New Guy, just got an 04 YZ450F for FREE!

whats up guys,

Im new here, and want to get your opinions on my new bike. heres my story. 

I grew up in north GA(still there now) and was riding either an ATV or dirtbike throughout my whole childhood and well into my teens. Fast forward to 30 years old and I haven't ridden a motorcycle but a handful of times in the past 10 years. A good friend of mine has had this bike sitting under his deck for at least a year or so and i finally just asked him if he's ever going to do anything with it. He told me " Its torn up and not worth fixing, you can have the dam**d thing." So here I am with a 2004 YZ450F that has a chunk missing out of the crank case about the size of a golf ball. It has taken me back to all the good times I used to have riding, and I really want to get it running. The case is broken where the kick starter gear sits in the right crank case half, and one of the teeth on the starter gear is broken off. I don't want to throw more money into this thing than its worth, but I don't mind spending some to bring it back to life if it can be done reasonably. My main question is this.. Do I just buy a crankcase half off of eBay and swap it all out and try to start it up? and how do I tell if the motor is even in good enough shape to mess with? I was told it ran fine till the case broke when he was trying to start it, but it didn't want to go into 4th gear.. What would you do in my position? I'm fairly mechanically inclined (generally) but I just don't know all that much about these things. Its also going to need at a bare minimum a gas tank, and new sprockets and chain. Any light that can be shed on this would be greatly appreciated. I tried to attach the pictures I have taken of the issues, but the uploads keep failing for whatever reason.. 

anyways , thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

I just bought another 2003 for $1100. It needed a shift shaft at a bare minimum. While I was in there I have replaced the clutch basket with a Barnett($60) and a few other miscellaneous parts such as bolts and screws etc. Just small stuff that needed fixing up. I'm in it about $1500 and I think it is well worth it. Haven't even ridden it. But it did fire up on the first kick and went through the gears with a pair of vice grips. It is clear my bike has been sitting for atleast a year. The rotors are heavily rusted and it was covered in dust. But one kick and she fired up. The most expensive thing I bought was a used FMF slip on for $160. I'll be getting most of my parts in tomorrow and I'll rebuild the forks and finish the basket install and then shim the valves and get ripping on her.

So yes. I think it would be worth putting some money in. I don't know what your crankcase is going to cost used but I would easily put $1500 into it. You will have a reliable bike that will seriously run forever if you just take care of it and do the maintenance.

• Like 1

Trouble going into 4th gear. So like the normal issue with these models. Needs a new shift fork. I just did it on my 03 yz450f that I also got for $1100. Not hard and I have a manual I could email/pm to you. Biggest thing with rebuilding and engine is staying organized and clean.

Also what is wrong with the gas tank? Just missing?

• Like 1

Thanks for your imput jagr and Jw. The threaded part that the gas cap screws onto is completely broken off.. not sure why or how but theres just a big hole in the top of the tank now. I just found the half of the crankcase that i need on eBay for 240 bucks so I ordered it! as far as the whole not going int 4th gear thing.. Im assuming that is a common problem? and would it be something that I should take on when I pull everything apart to put the new crankcase on? and how would I verify that it does need a new shift fork for sure? I would gladly take a copy of the manual if its not much trouble. Thanks again for everything! keep any info coming every little bit helps!

• Like 1

I figured out how to upload my photos.. Here's some pictures so you can see what I'm working with.

• Like 1

Get new case half check tranny throw new crank bearings and piston in her and run it :thumbsup: for free even if you put a grand in it will be nice bike. Buddy raced one of them brandnew back then. Fast bike 

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 2

Yes. If you are going to be splitting the cases I would definitely check out 4th gear. The issue is the shift fork. I can send you a picture of my old ones so you know what your looking for. Also one of the bearings commonly is bad but check all the bearing while your in there. I believe it was the one that supports the clutch shaft not the output shaft. When checking bearings don't just spin them. To test a bearing you need to put a load on them. So leave the bearing in the case and push down on the inner race as hard as you can and slowly rotate it. ANY burrs or bumps felt when rotating and the bearing is no good or at least one it's way out and should be replaced. Again I have a manual for these years I should be able to pm or email you if you want it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J9McGaha said:

Thanks for your imput jagr and Jw. The threaded part that the gas cap screws onto is completely broken off.. not sure why or how but theres just a big hole in the top of the tank now. I just found the half of the crankcase that i need on eBay for 240 bucks so I ordered it! as far as the whole not going int 4th gear thing.. Im assuming that is a common problem? and would it be something that I should take on when I pull everything apart to put the new crankcase on? and how would I verify that it does need a new shift fork for sure? I would gladly take a copy of the manual if its not much trouble. Thanks again for everything! keep any info coming every little bit helps!

The manual can be found on the yamaha.eu site for free. I downloaded it the other day. I would plan on doing a full rebuild while you are splitting the case. Rockymountainatvmc.com is really good for parts I have already found out. And super fast shipping. You could buy pretty much everything you need to rebuild it and fix your shift fork and other broken parts for under $1,000(including the case you already bought.)

I also have a fuel tank I would sell you if you are interested. Message me and we can work out a price on it. 

• Like 1

Well, I finally got around to ordering hopefully all of my parts. I went ahead and ordered a bottom end rebuild kit, new spark plug, air filter etc.. When I was stripping the bike down I found out that both exhaust pipes were pretty severely damaged, so I got on eBay and lucked up and found a guy selling a used titanium FMF full exhaust system for pretty cheap. He also wound up having pretty much all the rest of the parts that I need (gas tank, kick starter gear assembly, fender, bars ) so I got a great deal on the whole package and now I can't wait to get going. I hope to make some more progress in the next few days..