help

10 hours ago, Caleb Riordan said:

Hi there,

I pulled off my crackcase to get to the kickstart assembly to inspect it as sometimes it was not returning after being pushed down. I pulled off the exhaust then the side cover, then the power valve cover and the crankcase cover, all that. I got to the kick start assembly fine and inspected it and all looks good but now I cant put it back together!

On the video I watched on youtube he says to put the kick start lever on and test that it is working, everytime I do this the spring pops off or the kick won't even move like the cogs aren't lining up properly. Is there any special timing that it needs to go on?

Thanks for any help

can you take a picture of how you have it installed?

I managed to figure it out, was working really good with just a couple of bolts put in the crankcase cover for testing it so I put everything back together and it stopped working again. So I stripped it back and notice that the bolts near the kickspring, when installed were stopping the spring from working. So I took the crankcase cover off again and saw how it had been welded up and fixed where previously cracked so I am assuming thats what the problem is and will have to replace the crankcase cover :(

21216042_10209210425690279_2115176880_o.jpg

1 hour ago, P84ONE said:

125's dontend to crack there more than 250. Looks like a good weld, grind some meat off and try again. You might be able to salvage that side cover. 

That's what my first thought was as well but I think it has re-cracked again

16 hours ago, Caleb Riordan said:

I managed to figure it out, was working really good with just a couple of bolts put in the crankcase cover for testing it so I put everything back together and it stopped working again. So I stripped it back and notice that the bolts near the kickspring, when installed were stopping the spring from working. So I took the crankcase cover off again and saw how it had been welded up and fixed where previously cracked so I am assuming thats what the problem is and will have to replace the crankcase cover :(

21216042_10209210425690279_2115176880_o.jpg

How long have you had the bike for? Was it working at all before you took it apart? The reason I ask is that weld is higher then the opening for the kick shaft and would be far enough away from the spring.

4 hours ago, cookiemonsterMoA said:

How long have you had the bike for? Was it working at all before you took it apart? The reason I ask is that weld is higher then the opening for the kick shaft and would be far enough away from the spring.

I've had the bike for about 6 months and it worked perfectly until maybe a couple of months after having it, there was a few times where I fouled the plug and had to keep kicking it over and over as hard as I could to start it and it was around that time that the kick stopped returning and getting stuck down the bottom by the peg. I see there's still a crack in that casing and I wonder if the crack came back after all that kicking. I have ordered a new one anyway as I found one on ebay for $75, so that's algood, I figured it was worth replacing anyway, then I can rule it out. I'm gonna make a video to show you what's happening and maybe you will have some idea of the problem from watching what happens, the part won't arrive to me for a couple of weeks so it would be nice to be able to fix it with the current part for now.

Thanks

Caleb

• Like 1

It most likely is the weld. Maybe the case cover is warped and now that it is cracking its getting worse. If you really wanted to know pull the clutch assembly out so when you bolt on the cover you can see where the spring or gear is catching. BTW what year is that 2000? Also how that case is cracked on the gasket surface I would not even barter using that case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 0:02 PM, P84ONE said:

Cover/case warped and is now kind of done. A different outer case will fix it for sure. 

The outer case finally arrived, and its still doing the same thing! can't believe it.... I need some serious help now as I am totally stumped! its like when the kick is pushed down the spring is catching on something and not able to pop, but if you loosen the screws back to finger tight then its fine. So gutted right now.

2 minutes ago, Caleb Riordan said:

The outer case finally arrived, and its still doing the same thing! can't believe it.... I need some serious help now as I am totally stumped! its like when the kick is pushed down the spring is catching on something and not able to pop, but if you loosen the screws back to finger tight then its fine. So gutted right now.

Try what I said earlier. Remove the clutch assembly so when the cover is on tight you can look inside the case and see what is happing. Use a mirror and light if you need to see feather inside. What year is the bike?

5 minutes ago, cookiemonsterMoA said:

Try what I said earlier. Remove the clutch assembly so when the cover is on tight you can look inside the case and see what is happing. Use a mirror and light if you need to see feather inside. What year is the bike?

Okay will give that a go, just really didnt want to add another whole process to this already annoying process. It's a 1997

I don't know what I did but its working now, I just had one more go at reassembling kick shaft stuck some oil on it and put the new gasket around the cover and boom she's working fine again now. The only other question I have is that I do need to take this part out of the old casing and still don't know what it is, it's not listed on the parts diagram, so very confused as the new case didn't come with this part.

IMG_1553 (1).JPG

5 hours ago, P84ONE said:

Back to your other post. There is only one seal (per the diagram) that that goes inside, and you must have ordered the wrong part. 

Aha I worked out that part, it all comes as one piece but you can pull the piece in the middle out, so should be sussed for that part. Today the kick got stuck again, I just can't work this out. Here's another quick clip to check out as maybe the kick spring is out of shape?? it has to be the spring catching on something...