Help with sag.

I just picked up a 2015 yz250f that is bone stock with 25 hours. Stock suspension that has never been touched as far as I know. Still has the red shock spring (white bike). So I went to set the race sag before I hit the track and I was only able to get about 70-75 mm sag before the spring was out of adjustment and slack on the shock body. I'm 185 lbs, 195ish geared up and I thought for sure I'd be right in the correct weight range for all stock suspension. What gives? Aiming for about 105mm btw. Riding mostly sand tracks

Something is definitely off...either you're not measuring correctly, or it has a much stiffer spring on it.  I also have a '15, weight 185 lbs. and I'm able to run 107mm sag with the stock spring.

If it is indeed a stock spring, there should be a little paint mark on the bottom of the spring that will indicate the rate.  The manual will tell you what color is what spring rate.  Mine came with a 5.6.

I assume you got your starting number with the bike wheels off the ground (total length), then stood the bike up, lightly holding the handlebar, bounced the bike a few times, measured, bounced again, measure to get the static sag then measured again with you sitting on the bike, feet on the pegs, one helper lightly holding the bike vertical with another helper taking the race sag?

Also sag percentages are ball park numbers, all riders like it different, so do not obsess.

• Like 1