HORSEPOWER35

Ims 2.9g yzf tank on fx

I remember seeing an article in one of the mags recently on how to make the 2017 yzf 2.9g tank work on a 2017 wr or fx.  I can't find this info anywhere. It was step by step instructions on how this mod is done. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction.

35 minutes ago, rwebb35 said:

I remember seeing an article in one of the mags recently on how to make the 2017 yzf 2.9g tank work on a 2017 wr or fx.  I can't find this info anywhere. It was step by step instructions on how this mod is done. Can someone please help me out and point me in the right direction.

I don't think it was in a mag. it was on here. 

It fits fine.

Just takes some patience, pushing of some components higher on the fender, and a custom bracket for the battery, which you can make by modifying the stock bracket, or if you want to save it, from aluminum bar stock from any hardware store.

Nope, definetly was a mag article describing how the IMS yzf tank could be made to fit the wr or fx. Thanks for the replies guys!  Still interested in getting my eyes on this article.  Please post if anyone has info on this article.  If I find it I will post info.

Pretty sure it's in my bathroom somewhere. It was an article from one of the offroad team mechanics. They spelled out 2 things needed to fit up the tank: carve some material out of the seat for a smaller aftermarket battery (not a big deal), and then make your own wiring harness to relocate the kit...then gave absolutely zero detail on that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

8 hours ago, GHILL28 said:

Pretty sure it's in my bathroom somewhere. It was an article from one of the offroad team mechanics. They spelled out 2 things needed to fit up the tank: carve some material out of the seat for a smaller aftermarket battery (not a big deal), and then make your own wiring harness to relocate the kit...then gave absolutely zero detail on that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Yes, that was in either DB or Dirt Rider, and it's a bad idea to carve out the seat. It's a BS shortcut to relocation of the battery vs. relocation with a smaller battery.

Dirt Rider August 2017.

I just got a 2018 YZ 450 FX. Had it a week and haven't rode it yet! Stuff is coming to do this mod. Thin battery and 450F IMS with drybreak.  You saying there is a way, without cutting the seat, with the IMS? Or does the Acerbis have more room than the IMS in the important area? 

Edited by DirtDgr

I just have to ask why? What are you looking to gain? 2.5g vs 2.9g isn't going to significantly increase your riding time... The modifications such as cutting the seat, adding the Antigravity battery, additional wiring, etc are all going to be costly and time consuming...The modification mentioned in DR are very specific to a certain application (Pro Racing) and unless you need it, I see more headache than it worth... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monk said:

I just have to ask why? What are you looking to gain? 2.5g vs 2.9g isn't going to significantly increase your riding time... The modifications such as cutting the seat, adding the Antigravity battery, additional wiring, etc are all going to be costly and time consuming...The modification mentioned in DR are very specific to a certain application (Pro Racing) and unless you need it, I see more headache than it worth... 

Stock tank is 2.0 gal. Acerbis yz tank is no wider on the FX and WR and holds 2.9 gal. 

It made a big difference in riding time for me. 

6 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

The IMS is a pain, as it leaves no room for a battery without cutting out the seat. Even a 1/2 size battery.

Are only half my posts getting through?

You can simply buy a IMS 2.5g for a FX model. It literally bolts right in no problem. To go to a IMS 2.9g made for the F model, you'll need to do modifications. I don't see any really advantage of going through all the modifications just for a extra .4g unless you are looking for something specific... 

• Like 2

Just now, Monk said:

Are only half my posts getting through?

You can simply buy a IMS 2.5g for a FX model. It literally bolts right in no problem. To go to a IMS 2.9g made for the F model, you'll need to do modifications. I don't see any really advantage of going through all the modifications just for a extra .4g unless you are looking for something specific... 

....accept the IMS tank requires seat trimming at the filler....and a half a gallon is almost 20 miles, which is huge.

1 minute ago, THE KRAN said:

....accept the IMS tank requires seat trimming at the filler....and a half a gallon is almost 20 miles, which is huge.

From what I understand, IMS was going to make just a standard non drybreak setup. And your right, a 1/2 is a big deal of you plan on using every drop... If the OP is looking for a more race specific application, than doing the 2.9g option is somewhat pointless... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Monk said:

For racing it could eliminate a pit stop. Any time you can do that is worth it imo. I am just a Senior "A" racer. But those dudes haul ass! So it is worth the time in effort to me. Even for trail riding. If I can add 15-20 miles with the .4 gallons it is worth it. But I do not want the big fat radiator wings of the FX IMS 2.9 tank. The slimmer and hidden F tank is what I want. IMS is what I want and have always run. I like the company and want to support them.

Not any more money than the FX tank. Time yes. Head scratching yes. Also personally it adds to the coolness factor too. Honestly I figured there would be many people in here who have done it! I guess not. makes me want to do it even more lol!

35 minutes ago, DirtDgr said:

For racing it could eliminate a pit stop. Any time you can do that is worth it imo. I am just a Senior "A" racer. But those dudes haul ass! So it is worth the time in effort to me. Even for trail riding. If I can add 15-20 miles with the .4 gallons it is worth it. But I do not want the big fat radiator wings of the FX IMS 2.9 tank. The slimmer and hidden F tank is what I want. IMS is what I want and have always run. I like the company and want to support them.

Not any more money than the FX tank. Time yes. Head scratching yes. Also personally it adds to the coolness factor too. Honestly I figured there would be many people in here who have done it! I guess not. makes me want to do it even more lol!

I've ran both the 2.5g and 2.9g in racing. Racing offroad Vet A. Never made a pit stop on a shorter 3hr loop with either tank. Anything over the 3hr mark and you were going to be out for 4hrs. Neither tank would have made it so you had to stop either way. If fuel concerns are present, than a drybreak setup is the only way to go too... 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 6:25 PM, DirtDgr said:

Relocation of the stock battery isn't too hard. It fits nicely behind the left rear side panel. All the fuses and relays just get raised up under the seat. 

A YZ450F rear fender would make the install a little easier. The FX mounting bosses interfere with the back of the tank a little bit. Nothing too bad, just takes a little muscle to get the tank far enough back to install the mounting bolts. 

I really like the IMS 2.9 gallon tank. All the added weight from extra fuel is low and behind the rear shock. Keeps the front end feeling nimble. 

IMG_5201.JPG

IMG_5222.JPG

IMG_5223.JPG

Edited by Fly Low
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 6:25 PM, DirtDgr said:

:rolleyes: