Athena powervalves in oem cylinder

With Athena powervalves fit in an oem 05+ yz125 cylinder? I'm not concerned about length or profile they are going to be trimmed for big bore just want to know if they fit since they ate way cheaper.

10 minutes ago, nickmell said:

With Athena powervalves fit in an oem 05+ yz125 cylinder? I'm not concerned about length or profile they are going to be trimmed for big bore just want to know if they fit since they ate way cheaper.

Aren't they an OEM replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/Athena-S410485303009-Power-Valve-Assembly/dp/B003CJ72S4

A quick google turned this up.. should be same for newer models, Athena makes plenty OEM replacement parts.

+WOW I forgot how cheap that is, at least compared to Euro prices.. It's like $500 for a set over here. 

Edited by Narciss

3 minutes ago, Narciss said:

Aren't they an OEM replacement?

https://www.amazon.com/Athena-S410485303009-Power-Valve-Assembly/dp/B003CJ72S4

A quick google turned this up.. should be same for newer models, Athena makes plenty OEM replacement parts.

+WOW I forgot how cheap that is, at least compared to Euro prices.. It's like $500 for a set over here. 

That's the only place I've seen that says they are oem replacements most sites say they are for Athena cylinders. If no one says for sure then I'll give them a try, for the price it is worth a shot.

2 minutes ago, nickmell said:

That's the only place I've seen that says they are oem replacements most sites say they are for Athena cylinders. If no one says for sure then I'll give them a try, for the price it is worth a shot.

Seriously, that was the first hit I got on the interwebz. I remember scratching my head once around this too and while I'm not too sure what I concluded, I do have a strong association that it does fit.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, nickmell said:

Did they work/fit? Did they need much machining? Rebuilding 2006 YZ with the 144 Athena kit and I want to replace the cylinder with OEM cylinder bored to 144. Will the Athena p valves fit/work in the bored OEM cylinder?

22 minutes ago, Swappa said:

Did they work/fit? Did they need much machining? Rebuilding 2006 YZ with the 144 Athena kit and I want to replace the cylinder with OEM cylinder bored to 144. Will the Athena p valves fit/work in the bored OEM cylinder?

Haven't got around to ordering them yet. If you try it let me know please.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swappa said:

I tried Athena valves in oe cylinder bored to 58mm. Seemed to fit the same as OEM. Never started the bike, just looked so that I would know.

Awesome I'll have to give them a try then. Thanks for the update.

Just to be clear, all of my cylinders and powervaleves were/are second hand and so it's hard to know what others did before me, with respect to mix and matching parts. From what I could tell, they should cross over for 2005-2018 cylinders.

Note that the pv control arm, and return spring and plate definitely interchange between YZ125 2002-2018, Athena and Yamaha. I believe the powervalves are specific to YZ125 2002-2004 and then YZ125 2005-2015.

• Like 1