A wet MXGP

Thanks to Harvey, forcast has rain down there Wed, Thrus, Fri, Sat, and Sun.  Is this place all sand?  Is there much mud and clay?

• Like 2

Looks like a fast track without a lot of the steep downhill choppy stuff like many of the tracks we have seen in the outdoor series. That forecast doesn't really look all that bad.

28 minutes ago, CORider63 said:

Is it just me, or does that look more like a TT track instead of a pro-level motocross track?  :excuseme:

I agree.  When I watched a YouTube vid of it earlier in the year, I thought I'd like it because it didn't really have any jumps that looked scary.  For a pro track though, that's too tame.

But, it could turn out to be a great track for racing, hopefully it will be fun to watch if the racing is tight.

All tracks available in the states and they chose this one? What a joke of a series...

• Like 2

All of you who think this track won't be tough enough for the pros. Think again.. there may not be many jumps. That's ok.. it will have many other challenges.Screenshot_2017-08-29-23-54-56.png

The Fitness Factory

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, slowgs2001 said:

All of you who think this track won't be tough enough for the pros. Think again.. there may not be many jumps. That's ok.. it will have many other challenges.Screenshot_2017-08-29-23-54-56.png

The Fitness Factory

I'm curious to know where a pic of Unadilla fits into all of this?

Edited by Cigaro
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, slowgs2001 said:

The Fitness Factory

You can find areas like that all over the country, but it doesn't make it a good, pro-level motocross track.

59a6ba5455bd3_PlowedCornField.jpg.b49a3b17994917bd24e1afbe86cb97e9.jpg

...and I seem to remember seeing a track like this, before:

59a6c17f3427d_SlotCarTrack.jpg.83637879f2b9f6f9596733eb4f38b6ae.jpg

:smirk:

Edited by CORider63
  • Like 6

I hope it's not a mudder , I want straight up brawling

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

• Like 3

Most of the the GP tracks are now specialty tracks built on flat ground instead of the old style tracks we used to see. Only a few are built on terrain that have steep hills that have limited spectator viewing. I think it's a supercross type of influence. The switch back turns have very large radius that allow the racers to maintain there speed. Jumps are smaller but many are built on super soft loose material that rut up much more that typical AMA tracks. They look easy before practice but by the time the race starts they aren't. It has become a different style of mx than what we are use to here in the USA.  Not better, just different.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Budlite said:

Most of the the GP tracks are now specialty tracks built on flat ground instead of the old style tracks we used to see. Only a few are built on terrain that have steep hills that have limited spectator viewing. I think it's a supercross type of influence. The switch back turns have very large radius that allow the racers to maintain there speed. Jumps are smaller but many are built on super soft loose material that rut up much more that typical AMA tracks. They look easy before practice but by the time the race starts they aren't. It has become a different style of mx than what we are use to here in the USA.  Not better, just different.

I disagree on most tracks being built on flat ground. Simply not true. It's like six tracks I counted that are built on a relatively level ground. Take for example France (all of them), Czech Republic, Trentino, even Russia, Germany.. at least a part of most tracks is not plainly level. I agree on the jumps though, not so many +50-60ft like we can see on some of AMA tracks.

How they differ from most American tracks is that they have much more small speed "humps" like on the inside line on the corners to keep them comparable and generally get rougher (more braking bumps, bumpy lines, crossed ruts) because only the jump faces get repaired and there are usually at least two support categories (up to 4) racing the standard Euro format.

Some of the riders I know have often said it's difficult to get a good training session anywhere since all the tracks are always tended to and nothing gets even close to what a GP track looks like after a race weekend.

• Like 1

I just came home from a hardpack choppy track , like a GP track in Italy Vs a ama track , bike was horrible , made it softer and it was like a different track ,if ama riders use stiff suspension on those types of choppy tracks , you struggle to get grip , I know I'm no pro but the principle applies , the same setting on a soft track felt horrible

you can't argue with stupid or Yamaha owners

• Like 4

I've watched 7 or 8 GP races this year and only one wasn't basically built on flat ground. The one this weekend will be also. That hump referred to on the inside of turns is a man made thing in an attempt to make the outer lines more competitive. It doesn't work. The solution is to make the turns tighter. Those also aren't breaking bumps, they are acceleration bumps. There's a big difference. Hitting breaking bumps is similar to running into a curb. What's missing on both AMA and GP tracks are whoops and off cambers. All this really doesn't matter much as all the riders ride the same track and whether the jumps are big or small, mx is still won in the turns.

• Like 1

I've watched 7 or 8 GP races this year and only one wasn't basically built on flat ground. The one this weekend will be also. That hump referred to on the inside of turns is a man made thing in an attempt to make the outer lines more competitive. It doesn't work. The solution is to make the turns tighter. Those also aren't breaking bumps, they are acceleration bumps. There's a big difference. Hitting breaking bumps is similar to running into a curb. What's missing on both AMA and GP tracks are whoops and off cambers. All this really doesn't matter much as all the riders ride the same track and whether the jumps are big or small, mx is still won in the turns.

There is no place for whoops in MX!
  • Like 2