Suzuki DRZ 70, no spark

Hey Everyone, I've owned a Suzuki DRZ 70 for a couple years and it has been trouble free and awesome.  Went riding with the kids a month ago and it rode well.  Trailer'd it home and now wont start.  Fuel side is good but no spark.  Replaced the spark plug, still no spark.  Tested the coil and it is OK.  I'm thinking possibly the ignition switch or stop switch?  Also, the battery is dead... charging as we speak.  In the case the battery charges but still doesn't initiate the starter, its for sure the kill or the ignition switch I guess.  I don't have another battery to test it with.

My challenge is I don't know how to test the ignition and kill switch wiring?  I followed the wiring from the on/off switch to under the tank and it leads to a rubber/plastic coupling but it doesn't come apart.  Can anyone offer advice on where to start.  Hope to have her fixed for this weekend for riding with the kids.

It appears that even with a good battery, wont do anything.  I.e.  Its like the key is off (but I can assure you it is on).  When I push the electric start button, nothing.  When I kick it, nothing.  No spark either way.  Doesn't even click or turn over with the estart.

So I'm looking for a CDI and they are very hard to find and pricey (about 300 canadian).  Can someone please tell me if I can use an aftermarket CDI For the DRZ 70 or where to find one.  I'm even OK with a bit of rewiring to change a plug or using Chinese CDI's if they can save me a couple hundred.  This is a low use bike and I just need it to run.  I can find lots of Chinese CDI's on amazon and ebay but would they work on a DRZ 70?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks again,

Yeuker

Hey everyone, this is sort of a cross post from the DRZ 70 forum, but I've had no replies there so trying here (hope thats cool).  I'm having some spark troubles with my daughters Suzuki DRZ 70.  Its acting like the key is off or the on/off switch is off.  I've traced power through the ignition, past the key switch and it is 12V everywhere it should be when those switches are on.  I've tested the coil which appears to be good.  I've bought a new plug and its not the plug.  

When I hit the electric start button... nothing.  Not a sound, not a click, nothing (like the key is off).  When I kick it over it turns over easy, but there is no spark.  If I remove the plug from the engine and ground it and kick it, still no spark.  I'm betting it is the CDI.

Only a few places in town that can get me a CDI and they are about 300 dollars which is expensive.  I know these bikes have lots in common with the DRZ 110 and KLX 110, could I use a CDI from one of those bikes?  A Chinese CDI?  I'm half handy and OK with putting a new plug on something.  The part number I can find for the Suzuki 70 cdi is  32900-14H00.  I live in Canada so exchange and shipping on US parts is about 40% extra.  Can anyone provide advice?  I've been at this bike all week :-(.  

I appreciate any help you could provide.  Thanks,

Yeuker

Edited by yeuker

You could be right.  That being said,

I have tested the run/stop switch and it blocks power when off, allows power through when on.

I have also tested the ignition switch and it also blocks power when off, allows power through when on.

There is power getting "to" the CDI.

Edited by yeuker

If... all wiring and switches are 'good' (all grounds clean and [erfect contact), another common fail point is the stator/crank position sensor. Though they fail slowly, usually, first manifesting as a high speed miss but sometimes, they simply stop working. The stator, not only charges the battery but supplies a current that collapses to the CDI which along with the position sensor, sends a jolt to the coil (which you also need to test/swap). My point is.CDI's almost never fail. They are the last thing I consider. I have never, in my entire life, had one fail. The only bikes with a bad 'CDI rep' id the Honda 650's.

Here is a photo of the starter system.  I've traced through the yellow and as above have verified power through the yellow:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0KW7K7bgEjBcXl4VVB4N2RpVnM/view?usp=sharing

Looking at this schematic (correct me if I am wrong), when I push the starter button, likely power should be going to the starter relay/motor and it should be turning over but not sparking correct?  It isn't even turning over.  

The O/W wire should have power at the CDI with the on/off switch on and the stop switch opn. But volts is only part of it, there must be amps as well. I'd check that by connecting a light bulb (like a tail light bulb) to it and confirm it lights art full brightness.

When you press the starter button, the starter relay engages, flowing power to the starter motor. The starter relay does noting inso far as the spark happening. It is all the O/W wire and the stator/sensor/CDI/Ignition coil. and spark plug.

Notice the neutral switch, it connects to ground, itf that is faulty, the CDI will not work. I'd unplug it and see if the bike gets a spark.

Edit. If the starter cranks, the neutral switch has to be OK.

Awesome.  I was just wondering about that looking at the schematic.  So the neutral switch is staying closed (even when it is in neutral)?  Can I remove the neutral switch just to test?  I'll look through the service manual and get back at it tonight.

Yes, it provides the ground to the CDI (detects ground) and top the starter solenoid.

The CDI has its' own real ground but it determines if the neutral switch is working. The CDI must detect neutral switch  ground for the bike to spark on starting.

25 minutes ago, yeuker said:

Awesome.  I was just wondering about that looking at the schematic.  So the neutral switch is staying closed (even when it is in neutral)?  Can I remove the neutral switch just to test?  I'll look through the service manual and get back at it tonight.

Locate where the switch connects to the harness, run a temp jumper from it to a good ground. Make sure the bike is really in neutral before trying to start it.

Lol.  I've double checked the bike is really in neutral.  Its up on a table... on a milk crate in the center of my garage.  I've taken it out of neutral and made sure the back tire is rigid then back into neutral to ensure the back tire spins.  Its in neutral but will check the neutral switch tonight.  Again, you guys (William1) are awesome.