how much oil does the xr650l hold in frame and reservoir

so a group of hooligan children ran through my town causing damage to peoples property and unfortunately my bike was a part of the destruction, i started my bike the other morning to findd the motor ticking and checked the oil to find that 1.5 quarts out of 2 has been drained from the bike, so my question is does the frame hold 1.5 quarts because if it does then they drained the oil from the frame bolt which is completely exposed and easy to open. luckily i caught it immediately  and did an oil change and the tick went away ( for now). no metal shavings in the .5 quart of iol i drained but, how screwed is my motor? and does the frame hold 1.5 quarts? im trying to figure out what happened because it doesnt burn and it doesnt leak oil so my only other thought is these &%$#@! kids.

Not sure how much in frame only, other than it is the bulk of the capacity.

If you ran for a short period of time only probably no damage.

If you didn't rev up the motor or put it under a load, don't worry about it.  Just keep the thing topped off and it should be fine.

I've personally proven that an XR650L will still run on just half a quart of oil.  Just not for very long at full throttle going up a long hill. :(

You better keep an eye on your oil because nobody drained it , it's going out the exhaust. 

3 hours ago, JoeRC51 said:

You better keep an eye on your oil because nobody drained it , it's going out the exhaust. 

Yeah, I'm curious if there was obviously oil all over the ground or did those hooligans use an oil drain pan? :ph34r:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, brraaapperdoodle said:

Yeah, I'm curious if there was obviously oil all over the ground or did those hooligans use an oil drain pan? :ph34r:

AND they put the drain plug back in ?  :facepalm: This is the dumbest ''thread'' EVER.

• Like 1

It was time about time to change my oil so this did get me to check some amounts just to know.  After a few minutes of riding to warm it up it was a touch below the full mark on the stick (but basically full) with the bike straight up on a jack.  I pulled everything (including the downtube screen but not the side cover or sump screen) and let it drain overnight in brand new/used Cool Whip tubs and measured it in a paint mixing container.  

23 oz. out of the sump drain plug

44 oz. out of the downtube 

5 or 6 oz. (tough to catch all of it) out of the filter housing and regular paper filter (I didn't crush it to squeeze any out. I just let it sit and drain)

I usually fill up with a soup of whatever scrap oil I have leftover from other stuff but this time it got a load of full synthetic 10W-40 store brand oil a neighbor gave me.  It's the first time so it'll probably blow up on me.

Edited by Hollerhead