2005 KX250f Bottom End Issue - Is It Worth It?

I just picked up a clapped out, (complete) 2005 kx250f for $400. I haven't opened it up yet, but the bike "shifts" into first and 2nd, but nothing above that. The "clicks" when it goes into gear are very light, and the drive sprocket spins even if the bike is in gear.  Anyone heard of this happening? Does that mean the transmission is shot or the crank is completely blown?  Anyway, a top and bottom end plus parts will probably cost me $1200. Is it even worth it? I can sell it on FB Marketplace for around $4-600. But running '05 KX250f's are going for $2k around here (northern Indiana). 

I also bought it as a learning tool as I have only done a top end on 2t's when I raced back in the day. 

Edited by kNewc

8 minutes ago, kNewc said:

Is it even worth it?

That depends on what you want to do with the bike.

I recently picked up an 04 for $300.00, in boxes but complete, and in decent shape. I'll have around $1500-$1800 into it by the time I'm done building it, and thats about what it's valued at. But I didn't buy it to flip it, I bought it to ride it.

As far as the trans issue, it sounds like it's prolly gonna have to come apart to see what is happening...

• Like 1

Test comp. And do a leak down. If those pass. Forget about anything top end .

Open the bottom and fix whats wrong. Those parts, bearings and gaskets, you could do less than $500 easy.

Measure clutch fibers and see if steels are warped. Measure EVerything obviously. 

Buy a shop manual. Thats the next thing you should buy.

Hell yeah its worth it. I break open a 2017 motor cause its not how I want it. I for sure am breaking open an 05 and rebuilding the whole motor especially if I paid as much as you did.

Depends if you race really. Then youd want your motor on point. So unless you're buying a zero hour motor, and you race, you need to go in.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Trfsrfr said:

That depends on what you want to do with the bike.

I recently picked up an 04 for $300.00, in boxes but complete, and in decent shape. I'll have around $1500-$1800 into it by the time I'm done building it, and thats about what it's valued at. But I didn't buy it to flip it, I bought it to ride it.

As far as the trans issue, it sounds like it's prolly gonna have to come apart to see what is happening...

Yea, I agree. I have only had a 450f so far (I used to race cr250's in high school) and I am wanting to compare sizes. I also bought it to ride it. 

11 hours ago, kNewc said:

I also bought it as a learning tool 

You will learn that you cannot recoup money from motorcycles unless they were given to you for free and without issue. You may not believe me but by the time you fix every little thing on the bike you will have exceeded its value. I don't think there's high demand for the 04-05 KX250F nor the 04-06 RMZ250 (same bike). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

You will learn that you cannot recoup money from motorcycles unless they were given to you for free and without issue.

I haven't learned this yet...

7 hours ago, shrubitup said:

You will learn that you cannot recoup money from motorcycles unless they were given to you for free and without issue. You may not believe me but by the time you fix every little thing on the bike you will have exceeded its value. I don't think there's high demand for the 04-05 KX250F nor the 04-06 RMZ250 (same bike). 

I agree. I'm shooting to break even, but after totaling everything I want to do to it I know I won't make money on it. Which isn't really my goal at this point.

It sounds like you bought it to ride it. That being the case, remove the engine from the bike, get it onto the bench, and get started.
No one can tell you the problem on this one. There will be 7 to 8 speculations of possibilities. You just have to open it and see what is found.
There are some very well done videos on this engine. Imho matthewmcrepair youtube is a good place to start.
Take your time and have fun with it. Looking forward to some progress pictures, q&a, and the success story!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FaceDeAce said:

It sounds like you bought it to ride it. That being the case, remove the engine from the bike, get it onto the bench, and get started.
No one can tell you the problem on this one. There will be 7 to 8 speculations of possibilities. You just have to open it and see what is found.
There are some very well done videos on this engine. Imho matthewmcrepair youtube is a good place to start.
Take your time and have fun with it. Looking forward to some progress pictures, q&a, and the success story!

I saw that video the other day. Seems like you have to purchase the other 2/3rds and the website is down! I may just purchase them too if it's available. I just have never heard of the bike "locking" up with the gears not moving and yet the crank is moving freely. It's all good. I bought it to fix it. I have the manual and I'll tear into it in a couple months when I have the cash and it's a bit cooler in the shop.  I'm in the 'buying tools' phase now since I don't have the luxury of my Dad's shop any longer haha. I need an impact, impact screwdriver, and flywheel puller. I know other people with crank splitter and and bearing press/removal tools.  If I ever get to it, there will be a build posted. Thanks for the words of encouragement! 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2017 at 1:45 PM, kNewc said:

I saw that video the other day. Seems like you have to purchase the other 2/3rds and the website is down! I may just purchase them too if it's available. I just have never heard of the bike "locking" up with the gears not moving and yet the crank is moving freely. It's all good. I bought it to fix it. I have the manual and I'll tear into it in a couple months when I have the cash and it's a bit cooler in the shop.  I'm in the 'buying tools' phase now since I don't have the luxury of my Dad's shop any longer haha. I need an impact, impact screwdriver, and flywheel puller. I know other people with crank splitter and and bearing press/removal tools.  If I ever get to it, there will be a build posted. Thanks for the words of encouragement! 

Yes, I have been having website issues, what a PITA. Anyway, you are going to have to fix this one yourself. Taking it to a shop will cost too much for an older bike like this.

Does the shifter "spring back" or stay in the up/down position after a shift?

On 9/1/2017 at 3:21 PM, MatthewMCRepair said:

Yes, I have been having website issues, what a PITA. Anyway, you are going to have to fix this one yourself. Taking it to a shop will cost too much for an older bike like this.

Does the shifter "spring back" or stay in the up/down position after a shift?

The other link that lets you actually purchase the video was online. So I assume that still works.

The shifter "springs back" in the 1st and 2nd gear. But it feels lighter than usual.  The kickstart is stuck so I assume it's dropped a valve and blew a few tranny gears lol. But yea, I purchased it to fix it myself. I want to learn how to rebuild bottom ends since nobody in our group of riders does it.

Edited by kNewc
  • Like 2