Jump to content

identify this spring?

Recommended Posts

I found this under a 2001 XR250 and I don't know if it is for the bike. The only work I was doing at the time was a valve check, and I also disconnected the manual decompressor cable to re adjust that as well.  Anyone recognize it? As I said, it may be even be for this bike, but I want to be sure.

IMG_3489.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the spring from the front brake lever didnt see a spring like that during my rebuilt but i had earlier model 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I don't claim to be a good mechanic, but if it is fro a front brake I'm worse than I thought. :(

Edited by dogeddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im not saying it defo is just looks like the one that goes in the front brake lever , i didnt recall seeing such spring within the rocker cover  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know - just being a funny guy... It is possible it is from another of my victims

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trailryder - thats it!! Thank you!! I was trying to start the bike and unscrewed the nut inside the plug boot. What order does it go back in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say, in the order shown in the picture. Imagine the plug boot laying to the right of the spring in the picture.

Don't know what you were trying to accomplish with unscrewing the resister screw for starting purposes, but it is not adjustable that way. Install the components as shown and snug the screw.

Edited by Trailryder42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I was seeing if there was anything that would prevent a good connection. I don't recall any copper piece in my setup though - just the screw, the red/white piece, and the spring (which I obviously DIDN'T know about). Is the copper piece a replacement for the red/white piece or something?

 

Nevermind - you must've replaced the resistor with the copper piece - thanks

Edited by dogeddie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dogeddie said:

Thanks. I was seeing if there was anything that would prevent a good connection. I don't recall any copper piece in my setup though - just the screw, the red/white piece, and the spring (which I obviously DIDN'T know about). Is the copper piece a replacement for the red/white piece or something?

 

Nevermind - you must've replaced the resistor with the copper piece - thanks

Yes, the copper slug is a popular XR mod. It replaces the resistor. One less thing that can fail. The copper slug has a lower resistance than any metal besides gold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, geezer99 said:


Actually, conductivity champs are in this order:  #1 silver, #2 copper, # gold, #4 aluminum

More here:  https://www.thoughtco.com/table-of-electrical-resistivity-conductivity-608499

interesting....... I wonder why they use GOLD plated terminals in low resistance applications  such as mobile phones, computers and metal detectors if silver is better??? and a whole lot cheaper..... sounds a bit dodgy to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2017 at 1:37 AM, vicxr400 said:

interesting....... I wonder why they use GOLD plated terminals in low resistance applications  such as mobile phones, computers and metal detectors if silver is better??? and a whole lot cheaper..... sounds a bit dodgy to me

Because gold doesn't oxidize like silver, copper, and aluminum.  Silver is the better conductor.

I used a stainless steel bolt.  It's so large compared to the load, there's little resistance and no corrosion. 

 

Edited by Baja Rambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

Because gold doesn't oxidize like silver, copper, and aluminum.  Silver is the better conductor.

I used a stainless steel bolt.  It's so large compared to the load, there's little resistance and no corrosion. 

 

don't like to argue but that sounds contradictory.       as for the stainless steel bolt im guessing this is for the ignition coil resistor replacement???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vicxr400 said:

don't like to argue but that sounds contradictory.       as for the stainless steel bolt im guessing this is for the ignition coil resistor replacement???

Go ahead and look it up in any encyclopedia.  

In WW2 we had a shortage of copper so used silver wire to wind motors for centrifuges on Manhattan project. 🇺🇸 

And yes,  stainless for resistor replacement.  Brass can also be used.

Gold works because it's not a soldered connection so corrosion between contacts is the issue there.  Once soldered, oxidation is not so much of a problem.  So yes, gold plated silver would be a great replacement for the resistor, second only to being soldered or one whole piece.

 

 

Edited by Baja Rambler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yehh is ok I guess you don't see what I see. I get that a lot being    as    is all good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, vicxr400 said:

yehh is ok I guess you don't see what I see. I get that a lot being    as    is all good?

Respectfully, what do you see?  Maybe I can learn something.

I edited previous post.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×