GREY LIQUID COMING OUT OF POWERVALVE BREATHER

Hi all, hope someone can help me. 2013 yz250 has 210 psi compression, starts first kick, has lots of power, idles fine. But I noticed some grey liquid mixed in with the oil coming out of the pv breather. IMG_2128.JPG

Any help would be great! Thanks !

Could be condensation, depending on your location. Could be a leaky head gasket, like the Inner O-ring. Does it always, or just recent. 

• Like 1

Could be condensation, depending on your location. Could be a leaky head gasket, like the Inner O-ring. Does it always, or just recent. 

I just bought the bike must've not have noticed it. Not sure I just noticed it now. I checked gear box oil it was a gold colour so I don't think it's the water pump seal.. but hoping its condensation and not head gasket inner seal. Not a big deal but I just had the bike half apart was re greasing the linkages lol fml

Water pump and gear box oil will never mix. There is an air gap between the seals. No way for it to get into jug either, crank and gear box are separate. Only can be condensation or coolant in cylinder. Run it hard when you get out, and check after 5-10 hours. 

• Like 1

Water pump and gear box oil will never mix. There is an air gap between the seals. No way for it to get into jug either, crank and gear box are separate. Only can be condensation or coolant in cylinder. Run it hard when you get out, and check after 5-10 hours. 

Check for low coolant level?
  • Like 1

What are the signs of a bad wet side crank seal? Excessive white smoke ?

Are you sure that's not just spooge? What type of oil are you mixing?

I have noticed when I use Lucas Semi syn (great oil by the way) the spooge is a lighter grey color. With Interceptor or Dominator it is a darker, blackish color.

• Like 2

Is it leaving a puddle and dripping, or is this the extent of it. If this is all you are getting, then it looks like oil mixing with water, could just be from washing it.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

Are you sure that's not just spooge? What type of oil are you mixing?
I have noticed when I use Lucas Semi syn (great oil by the way) the spooge is a lighter grey color. With Interceptor or Dominator it is a darker, blackish color.

Ha, I am using Lucas semi syn. Maybe that's what it's from ?
  • Like 1

Is it leaving a puddle and dripping, or is this the extent of it. If this is all you are getting, then it looks like oil mixing with water, could just be from washing it.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

It's running down the frame and leave a small puddle on the ground (dropping off the frame) i haven't washed the bike yet bought it used. I am running 40:1 Lucas semi synthetic. Stock exhaust stock reeds. Oem piston. At sea level running stock needle and 175 main and 48 pilot

So is it the type of oil I'm using or blown inner o ring gasket. Curious as to what I can check that would be causing this. The grey liquid is mixed in with the black spooge that is coming out of the PV breather. Not sure why a lot comes out either

I get it to, fully rebuild yz 250 with new jug, piston seals etc. Probably just some external water or color from oil spooge. If I let it drop on the ground it will leave a black spot. Wouldn't worry if it runs good :thumbsup:

Maybe if you put some mos2 fat in there during rebuild it might be it? I know I did and when I think about it that just be it! 

8 hours ago, ferrari96 said:

Ha, I am using Lucas semi syn. Maybe that's what it's from ?

I would be willing to bet that it is nothing more that spooge.

An easy experiment would be to drain the tank, mix some different premix, run it a while and see what comes out the tube. 

When I picked my YZ up, I had a bottle of Lucas. First ride I noticed the grayish spooge. Later I switched to Dominator, spooge turned blackish. 

Actually, I'm switching back to Lucas because it runs just as good (to me) and is much easier to get. One of our auto parts store stocks all of the Lucas products. I live in the boonies. The nearest bike shop is over an hour away!

Please report your findings, it could possibly help someone else out.

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet that it is nothing more that spooge.
An easy experiment would be to drain the tank, mix some different premix, run it a while and see what comes out the tube. 
When I picked my YZ up, I had a bottle of Lucas. First ride I noticed the grayish spooge. Later I switched to Dominator, spooge turned blackish. 
Actually, I'm switching back to Lucas because it runs just as good (to me) and is much easier to get. One of our auto parts store stocks all of the Lucas products. I live in the boonies. The nearest bike shop is over an hour away!
Please report your findings, it could possibly help someone else out.

Sure no worries man I'll give it a shot once my 20L jerry can is empty that has the Lucas in it. Just trying to figure out if the grey spooge is normal or bad. The coolant in the rad is still at the very top. Not sure if it's burning a little bit. Or if it's totally normal.

Totally normal. Usually black, sometimes gray. Keep an eye on it, it will probably turn black in a while. If it gets really excessive measure tranny oil coming out. Excessive amounts could be crank seal. The gray color in itself is nothing to worry about.

• Like 3

Totally normal. Usually black, sometimes gray. Keep an I am on it, it will probably turn black in a while. If it gets really excessive measure tranny oil coming out. Excessive amounts could be crank seal. The gray color in itself is nothing to worry about.

Perfect! Thanks a lot man, that took some weight off my chest! And last night I checked flywheel side crank seal. Everything looks dry in there. Any other tips or thinks to look for when diagnosing crank seals on the wet side? Excessive white smoke out the exhaust ??? Or just measure gear box oil when draining ?

Perfect! Thanks a lot man, that took some weight off my chest! And last night I checked flywheel side crank seal. Everything looks dry in there. Any other tips or thinks to look for when diagnosing crank seals on the wet side? Excessive white smoke out the exhaust ??? Or just measure gear box oil when draining ?

Yes, both. Excessive smoke and less tranny oil coming out than you put in after a few rides. Excessive puddle under PV breather tube. Lots of spooge. It is usually pretty noticeable when the wet crank seal starts going.
My sense is that you are good to go:-) Enjoy!

Yes, both. Excessive smoke and less tranny oil coming out than you put in after a few rides. Excessive puddle under PV breather tube. Lots of spooge. It is usually pretty noticeable when the wet crank seal starts going.
My sense is that you are good to go:-) Enjoy!

Well I do get a small puddle on the ground dropping out of the PV breather is that considered excessive ?

Well I do get a small puddle on the ground dropping out of the PV breather is that considered excessive ?

1 to 3 drips is normal.
You will be able to tell if it's a crank seal, you also get weird random lean symptoms with excessive oil burning.
Either way it won't hurt it to run it. Have fun, ride it, I'm sure it's fine. If it's not you'll know.

1 to 3 drips is normal.
You will be able to tell if it's a crank seal, you also get weird random lean symptoms with excessive oil burning.
Either way it won't hurt it to run it. Have fun, ride it, I'm sure it's fine. If it's not you'll know.

Ok thanks man. It runs all the way down the bottom of the frame till about the foot peg then drips about 3 drops. But I'll keep an eye on oil that I take out of the bike. But thanks for your help
  • Like 1