DMV screwing us again???

I bought a used bike Wednesday for which the previous owner had just renewed the plates.  Those plates were good until August of 2018.  BUT, when I transferred the title to my name today I was forced to buy new plates and pay for a full year of registration. The clerk said that it was now the policy of the DMV that whenever a title is transferred they now must issue a new license plate.  

Edited by oldgrunt

2 minutes ago, Russhole said:

Washington state requires new plates with title transfers. Cars, trucks, and motorcycles alike. So when people try to tell you "tabs are good til the end of the year" don't let that be a factor in how much you pay.

Exactly. I just moved out of the crap hole that is Seattle back to Montana. It cost me $350 to register my truck 3 weeks before I moved. I wasn't about to register my bike over there. It is $60 here for a permanent bike registration and plates. haha

• Like 2

Recently nearly EVERY time I stop by to license a new used bike the rules change AGAIN. It has not been the same on each visit for at least the last two years. I've bought four used bikes in the last two years. Yes, I know, I have a problem. :bonk: 

Yes, you can't inherit the old ORV tabs.... must start over or so I have been told the last few years. I go and buy another used bike last week and go to get new tabs. Tabs expire Oct 2016 so I say give me new ones starting in August 2017. They say NO, you will hafta pay $26 to go until Oct 2017 and then another $26 to go to Oct 2018 OR just renew it after 11Oct17 when one full year will have passed. License clerk (Snohomish County government employee) tells me that state wants their money for when they expired from Oct 2016 until Oct 2017. I said what if the bike sat in the garage for full year to which his reply was .... State's gonna get their money! And so my registration efforts will pause until after 11Oct17 thereby denying the state one full year of ORV tab money for one 22 year old ORV. :D

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 5

But if you're a bum, meth head, living in a motor home you are allowed to;

park free

drive without tabs

no license

no insurance

free to trespass

free to publicly intoxicate

free to publicly urinate and defecate 

steal bicycles

free healthcare

free ebt card

washington, sanctuary for bums and illegals!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

If you brush your teeth weekly then your RV will need tabs buddy.

I raced Vegas to Reno last week, in Reno I was bored waiting for the awards ceremony so I went for a walk. Never ever take the dirt path by the rail road tracks in any big city!

• Like 2

Don`t complain about it, be an informed voter. If people would have actually read the sound transit bill last fall, then it would not have passed. Sound transit is laughing their asses off cause of the general public` s stupidity. If we let them bend us over they will and have no problems doing it. Your politicians only care about how they can get into your pocket and nothing else. Your an idiot of you think otherwise.

Edited by Heb
  • Like 6

36 minutes ago, Heb said:

Don`t complain about it, be an informed voter. If people would have actually read the sound transit bill last fall, then it would not have passed. Sound transit is laughing their asses off cause of the general public` s stupidity. If we let them bend us over they will and have no problems doing it. Your politicians only care about how they can get into your pocket and nothing else. Your an idiot of you think otherwise.

I live in unincorporated King County (has it's own set of libtards on the Council and County Exec) but... I am outside the RTA thankfully. I feel sorry for all of you being bamboozled by Sound Extortion. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TigerTanker said:

And how about the rta tax. It went up 300 percent in one year. Some folks will see their renewals come in at $200-300 per year higher. 

My bikes now cost $200 per year to plate each. 

I register mine at an arlington address. Bill comes in Seattle at $230. Change the address knocks it down to > $100. Pick a tag agency close to me to pick them up and voila. F 'em.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, schrode said:

I register mine at an arlington address. Bill comes in Seattle at $230. Change the address knocks it down to > $100. Pick a tag agency close to me to pick them up and voila. F 'em.

I read this book about privacy thinking it was going to be one thing and it was another, really about living "off the grid" kind of privacy, not protect from identity thieves kind of privacy. Apparently, and the author supposedly did this, you can put up a mailbox on a rural route or somewhere in the sticks between two other addresses, put in the proper address and you can start getting your mail there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heb said:

Doesnt seem to matter. See the shenanigans king county elections is up to again? The are using a technicality to keep the drug injection votes off till Feb next year. Theya re doing this because they know once they implement it all they can use more technicalities to keep it in place. f them. Giving myself till spring next year before I am out of here job or no job.

7 hours ago, trackmaster said:

I raced Vegas to Reno last week, in Reno I was bored waiting for the awards ceremony so I went for a walk. Never ever take the dirt path by the rail road tracks in any big city!

I could have told you that haha. I work on the railroad. I don't even want to walk by the tracks lol

1 hour ago, Heb said:

I'm convinced it was rigged. I truly believe the voters voted no but the count was rigged for it to pass. Because most the entire night it was losing with most areas reported and then all the sudden it was winning..... And I also don't know a single person that voted yes for it and I know ALOT of really dumb people when it comes to politics and voting hahaha

Edited by jagr200

7 hours ago, jagr200 said:

I could have told you that haha. I work on the railroad. I don't even want to walk by the tracks lol

In Reno the tracks were not the worst place but definitely not a good spot to be! 

Couple times in Reno I found myself in the position of should I march on or should I turn back?

40 minutes ago, rancher1 said:

The state should be required to refund unused tab fees when a vehicle is sold. There should be a law requiring it. It should be illegal to collect fees for the same vehicle more than once for the same period of time.

Similarly, the use tax needs to go away. Collect sales tax once rather than into eternity. 

• Like 2