I NEED HELP

I have a 04 crf250x. the clutch just shit itself and now I don't know what to do. my friend said to get the whole Hinson clutch kit the $1000 because the clutch has never been replaced. I know for sure I have to replace the discs and springs. the basket and inner hub have slight grooving and rough edges on the pressure plate. the bike would also never roll in gear with the clutch pulled in. I don't know what to do. I was looking at Wiseco and Hinson but thinking about cheeping out on the discs with the tusk discs and spring set. so what should I replace, and what brand? is Hinson overrated and overpriced? also, I do not want to file the basket.   thanks     

I have used Hinson for replacement baskets but it seems that the Wiseco warranty is lifetime so that would be hard to beat. Where you'll run into a great expense would be on the Hinson inner hub and pressure plate, you may want to go with OEM Honda on those items. I only use OEM fiber plates as I've had bad experiences with aftermarket fibers but many others have reported good results with the Tusk kits.

• Like 1

check out the used listings a lot of clutch;s can be found in good condition on-line ,i also have an 04 good clutch unit so far i have no problems just plate changes..If you are riding a standard engine on trails go with a used item ,i can on occasion abuse my clutch i alo have a big bore kit etc it still does the job '' shop around

• Like 1

In 300+ hours I'm on my 2nd clutch. 

I recommend a search on an auction site or Thumpertalk or wherever for an OEM Honda Clutch pack for 150$. Includes friction plates, steel plates, o-ring, and springs.

Probably not worth putting in the big bucks on an older used 250 like ours.

While you'er at it spend 20 bucks for a new OEM clutch cable, you'll be glad you did I think.

I've tried a Motion Pro cable once and it was not as well made or durable as the OEM. 

Generally I really like Motion Pro, just not for that cable.

Good Luck

• Like 1

6 hours ago, motonuttois said:

In 300+ hours I'm on my 2nd clutch. 

I recommend a search on an auction site or Thumpertalk or wherever for an OEM Honda Clutch pack for 150$. Includes friction plates, steel plates, o-ring, and springs.

Probably not worth putting in the big bucks on an older used 250 like ours.

While you'er at it spend 20 bucks for a new OEM clutch cable, you'll be glad you did I think.

I've tried a Motion Pro cable once and it was not as well made or durable as the OEM. 

Generally I really like Motion Pro, just not for that cable.

Good Luck

very good points, ironically my clutch cable snapped the last ride so I ordered the OEM cable, pressure plate, and clutch pack. I also got the Wiseco clutch basket.

I've had good luck with the tusk clutch on my xr400, it lasted for 3 years of hard riding, now that my xr4 is my spare it finally needs a new clutch as my friend fried it last weekend, I'll probably stick with tusk for that bike. I've owned my 04crf250x for almost a year now, so far so good. But I am interested in what everyone is doing for clutch replacements on these bikes......