Just came across this thread on Tour of Idaho and Martin Hackworth. If anyone is even considering getting involved with Tour of Idaho and Martin Hackworth, beware. He not only gives misleading information about the trail conditions, navigation and his supposed "vast" network of people on the trail (we ran into more than one business owner who he claimed were his pals that don't know him or despise him for various reasons) he's never even done the Tour of Idaho as it is today that he designed himself and doesn't ride the trails as he claims. Martin Hackworth makes up and adds trail sections all the time from his computer to what once was a pretty cool ride.  It used to be a fun (not that technical) multi day ride, but it's evolved over the years changing from year to year with now more unnecessary loops, out and backs, and not that fun single tracks due to downfall and other trail conditions. When more people started coming to the great state of Idaho to ride these trails and found Tour of Idaho and Martin Hackworth online he started playing games with people trying to make it sound like the Tour of Idaho has been this gnarly all along, but I know all these trails, both current and past, and it's changed a lot.  It isn't designed to be completed, it's designed for his ego and amusment (he likes to watch guys and their trackers as they're getting blown out or injured while trying to follow the Tour of Idaho and Martin Hackworth "rules"). He even sends people out on trails he knows are closed. All I'm saying, do your homework on Tour of Idaho and Martin Hackworth before signing up to use his suggested routes, navigation or trail information. Talk to guys that have dealt with him. Many, many guys have trusted Tour of Idaho and Martin Hackworth to find themselves rolling in at midnight or later day after day, no hotel, no dinnner, sleeping in the dirt. Most guys that go out and ride these trails don't care about Tour of Idaho or Martin Hackworth's "rules" or games he plays with people, but just want to ride some awesome trails in a great state. If you want to do a multi day ride south to north in Idaho my suggestion would be to do your own homework, talk to the many Idaho riders and plan a fun multi day ride and go for it. Just don't rely on Tour of Idaho or Martin Hackworth. Especially don't rely on the FB postings alone. Martin Hackworth deletes and removes any people or postings from the Tour of Idaho FB groups that he sees as derogatory or negative in anyway. So if you only read the moto jazz or FB stuff, you will only be getting information Martin Hackworth has himself filtered. You just can't trust what Martin Hackworth puts out on Tour of Idaho. If you do, you'll end up blown out after a couple of days clearing downed logs on trails Martin advertised are clear, getting bad GPS (some of them literally run in circles) coordinates and/or not having a hotel reservation you thought you did. We love Idaho and want more people to come and have great experiences, and come back. It's a fun place to ride with a lot to offer. Just don't think Tour of Idaho or Martin Hackworth is the way to plan a fun multi day riding adventure in Idaho. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

Holy shit,

Idahoriders (is that plural?) I am guessing that you also think that Global Warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Gineese!!  As stated in the last few posts, just because you were not up to the task don't blame Martin. One of the first things you will notice on the mojazz site is that a prerequisite for even attempting this challenge is the ability to read for comprehension. I am thinking that this is one of the skills in which you are lacking. If you were going around in circles you might want to buff up those navigating skills as well. Martin rides all of those trails and spends a great deal of his time sawing them, as do a number of others in the northern sections of the trail. When we rode it we sawed for hours on some sections and did get into places at 1 in the morning and slept on the ground a few times. We rode till we dropped from exhaustion and I was a couple of months shy of 60 when we completed the challenge. That is part of the adventure and challenge of it all. Every year there is one person that comes along that just does not get it. They want to just get on their bike and follow a line on their GPS with no issues. Unfortunately you are one of those. Just because your riding ability is not what you believed it was there is no reason to be a piss baby about it. Perhaps you should buy yourself a Harley and stay on the pavement, that way you can blame the government when you have problems understanding highway signs. Your posts are laughable at best.

Holy shit,
Idahoriders (is that plural?) I am guessing that you also think that Global Warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Gineese!!  As stated in the last few posts, just because you were not up to the task don't blame Martin. One of the first things you will notice on the mojazz site is that a prerequisite for even attempting this challenge is the ability to read for comprehension. I am thinking that this is one of the skills in which you are lacking. If you were going around in circles you might want to buff up those navigating skills as well. Martin rides all of those trails and spends a great deal of his time sawing them, as do a number of others in the northern sections of the trail. When we rode it we sawed for hours on some sections and did get into places at 1 in the morning and slept on the ground a few times. We rode till we dropped from exhaustion and I was a couple of months shy of 60 when we completed the challenge. That is part of the adventure and challenge of it all. Every year there is one person that comes along that just does not get it. They want to just get on their bike and follow a line on their GPS with no issues. Unfortunately you are one of those. Just because your riding ability is not what you believed it was there is no reason to be a piss baby about it. Perhaps you should buy yourself a Harley and stay on the pavement, that way you can blame the government when you have problems understanding highway signs. Your posts are laughable at best.

Just curious? Are you for sending rider's out on trails which have NOT been cleared?

Martin claimed to have cut 100-150 tree's this season. Have you ever read the Idaho State Park's trail rangers trail reports? They cut more than that off of one trail. As do I and other volunteers.

What I witness is rider's going around the downfall. Cutting paths around down tree's with one's handsaw.

Your definition of "Adventure", appears to be man up and get through? Irregardless if the trail has been cleared.

I met two TOI rider's on the trail a few week's ago. They spoke of the trail the previous day. 16 hour flogging is how they described it. No evidence some trails had been cleared. Going around and lifting bike's over downfall. On a trail Martin said was cleared before these rider's departed on their bucket list ride. Arrived to late to check in to lodging. Or eat dinner.

The RIDAHO group recognized the issue is legitimate and this year rider's have carried chainsaws. The same recommendation on the TOI FB page, last year, got TVTMA member and trail volunteer Brian King banned from the TOI FB page.

Such rides would be great if it resulted in a "cleared" route. And accurate report's of the location of new fall.

The issue is the resource damage caused by rider's he'll bent on getting through to one's destination. Such rider's are NOT clearing the trail. They are "getting through". Passable trails are not "cleared" trails. A rider gets through and more follow.

The Idaho State ride was held in July. Many volunteers worked very hard for week's to clear and bench washout trails. The KLIM Cowtag ride, two year's in a row sent rider's out on trails not cleared or covered in snow. First hand account's and YouTube video's show rider's going off trail to get around downfall or snow drifts. Many celebrate the "Adventure", getting, through, around and over. I see the destruction of pristine mountian trails.

Trail riding is NOT an Endurocross, Hard Enduro, Erzberg, Romaniacs...Trail riding is about staying on the trail and leaving no trace/minimal impact.

Your comments appear to encourage getting through, irregardless of the impact? Where do you draw the line and turn back? Cutting Switchbacks to get around downfall is that okay? Problem with turning back is your going around/off trail again, as you backtrack.

I suggest it would be better to say it is "cleared" to this point, or this segment is "cleared". Then the next rider(s) keep on clearing.

The rider's I met did NOT get accurate trail report's from Martin Hackworth. Passable is defined as you can get through. Over and around all the downfall, washouts...

I cleared trail alone before meeting two TOI rider's on the trail later in the day. After they had been flogged the day before, 16 hour's on the trail. They did NOT describe the Adventure as fun. Disappointed that their bucket list Adventure was misrepresented.

• Like 2

Jimmy Lewis comment's in his video that the gps track's are not accurate.

How does this occur if Martin rode the entire route? Simple he did not ride the entire route, he created routes from map's. MVUM's have lot's of map errors.

• Like 1

It's a great observation, that many/most Tour of Idaho folks have that same experience, disappointment. Not in the riding or Idaho scenery, but the information about trail conditions and navigation they were given (see mine and others' posts about Tour of Idaho and Martin's deletion of riders' comments on navigation and trail conditions posts from his Facebook page). Truth is, many guys could and should take chainsaws, at least on some days, then be given credit for that extra work, like not having to complete a "challenge" section or the like. I too have witnessed many Tour of Idaho riders doing these gnarly "go arounds" of the downfall that was reported by Martin as being clear. It tears the trail up and gives authorities argument to limit trail access. And it should. There's no reason for it. And some of these downed trees have been there for many seasons, so they're not freshly fallen trees (Tour of Idaho says that trees fall all the time and if you come up on one it must have just fallen because Martin himself clears these trails every year, not true). 

I ride with a saw (chainsaw) early season, then just a handsaw later season. If I come on a log I can't get with my handsaw in late season, I usually come back with my chainsaw later or put the word out there's an area that needs chainsaw attention.  And kudos to all you other riders out there who I know do the same thing. 

Jimmy Lewis said in his video many times that the navigation information he was given by Martin was innacurate. He also politely explains that the trail conditions explained to him were also misleading. It's hard to be an ultimate authority on something if you haven't done the thing yourself. Tour of Idaho and Martin shouldn't delete guys' postings (or limit the Facebook page/group for that matter) if Martin doesn't like the question or way someone else answers it. If a rider asks a question, and another rider tries to post an answer, Martin screens the question and answer and won't let either be posted unless he approves. And he straight up deletes posts and removes riders from the group if he senses you're going against him. Too bad because there's a lot of riders with a lot more experience riding these trails and Tour of Idaho than Martin. 

• Like 1