2017 models with activation code?

I've been told that the 17 models must be "activated" before use... there should be a software code to be put inside the ECU at first start-up.

Since they told me so for an Enduro model, I'm wondering if the same is true for motocrossers. Does anybody know how this code works? Is it intended just for the initial startup or you need to keep it for later activities also (maintenance, an so on)?

Thanks

2 hours ago, frengo_it said:

I've been told that the 17 models must be "activated" before use... there should be a software code to be put inside the ECU at first start-up.

Since they told me so for an Enduro model, I'm wondering if the same is true for motocrossers. Does anybody know how this code works? Is it intended just for the initial startup or you need to keep it for later activities also (maintenance, an so on)?

Thanks

Yes it is the same for MX versions. The bike will only run for 30 minutes without the "activation code". The code is given to the dealer once the dealer has pronounced the bike "sold" through the KTM Portal. Once the bike is sold the tech mechanic will use the KTM computer to wirelessly "activate" the bike which removes the 30-minute window the bike comes with so dealers can make sure the bike starts prior to consumer receiving it. The code is no longer needed once the bike is activated. But, that code can be reached from any dealer portal if need be. 

My dealer told me mine had the latest map in it as well. 17 FC450

Edited by SMarquez

They do this because, particularly in some EU Countries, dirt bikes are imported through unofficial channels. These "parallel" bikes are then sold at a lower price compared to what you pay to an official dealer. The activation code is then given just to the official dealers, trying to defend them against the parallel market.