Trailer for 4 bikes (family..)

I'm trying to figure out what kind of trailer I need for bikes for the whole family.  Kids are young (9 & 13) but they grow fast and I'm thinking of getting something that could last for a while.  While at the beginning it would be a kids bike, a full size bike and ~125 with large wheels, in a few years it likely be 3 full size bikes and one ~125 large wheels for the wife.  

Searched quite a bit and from what I could find, if I was to follow the recommendations I would end up with a 10x32 enclosed enclosed because you know, the larger the better.   However I need to park the damn thing somewhere and tow it so the smaller and the lighter the better..   and they also tend to be cheaper.  Enclosed would be nice since you can gear up in there when weather is average but it seems like you need much larger one than going open.    I don't want nor can afford anything fancy.  I will build a kitchen in the trailer, sleep in there or build a workbench.   I need to be able to tow it in poor road conditions to get where I need to get so the smaller the better as well from that point of view.  

Practically, what's a decent trailer that would be suitable?  Can I fit this on a 5x8 open?  6x10 minimum?    A guy recommended a dual snowmobile trailer but these are super wide so a PITA to park in my garage.   Enclosed would be nice but for 4 bikes would need to be pretty damn big and I'd need a gigantic SUV to tow it and mileage would suck at all time.    Currently don't have the bikes except for the kid one but we'll be getting stuff over the next few months when deals pop up so I can't really do a test.   I don't mind being a bit creative but at the same time want something that is safe (ie: I won't go as far as the picture below)

I was all set for something like a 3 rail kendon which are not cheap but seem great since I could fold but my wife decided that she wanted to ride as well... they don't offer 4 rails one so I'm pretty much back to square one except that I now have a wife that wants to join the fun :thumbsup:.  I'll possibly use it for motorcycle track days as well down the road if I have enough disposable income to subject my street bike to that kind of treatment.   Or maybe tow two street bikes for a trip at some point.  

So, any recommendations? 

Thanks! 

IMG_20170602_101259766_HDR.jpg.ce19b2b813f6df7c18426d8ead069c3b[1].jpg

I have the Kendon 3 bike trailer and am quite happy with it. 

I actually bought it used for $1k which was a great deal compared to brand new pricing. 

If you have a pickup, then the 4th bike could just go in your bed. 

IMG_0014.JPG

No pick-up at this point... just a good old Elantra touring which won't cut it thus will be replaced.  Other car is a Golf GTI which is even less suitable.   

Maybe a pick up is the way to go.. if I can find a cheap kendon!  

• Like 1

Worse case, buy the Kendon and hook up to the Elantra and then get a single bike trailer for the Golf (Northern Tool makes one).

The tongue weight it pretty low on the Kendon, so I bet you'd be ok and the tow weight would prob be 1000lbs with three bikes (including trailer weight) so double check what the max is you could tow before you buy a trailer.

Yes it'd require two vehicles but it'd save a bunch of $ compared to a whole new vehicle. 

No pick up, no enclosed trailer.  Enclosed trailers use trailer brakes, and your van will not have that as an option.  I use a 3 rail trailer on the back of a Subaru Forester, but I am not thinking that would be a good idea for a fourth bike.  Harbor Freight has some utility trailers, and I really think a utility trailer of some kind would be your best bet.

Throw four of these on a utility trailer:

I actually just bought these for my toy hauler. Just haven't had time to mount them and try them out. 

The two trailers isn't a bad idea... would definitely save me a bunch of $ ! 

So from what I understand from this thread, the main issue is with the tie downs and by using something like the lock and load above I can have a much smaller trailer? 

Yeah, it'd save a little. But the lock and load saves pressure on your forks which can be good. 

The Kendon isn't terribly wide or long which is nice too. 

Can tell ya 4 don't go on a 5x10 landscape trailer easily. Not something you'd wanna do every weekend.

23 minutes ago, highmarker said:

Can tell ya 4 don't go on a 5x10 landscape trailer easily. Not something you'd wanna do every weekend.

Even "just" 3 full size and a large wheel one?   dammit.  Sounds like I may have to do the two trailer thing or go with the pick up in the end if we do indeed ride lots.   No point in having all the bikes and gear but staying home because it's a PITA to load in a trailer.  

i bought a 5x10 because the tires tracked the same as my pickup, helps in the snow. Thought I could haul 4 full size dirt bikes but found out after trying a bunch of different angles It wasn't that easy.  a 6x10 might?  Also bought the trailer to haul rack and cargo and for its 3500lb axle and 15 wheels  (glad I did that). 

• Like 1

A 6X12 utility trailer for less than $1500 would be ideal and will be very versatile for use for the forseeable future for all kinds of hauling. Rail trailers are very restrictive and probably the least useful. Have had two,  will never have another. And don't install anything on the floor that ruins the floor for loading other stuff, no good reason to. Very simple to tie a bike down with straps using simple eye bolts bolted/welded on the rails or flush hooks that most trailer supple houses have or hardware stores. Very simple, inexpensive  solutions abound with some common sense thought.