I have recently bought a YZ 250 2001 (1700 $)and the plastics looked cracked and dry rotted for lack of a better term. Under the graphics they were mint condition literally brand new looking. Is there any way that I could restore them so that I won't need to special order tank shrouds. I already ordered a rear fender for 17.99 it looked beyond repair to me. I tried the razor blade trick but that just took way to long. Thanks Guys this is my first post so roast easy. least its a two stroke right? Runs great and tons of power. 

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4900.jpg

IMG_4901.jpg

IMG_4902.jpg

Depends on what value your time has. I would just buy a plastic kit or new shroud decals. 

You can always sand/wet sand.

• Like 2

I have recently bought a YZ 250 2001 (1700 $)and the plastics looked cracked and dry rotted for lack of a better term. Under the graphics they were mint condition literally brand new looking. Is there any way that I could restore them so that I won't need to special order tank shrouds. I already ordered a rear fender for 17.99 it looked beyond repair to me. I tried the razor blade trick but that just took way to long. Thanks Guys this is my first post so roast easy. least its a two stroke right? Runs great and tons of power. 

IMG_4895.jpg.228aa7884182365e847bc4ec3b49ca78.jpg
IMG_4896.jpg.8750e02522e48dfe496fbba55f3c73fc.jpg
IMG_4897.jpg.6a28733e946a6e3f06c050c462c24408.jpg
IMG_4900.jpg.59aebde2f769f06d12b1e55c03221b0b.jpg
IMG_4901.jpg.f34ec43a344ce84308a2c42688b31c48.jpg
IMG_4902.jpg.696dda417fc4b0e202110e2548058a31.jpg

Nice. The bike looks mint! Get on and pin it! Put a few marks on them!

Can also just buy a graphics kit if that's what you into.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tchetek said:

Nice. The bike looks mint! Get on and pin it! Put a few marks on them!

Can also just buy a graphics kit if that's what you into.

Hey hear this. I changed the oil and it was clear red. I bought it from a 50-60 year old dude who laid it out and parked it. He said it has literally zero seat time. which seeing that it has the original tire from 16 years ago, I'd believe it. He said he got it 10 years ago from auction and said it looked literally new 1500$. I have no idea how he got it so cheap especially when it was basically brand new. So I jumped on it and it has tons of get up and go. Ordered new tire filter oil all 9 yards and might get a 50$ ebay special graphics kit for kicks and giggles. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLU-PTS3-TEAM-GRAPHICS-YAMAHA-YZ125-YZ250-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000-2001/401228150596?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908131621%26meid%3Dfc4bb8b2f42643beba6352db505a0b1c%26pid%3D100678%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D401228150596&_trksid=p2481888.c100678.m3607&_trkparms=pageci%3A72703ea8-8d2e-11e7-bf76-74dbd1801ea1%7Cparentrq%3A310f207115e0aa1621432b94fff9d279%7Ciid%3A1 I just want to hear yalls thoughts. I don't love the black Pipe tho. Any way to change color of it without paying 200 plus for FMF. Thought about sanding and painting it engine block color that metallic grey color.  I just don't know how good it would last. I love working on projects and transforming old bikes into new ones for least amount possible. I think its a sweet candidate. 

I have never tried this myself, but I heard a decal heat gun will anneal the white spots and imperfections.

I'm sure there's a temp you have to reach, but a line you don't want to cross.

I don't think heat will be enough to get these cracks out they look couple mm thick but not reaching the other side. I'm just looking for someone who has done somthing like this before. It's 45$ for plastics which isn't bad but if I don't need to spend it I won't :) they look great other than the fine cracks and skuffs on the white ones. 

An entire plastics kit from eBay for your bike is $100 shipped. That is the route you should take. No time or sanding will make those look how you want. 

• Like 2

I've see spray paint for plastic, but have never used it.

You could sand the plastic with 400-1500 grit sandpaper, then spray several light coats, letting each coat dry before you spray the next.

Another option is to leave it as is, and have fun and ride.

For me, new plastic is near the bottom of my want/need list, as my boots and knee braces will make short of plastic after a few rides.

8 hours ago, kNewc said:

An entire plastics kit from eBay for your bike is $100 shipped. That is the route you should take. No time or sanding will make those look how you want. 

Problem with most of those very cheap ebay plastics kits is the quality of the plastic.  If you wreck, the plastic literally explodes rather than bends.  Seen it a bunch.

Nice bike man, it looks great to me.  If you plan to ride it like it is a dirt bike, then don't make yourself crazy trying to make it look perfect, it's a losing battle, been there, done that.  Keep it tuned, keep your air filter clean, and ride the shit out of it, that's what they are built for.

• Like 3

Silicone spray for the plastics, shines them right up. Whatever you do don't paint the plastics, you'll end up with a mess, same as the exhaust 

i ride woods mostly and am trying to learn super slow, clocked wheelies. so ive been a Plastics Surgeon here recently. Not anything to do with the finishing layer youre talking about. But im with JeepCreep, plastics are almost a losing battle. esp in the woods. but check out what ive frankenstein'd. Im a tad OCD when it comers to working order and a clean bike after i ride, so this gives me a slight twitch, but not too bad. 

21147294_1910598005861577_7729593677005193216_n.jpg

It's a 17 y/o bike. Unless you plan on entering it in a show, put your graphics on and ride it. It looks a lot better than bikes I've seen 15 years newer.

That red oil might have been transmission fluid; an acceptable gearbox lube for many. (What is the best oil by the way?:facepalm:)

2 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

That red oil might have been transmission fluid; an acceptable gearbox lube for many. (What is the best oil by the way?:facepalm:)

Oh no you dit-ent!

Ive seen people do some good work with a razor on end scratching off the outer layer of plastic, then hitting it with a heat gun to melt the surface and get that shine back... will it look like new or be worth the time as others have said? Probably not.

That being said, if you top it off with a coat of that 'wipe-new' stuff thats as-seen-on-tv you might be able to get some luster back for a few bucks while you decide what to do going forward. Hell, even combine the wet sanding, heat process, and wipe-new and i bet youll get pretty close to a half decent finish back. 

GOOOOOOOD Luck!

They will most likely be very brittle if you do get the cracks out of it. I'd find new ones if you are going to put graphics on it. If not ride it until they break.

7 hours ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Oh no you dit-ent!

10 hours ago, 76xtdrvr said:

It's a 17 y/o bike. Unless you plan on entering it in a show, put your graphics on and ride it. It looks a lot better than bikes I've seen 15 years newer.

Nah it was betray trans gear oil all is good runs like a bat out of hell fun stuff I think I'm going to let it be. The edges have started to crack off but who cares like others have said time it would take isn't worth it. Thanks boys!